Extremely loud fan noise?

Old 07-21-1999, 06:09 AM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extremely loud fan noise?

Here's the scoop, with in the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that after start up, or even after the truck has been running for a while, that the fan seems to be extremely loud. The sound that the fan makes is like something you would find on a MACK truck. Is this normal, or should I take it in to be looked at. I have the 4.2L w/5spd manual tran. Any feed back will help.

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp.
Future Mods: K&N Airfilter, Superchip, Gibson cat back exhaust, driving lights, & a custom paint job

Old 07-21-1999, 07:39 AM
Take it in! Not normal.

------------------
'99 WHITE F150 XLT FlareSide SC 4.2 Auto 3.55, Superchip,
Black Westin Nerfs, White Prime Design BugShield,
White Vtech Taillight Covers, White Vtech Sidewinders,
'99 White Styleside Body Side Molding,
LOTTA SHOW and SOME GO

Old 07-21-1999, 11:53 AM
I disagree w/rmarietta, our trucks have centrifugal fan clutches and are thermally controlled. The noise you are hearing is the fan with the fan clutch locked up. It is normal depending on the weather and will do it more often when it is hot or when the engine is under a load such as towing. The A/C has will make it louder too.

Don't worry about it, mine does it all the time in Fl.

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto 3.55 LS Oxford White,Orlando appearance package, trailer tow package, keyless entry, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, limo tint, 5 spoke aluminum wheels, Kenwood 6 Disc, black Back Country nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate! I Luv it!

Old 07-21-1999, 02:03 PM
Thumbs up

I disagree, this is normal. I had a 91 Explorer that did the same thing. It doesnt happen all the time, just during different temperatures. Also, if youre stopped with the AC running for an extended period you will get this noise.

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 07-21-1999, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's normal. You can't even hear the engine run when I start mine on a hot day. Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. If it's cold it will stop spinning after about 15 seconds. You're right, it does sound like a Big Rig.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, K&N Air Filter, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 07-21-1999, 05:29 PM
For the last time it IS normal, as a matter of fact it is normal for most trucks on the road. For those of you that think that it isn't normal, open your hood when you restart the engine after a long drive in the middle of the day and start the engine then get out and feel the rush of air from the fan you are hearing under the hood. Or just keep the stereo turned down when you start your truck, who wants to hear the Backstreet Boys that loud anyway?

BTW, I am in Sarasota Fl.

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto 3.55 LS Oxford White,Orlando appearance package, trailer tow package, keyless entry, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, limo tint, 5 spoke aluminum wheels, Kenwood 6 Disc, black Back Country nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate! I Luv it!

Old 07-21-1999, 07:46 PM
Lightbulb

Normal or not, I didn't like it. It's not just the noise that I didn't like, but the idea of sucking freezing cold air through the radiator while the engine is trying to warm-up seemed kinda ridiculous. I "fixed" mine by removing the engine-driven fan and relaced it with an electric. It was strangely quiet at first, but I got used to it very quick! And having gone through some 100 F days stuck in traffic, it kept the engine temp right where it always has been.

------------------
Danny
'98 F-150 Std., RC, SB, 4x2, 4.2L, 5-sp, 3.08, AC, speed control, rear slider
with Syntec engine oil, MTL trans fluid, Edelbrock shocks, 50 Series Flowmaster, K&N with airbox mod, electric radiator fan

Old 07-22-1999, 12:04 AM
Lightbulb

I live in Florida too, (south florida) and I think you both should take you rides in for some R & R. Ain't normal....

------------------
1999 XLT F150 SC 4 X4 4.6 V8 Automatic, Electronic 4wheel drive 3.55 LS Tow pack
Style-side, Amazon Green, Skid plates, Engine heater, Westin nerff bars, ARE lid.
Other pending: Prime Design Bugshield, Super Chip, Air Aid

Old 07-22-1999, 09:57 PM
Exclamation

I gotta agree with seacrow on this one. The noise is what your fan would make if it was directly coupled to the pulley (like it is when it has been sitting a while because the clutch is locked up due to RUST.) Yep, rust, just like your disc brakes get after sitting around with no driving for a few days. Once you rev it up a little the rust is removed by the clutch plates and it is free to spin. Hence, no more loud noise. Mine only does it in the morning after sitting all night.

