Horn And Cruise Control

Old 01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horn And Cruise Control

I bought a '99 F-150 XLT 4X4 and picked it up last night. On the way home, I couldn't get the cruise control to work (it has already been in for the recall to install the fusible link.) Today, I tried to honk the horn, and realized that it doesn't work either. I read through the threads talking about the clockspring and relay. Which would it be if my airbag light is NOT on?

The only other thing wrong with it is that darned intermittent digital odometer, which I've already learned how to fix from the tacked thread.

Last edited by M4Madness; 01-29-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
My horn and cruise went, brought it to the garage and the guy popped in a new fuse for my cruise for free, but he said the horn was fried. Still havent fixed it and its been over a year.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I have the Same Problem, Its a Under the hood Relay its # 205. Now finding a relay is going to be a problem. i got mine though partsamerica.com aka Advance auto off the net. Try takeing one like #204 out and putting it in
# 205, If you got a horn then you got a bad relay.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I picked up the relay that Autozone said was the right one, and proceeded to try it out. I don't have the owner's manual, so I just had to experiment. I looked in the engine compartment fuse box. There were three just like it, and one empty space without one. I tried it in the empty space and substituted it for all three of the others, and none of them made the horn work.

Can it still be the clockspring, even though my airbag light is not staying on? It comes on at start-up, then goes out like it should.

EDIT: I just downloaded the owner's manual from the internet, and it says that the horn relay is #205. I checked just now, and that's not even one of the relays I tried. The one autozone sold me was one of the bigger ones. Hopefully I can track the one I need down at the local dealership, and it'll fix it.

Last edited by M4Madness; 01-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, today I swapped the horn/cruise relay with one of the other ones in the fuse box, and it still didn't work.

Is it possible for the clockspring to be bad, yet the airbag still work?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah Could be but doesnt the cruse not work?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by jspierson89
Yeah Could be but doesnt the cruse not work?
On mine:

1. The airbag works.

2. The shared horn/cruise relay is good.

3. The cruise control does NOT work.

4. The horn does NOT work.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, my wife just took my expedition in to have the recall work done.

My horn works with the key off, but not with it running. Get this--their reply is that since the recall work was delayed (due to their not having the parts available!) the damaged horn assembly repair is going to run $2400.

We'll see how this one pans out, I've not looked at things yet--but holy cow, not impressed with them at this point.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by gunbug
...the damaged horn assembly repair is going to run $2400.
I seriously hope that is a misprint. They would be lucky to get me to pay $24 to get my horn working. The only reason I'm even worried about it is that I'd like to get my cruise control working, and the horn just happens to be tied into it.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
gunbug: The horn's failure has nothing to do with the cruise recall or any portion of that circuit. Do not attempt to link their failures together. Further, you must specifically identify your vehicle in order to receive technical assistance.

All:
It is possible for the clockspring to cause only one or two of the subsystems to fail without affecting the others. It all depends on the exact and specific nature of what failed.

It has been observed repeatedly that simultaneous failures in all three of the discussed sub-systems is usually the clockspring, but the lack of failure of all three simultaneously neither confirms or rejects the hypothesis that the clockspring is at fault.

A single failure of only one conductor of the clockspring will take out both the cruise and the horn. It takes the failure of an additional conductor (one of two) to knock out the airbag circuit as there is nothing electrically in common with either the horn or cruise circuits.

Steve

Old 05-31-2008, 02:36 PM
My cruise is intermittent (and rarely works) but my horn works as it should. Does this mean I can rule out the clockspring being bad since the horn still works or is that still a possibility?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
gunbug: The horn's failure has nothing to do with the cruise recall or any portion of that circuit. Do not attempt to link their failures together. Further, you must specifically identify your vehicle in order to receive technical assistance.

All:
It is possible for the clockspring to cause only one or two of the subsystems to fail without affecting the others. It all depends on the exact and specific nature of what failed.

It has been observed repeatedly that simultaneous failures in all three of the discussed sub-systems is usually the clockspring, but the lack of failure of all three simultaneously neither confirms or rejects the hypothesis that the clockspring is at fault.

A single failure of only one conductor of the clockspring will take out both the cruise and the horn. It takes the failure of an additional conductor (one of two) to knock out the airbag circuit as there is nothing electrically in common with either the horn or cruise circuits.

Steve

Old 05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
It is entirely possible for the horn circuit to be intact and operational while the cruise is not.

It all depends on which conductors may have been damaged, if, in fact, the clockspring is the reason for the cruise failure.

I'd suggest trying the speed control diagnostics.

Steve

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I did try the key on diagnostics - got the dash light on the "On" button but didn't get any dash light on the "Set Accel", "Res", or "Coast" buttons.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
It is entirely possible for the horn circuit to be intact and operational while the cruise is not.

It all depends on which conductors may have been damaged, if, in fact, the clockspring is the reason for the cruise failure.

I'd suggest trying the speed control diagnostics.

Steve

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd be inclined to suspect a faulty switch assembly on the steering wheel.

Use the procedure in Pinpoint Test E1 to verify.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-01-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Smile horn and cruise control fault

vehicle is 2002 f150 supercrew 2wd 4.6 L. My horn works with key off, once ignition switch is turned to on horn stops working. Cruise control does not work. Tried the key on diagonstics and did not get any lights. All fuses and relays are good. I am looking at replacing the clockspring. Any thoughts or info on this will be appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn And Cruise Control