How to "supe-up" an engine when on a tight budget??

Old 01-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to "supe-up" an engine when on a tight budget??

Howdy everyone,

I have a 1990 F150 Lariat with the 5.0L 302, i'm not sure what transmission is in it.

Now keep in mind I don't know alot about mechanical work on trucks, so if I say something that needs to be corrected, DON'T HESITATE TO CALL ME OUT ON IT! I'm on here to learn new things, anyways, so any input is appreciated.

Okay, so I want to get more power out of my truck. My first inclination was to do an engine swap and drop in a 460 (I've heard great things about this engine) but apparently you have to get new coil springs, it doesn't work with the EFI, and all kinds of other transfer problems, not to mention I'm sure it's not compatible with my current tranny. And I just don't have the money for that right now. I CAN afford a remanufactured motor, and Jasper has been recommended to me...but if y'all know of any better places, let me know.

So I'm on a pretty tight budget. I've got money to spend, but not TONS of it. I'd appreciate ANY suggestions of mods that I can do to the engine or tranny. However, it's gotta be stuff a garage can do for me, because I certainly don't have the necessary tools or know-how to pull off most of the stuff y'all talk about on here.

I've already got Flowmasters on it, which gives me a little more horsepower and better gas mileage, but I really just wanted some raw power out of my engine, which I haven't seen out of my little 302.

Any tips would be awesome!

Thanks!
-Collin Mayfield

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by deerhunter5639
Howdy everyone,

I have a 1990 F150 Lariat with the 5.0L 302, i'm not sure what transmission is in it.

Now keep in mind I don't know alot about mechanical work on trucks, so if I say something that needs to be corrected, DON'T HESITATE TO CALL ME OUT ON IT! I'm on here to learn new things, anyways, so any input is appreciated.

Okay, so I want to get more power out of my truck. My first inclination was to do an engine swap and drop in a 460 (I've heard great things about this engine) but apparently you have to get new coil springs, it doesn't work with the EFI, and all kinds of other transfer problems, not to mention I'm sure it's not compatible with my current tranny. And I just don't have the money for that right now. I CAN afford a remanufactured motor, and Jasper has been recommended to me...but if y'all know of any better places, let me know.

So I'm on a pretty tight budget. I've got money to spend, but not TONS of it. I'd appreciate ANY suggestions of mods that I can do to the engine or tranny. However, it's gotta be stuff a garage can do for me, because I certainly don't have the necessary tools or know-how to pull off most of the stuff y'all talk about on here.

I've already got Flowmasters on it, which gives me a little more horsepower and better gas mileage, but I really just wanted some raw power out of my engine, which I haven't seen out of my little 302.

Any tips would be awesome!

Thanks!
-Collin Mayfield
do you have a manual or automatic transmission? with or without overdrive?

they had 460's with EFI (you'd need a 460 EFI setup and swap your current 302 EFI to the 460's and it would work just fine)

to help your desire for more power with a 460 swap with the EFI tossed out and run this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-B...QQcmdZViewItem

if that's out of your budget just run this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weian...QQcmdZViewItem

and have a machine shop rebuild your 302 and stroke it to a 331 or 347 and you'd have lots of fun and lots of power long tube headers would help some too

can't help you with your tranny until we know more about it

Old 01-03-2008, 10:56 AM
i have a buddy who has 2 460's but both are carb. One is a long block. one is is in peices. just saw ur post and remberd he had them.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarajerame
and have a machine shop rebuild your 302 and stroke it to a 331 or 347 and you'd have lots of fun and lots of power long tube headers would help some too
I think you would be happy with this. The 347 stroker would give you a good bit of power.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Here is a link to the kit. It is $2,000 and then you would have to pay the shop just the labor. They dont have any info on it on the website so i would call and double check it would work with your motor or if you would need anything else.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I believe the 90 F150 is speed density and not mass air. Speed density can not run cams and head work or a 347/331 stroker without some real tuning. Exhaust and filter are about at the limits of a stock speed density system. I dont know if tuning could really overcome that much of a change.

A 460 is a cool idea, but a stock 460 is a pig compared to what it could be with just a little work. The accessories, tranny, and work on the H/C/I for the 460 are not going to be dollar friendly. Gonna have to have a parts vehicle to make that happen. 400+ crank hp is easy with a street tame 460.

A warmed over 302 with the proper tune/mass air conversion is probably going to be your best bang for the buck. Chose head flow and a camshaft that takes the reality of the truck weight and gearing into account and it will run a whole lot better. I dont see why 250-285 hp is not possible with a stock bottem end and H/C/I mods as well as long tubes the right FI and a good exhaust w/ long tubes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to "supe-up" an engine when on a tight budget??