Old 07-23-1999, 07:59 AM
"Here's the scoop, with in the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that after start up, or even after the
truck has been running for a while, that the fan seems to be extremely loud."

Must be a new strain of rust , to develop after the truck has been running for a while. Got me wondering , after the shootdown, so I started my truck (cold) and listened for that MAC truck sound. Damn I didn't get that option! Do you think FORD will fix it if I take it in?

------------------
'99 WHITE F150 XLT FlareSide SC 4.2 Auto 3.55, Superchip,
Black Westin Nerfs, White Prime Design BugShield,
White Vtech Taillight Covers, White Vtech Sidewinders,
'99 White Styleside Body Side Molding,
LOTTA SHOW and SOME GO

Old 07-23-1999, 08:40 AM
Lightbulb

After thinking about it, I did have the MAC truck problem on my '87 ranger. As the speed increased so did the noise. It sounded like it wasn't shifting and the engine was going to blow. It was the clutch on the fan had froze. The mechanic told me it could have thrown a blade at those rmps. I don't know if that is the problem or not. Like I indicated in the previous post I don't have to blare my radio to cover fan noise on my F150. Any insight?

Old 07-23-1999, 09:28 AM
Get an underdrive pulley from ASP and it will slow down the fan 25% eliminating the noise. Also you will get 10 extra hp. Their number is 281 261 5811 or 281 261 8845. I don't have one yet on my truck but I have only had it two weeks. I have owned them before and no problems. I have the racing underdrive (50% reduction)on my Mustang.

------------------
97 4.6 F150, 1/4 = 17.48 @ 82.2 mph, 88 5.0 Mustang 1/8 = 7.409 @ 93.72 mph

Old 07-23-1999, 10:33 AM
Ok, this is exactly what I know about the fan clutch. It is engaged with a centrifugal clutch (the kind used on a chain saw or a go cart, it's engagement is directly related to engine speed, but it is controlled by a thermostatic control (thermal) which is directly related to engine temp. When you start the truck the clutch is engaged and the fan will spin which is normal until the engine is warmed up. The design of the fan is the cause of the noise. It is very high output. As the engine warms up the clutch will engage and disengage as needed. If you are driving down the interstate it will not be engaged because of the air movement from driving but as you slow down and the temp from the radiator is detected the clutch will engage. If you are pulling a load in the city you will hear the fan a lot more. You will also hear it more when shut the engine off and and restart it again before it cools down completely. The fan is also a vital component in the A/C system. You must have air movement across the condensor (the narrow radiator in front of the real radiator) or the A/C will not cool. The condensor creates it own heat as well which is a big factor in the engagement of the clutch. If you are pulling a load in the city with the A/C on high the fan noise will be even more pronounced.

In the end, the fan clutch design is almost failsafe and the components will usually outlast the rest of the cooling system. The Ford design is almost overkill and the noise is annoying, I agree. I do think it is better than an electric fan motor which is not as reliable but does not rob engine power. We have trucks and some of us use them as such so the centrifugal fan clutch is the best way to operate the fan since it is relative to engine speed and temp. You will appreciate it under harsh conditions. Remember, the weather has a lot to do with it too. I have noticed that it mine does not engage as long at start-up when I am in Georgia at Christmas time.

I hope this helps eveyone understand the fan noise. That is why I bought a 30 watt Kenwood so I can blast my Counting Crows CD's in lieu of "Cooling Fan in stereo".

------------------

Old 07-23-1999, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be that it just started or it could be that you just noticed (new truck excitement can cover a lot of things). It doesn't matter. Go ahead and get it checked out- it's free if you've still got warranty.

gaudenti:
You do realize the thermostat keeps that cold water from flowing into the engine- don't you.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player: http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 07-23-1999, 03:28 PM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Well,
I guess that living in Arizona, were it is so hot during the summers that I didn't notice it when I bought my truck back in Dec. when it was so much cooler. Any ways, I took it in and had the dealer look at it and they told me that everything was fine and not to worry about it.

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp.
Future Mods: K&N Airfilter, Superchip, Gibson cat back exhaust, driving lights, & a custom paint job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extremely loud fan noise?