seafoam for carbon buildup?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seafoam for carbon buildup?

I am the proud owner of a 2006 f-150 5.4 screw. I also own a bass boat with a 90hp johnson outboard motor. While doing some searches on iboats forum a lot of the members reccomend decarbing these engines with a product called SEAFOAM. It is a fuel addative that can be ran thru the fuel system to keep carbon from forming on piston rings and cylinder's in general. Anyone tried this as possible help with plug issue? Also what or when did ford address this plug issue, hopefully 2006 year model? thanks for all replies.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davis7210
I am the proud owner of a 2006 f-150 5.4 screw. I also own a bass boat with a 90hp johnson outboard motor. While doing some searches on iboats forum a lot of the members reccomend decarbing these engines with a product called SEAFOAM. It is a fuel addative that can be ran thru the fuel system to keep carbon from forming on piston rings and cylinder's in general. Anyone tried this as possible help with plug issue? Also what or when did ford address this plug issue, hopefully 2006 year model? thanks for all replies.
Ford recommends using a penetrating solvent while removing the plug. Turn the plug 1/4 turn apply the solvent let it set in. There is a TSB about it. Seafoam wont touch that crap around the plug. 2004-present truck are affected. The main thing you can do is replace your plugs early and often coat them with anti size and every time you remove them pray to god they come out.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
So i have 23500 miles, how much longer should i wait? Saw post about possible improved plug, park it and drive trusty 91 camry!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you are talking about decarbonizing the Johnson engine, it would be the absolute last thing I would use. Seafoam, per MSDS, is 20% alcohol. Alcohol will absorb water out of the air and I can't imagine that you would want water in your fuel tank. There are several of the decarbonizing marine fuel additives from Mercury, Yamaha, and Honda that will do the job without screwing up the fuel delivery system. If you are talking about your truck, Techron is the Ford approved fuel system cleaner and it is also a decarbonizer. FWIW, Seafoam is roughly 80% pale oil, 20% alcohol and a splash of naptha- nothing else in the formulation. If you can find pharmacy grade alcohol, you could make this yourself.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd skip the seafoam for a 2s outboard. Like Labnerd said, seafoam has a lot of alcohol in it, and 2s motors do not like burning alcohol. They burn hot, and things bust. Most manuals warn against additives such as these, the same reason you can't run E85 in a 2s either. They typically limit alcohol in the fuel to 5% on older 2s, and on newer ones 10%.

For marine use I'd recommend K-100 additive. I've seen that stuff work small miracles in my time working at the marina. The OEM's all have their "brand" of additives as well, but 99% of the time they're a re-packaged name brand. I know Merc has special formulations for their products, but the others just relabel off the shelf products that meet their motor's needs. I seem to remember that Castrol makes almost everything for Bombardier(Johnson), but don't quote me on that.

I used seafoam through the brake booster line on my 351 and it definetly helped with a rough idle, but others have used it and gotten no benefit whatsoever.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
The way to decarb a 2s outboard was described to me this way. Add 3/4 can of seafoam to 3/4 gallon premix gas in small tank. Run this mixture thru engine until operating temps reached.Shutdown,remove plugs one at a time and spray seafoam into cylinders,reinstall plugs let sit 15min. Restart and run remaining fuel while spraying seafom into carb throats. Lots of smoke supposedly carbon being burnt off. All done with water muffs on. Alot of people highly reccomend this as a way to clean and keep compression up. So what do you think? Is carbon buildup that much of an issue? It must have some validity because of carbon buildup on plugs, we that own 5.4 3v engines have a serious problem. I am really just looking to keep all my hard earned TOYS around for a long time!!!!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Try GM Top End Cleaner. Similiar to Seafoam. Recommended as part of 100k service on Caddy's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: seafoam for carbon buildup?