2006 F150 Front Hub issues

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F150 Front Hub issues

I have a 2006 F150 that I bought new and have only owned for 14 months. The truck is once again ( for the 4th time) in the shop for the front hubs. Everytime I put the truck into 4x4 I hear an awful grinding noise and clunk as soon as I throw the lever into 4x4. Once I come out of 4x4 and back into 4x2 my hubs don't seem to want to release and I hear grinding noises until I put the truck back into 4x4 several times to get the noise to go away. The dealer has replaced the hubs, actuators and solinoids 2 times, replaced the vaccuum canister 1 time. Now they are telling me that the condition is caused by my tires. Supposedly there is a bulletin out informing the mechanics to measure the diameter of the tires and that there can not be any more than 1/4 inch difference between all 4 tires. My tires (which were replace 6 months ago because they shook the truck so violently going down the highway) were more than 1 inch difference. They gave me new tires and sent me on my way. After using the 4x4 several times, the noise is still present and the hubs continue to feel like they are not fully disengaging STILL. This truck has been a night mare.

I asked the dealer if they could loan me another truck while my truck was in the shop, and I was informed that the service dept did not hand out trucks anymore, so I called my salesman who hooked me up with another 2006 F150 that had been traded in. 5 minutes after my salesman called me to let me know he could hook me up the sales manager calls me and says that he is not going to give a loaner truck because I did not give the dealer very good marks on my survey after my last experience there. what a bunch of crap that is. I would think that if a customer had a bad experience they would jump through hoops to make the next experience better, RIGHT. What the Hell. I am about ready to give this POS back.

anyone else have issues like this

Old 02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problems like that. Take it to another dealer.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the lemon law apply to your truck?
The hubs has a spring actuated lock up collar to keep the hubs engaged at all times. Inside this is a vacuum diaphragm that pulls back on the spring to release when in 4x2. If you had previously experienced grinding then the splines on the ½ shaft may have been damaged and are causing it to stick in the engaged position.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 F150 Front Hub issues