how do you remove the plastic outer trim on back window

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you remove the plastic outer trim on back window

rear window is leaking, I need to get to the seals but theres a plastic trim piece, how does that come off. anyone else fix a leaky back window?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
rear window is leaking, I need to get to the seals but theres a plastic trim piece, how does that come off. anyone else fix a leaky back window?
Im having the same problem...Im guessing it just pops off but i dunno.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
i took mine to a body shop
they just put polyurethane around it
the glass guy there said he has fixed many of the trucks before. it has rained alot since and no leak!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I was just quoted $100 for a guy from a auto glass shop to come out, remove, reseal and re-install my back window. Or $300 for a new one. He also said the plasitc cracked trim on the INSIDE has nothing to do with the window leaking. He said its a glue in/ bolt in window and the plastic trim on the inside is just beauty trim or something like that. I duno, but i dont want to just throw some silicone on it and call it good so im going to have it done right i guess. Does anyone know for sure if that trim is actually part of the seal? he didnt sound completely confident. If you ask me, by looking at it, that plastic moulding is a part of the window and if cracked could leak.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I can speak from personal experience. The black trim piece is held in by a few screws under the head liner. Removing said trim piece is one of the more frustrating things a man could ever do in his life. It requires removing several pieces of interior trim all the way to the front visors, which in turn let you remove the head liner. Then, once you've gotten to the screws, removing them will try your make you rethink not just calling the local trading post to place an ad. Once they're removed, you can pop out the back glass. There you will find a gooey mess of old strip caulking and dirt.

As for the trim piece itself, there is some weatherstripping on it but the majority of sealing is done by the strip caulking around the back glass.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Toyz
I was just quoted $100 for a guy from a auto glass shop to come out, remove, reseal and re-install my back window. Or $300 for a new one. He also said the plasitc cracked trim on the INSIDE has nothing to do with the window leaking. He said its a glue in/ bolt in window and the plastic trim on the inside is just beauty trim or something like that. I duno, but i dont want to just throw some silicone on it and call it good so im going to have it done right i guess. Does anyone know for sure if that trim is actually part of the seal? he didnt sound completely confident. If you ask me, by looking at it, that plastic moulding is a part of the window and if cracked could leak.
yea i paid 130 to have mine done. rained like crazy yesterday and finally a dry back seat.

Quick Reply: how do you remove the plastic outer trim on back window