Oil Pan...How hard to remove?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pan...How hard to remove?

I would like to remove my oil pan on my 2000 4.2 4X4 5 speed F150. It has 170K and I want to take off the oil pan and clean the pan/bottom end and replace with a new gasket. It leaks from the gasket now and the front (seal?) Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably not that hard to due, but will be time consuming. I'm not sure how to do it, but you could look on AllData and find all the bolt patterns and parts/tools needed.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by elite
I would like to remove my oil pan on my 2000 4.2 4X4 5 speed F150. It has 170K and I want to take off the oil pan and clean the pan/bottom end and replace with a new gasket. It leaks from the gasket now and the front (seal?) Thanks
your either leaking from your timing cover or front crank seal. Make sure you are actually leaking from your pan before you pull it. Mine looks identical to what a leaking pan looks and its just my front seal and timing cover gasket that went. The air flow when Im driving sprays the oil all over the sides and bottom of the pan giving it a blown oil pan gasket look. Being Im super lifted I can sit under it and look and see that its not.

Just make sure what you are doing is right before you do it. No sense in replacing something that was fine to begin with.

Also it is pretty tight in there. You will need some extensions, angle attachments for your ratchet, and preferably air tools. Other than that I dont recall anything else being in the way. You could always drop the front diff down if you really need to. I think that would be easier than pulling the engine if worst comes to worst.

Check out v6f150. That forums has specific 4.2 stuff which is a ton more helpful when you are dealing with stuff like this.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
It really looks like it is leaking from the front seal underneath the fan, AND the pan itself. The Haynes manual said that the front diff would need to be dropped, but it doesnt look like it needs to be. Has anyone done this before?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just wait for the Raptor-05121 instructional video.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I did this particular job a couple times when i still had my 2000 F150 V6. It is not very difficult if you have the right tools. First you have to Jack the truck up and slide two jackstands under the front crossmember to support the frame. Then remove the middle crossmember the curves around the back of the oil pan. Once you get that out of the way just remove the four bolts that hold the front diff and let it drop down on the lower A-arms. One all that is out of the way just get your ratchet and extensions and remove all the bolts for the oil pan. Remember to get the bolts that attach it to the tranny as well. After that it will slide down and back right into your hands.

The gasket is not an actual "gasket" as you may be expecting. It is acutally just sealed with RTV sealant. Once you remove the pan get a razor blade and scrape every inch of it clean, including the engine mating surface. Be very careful when doing this as it will NOT seal well unless you evenly apply the sealant all the way around the pan. Aslo take your time when installing it as well. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I know on a 97 2wd u have to pull the motor.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
i had to pull my enine out of my 99 4.2L

Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
2wd doesn't have a removable crossmember. Either pull engine, or remove trans and raise engine. That probably wouldn't give enough room to fully remove the oil pan, but enough room to get your arm in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan...How hard to remove?