Oil filter location

Old 12-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter location

Where is the oil filter located, how hard is it to change, and what is the easiest way to get at it on my 5.4L?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm assuming you have a 2007, should be, if you are standing in front of the engine, on the bottom of the engine on you're right. Driver side front of engine angled at about 45 degrees. From what I gather, it can be a pain to change, something to learn a technique and remember it. How hard can it really be, millions sold with this so far. My old 2000 is easy, once you learn how to position yourself to replace it.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Yes 2007.

It looks like oil will spill all over the front diff and skid plate. Any ideas?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by wreedKR
Yes 2007.

It looks like oil will spill all over the front diff and skid plate. Any ideas?
It does exactly that.

I use a thin piece of aluminum, I guess about 8" x 12" or so, bent to form a channel. I slip it under the filter and it's long enough to angle downward, over the cross member to the front of the truck. The oil drains from the filter and runs down the aluminum into my catch pan at the front. It's crude and simple, but it keeps the oil off the skid plate and diff. I'd love to see what others have come up with.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Stephen could you post pics of your design/setup when you have time.

Im also intrested to see what others do.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Watch out, nothing you can do about it really. ASAP, get the filter turned so it won't spill out, but that might not be the easiest thing to do. Mine has a plastic shield that directs the oil around the mentioned things, your's should too. I've never done the newer engines, just looked at them a bit, I wished I could offer more. My brother has an 08 Limited AWD and he's a sissy having the dealer change the oil so he's useless for info.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 PM
dude those 4x4 oil filters are a pain in the ***.at least with the factory flter they put them on way too tight.get a oil filter deal that goes on a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet and thats the best i have figured out,i dont know the name of it.i work at a dealer and it took me awhle to figure it out the first time.take the filter off slowly and most of the oil will run down the front little catch sheild peice that is under the filter.if any does get on the skid plate and front diff it isnt a big deal.just wipe it down and keep on trucking.btw if you have a 5.4 it takes 7 quarts of oil.hope this helps.it hard for me to explain it i just do it i guess.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Filter is very easy to change and you should not have any problem with spillage. There is a plastic "channel" on top the front axle that will allow the oil to drain BEHIND the axle. As long as you do not dump oil to the front when you take off the filter, everything will go behind the axle. Then just wipe off the plastic channel.
As already stated, use the cup style filter wrench made to fit the FL-820S, a 10" extension, and a ratchet. Very easy to get off.
As already stated, the original filter is tight. Tight enough that I let the dealer do the first, which was free from him anyway.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Can anyone give me a ford part number for oil filter socket? I tried a couple of them at OReillys and they didn't fit the motorcraft filter. Thanks,

Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by John Patterson
Can anyone give me a ford part number for oil filter socket? I tried a couple of them at OReillys and they didn't fit the motorcraft filter. Thanks,
I believe it's 93mm 15 flutes. Just look for the fl820s. Most cap filters have the filter compatability on the cap.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Patterson
Don't bother about a Ford part number. I would try Advance Auto Parts if you have one near you. If Advance Auto don't have one just SHOP AROUND at any place that carrys auto parts.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Taking the filter with me again today to try out other brands at local shops. Thanks,

Old 02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i use a aluminum sheet from work to drain away from the front diff. go to your local press at night and ask for a used "plate" lol. you'll even get some ink with it.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let the dealer do the first oil change... Or, better yet, before you drive it off the lot, tell them you want the filter changed. The factory does not lubricate the rubber seal when they install the first one, and it darn near welds itself to the oil filter adapter housing... It's a royal pain to get off of there.

Subsequent filters should have a little bit of oil rubbed on the seal to prevent that from happening again. Do that, and you'll never have the issue again.

-Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil filter location