2000 F150 - Fuel Pump Problem: Help Me! Lol

Old 01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 - Fuel Pump Problem: Help Me! Lol

I have a 2000 F-150, 5.4, 2wd. It sits dead in my driveway because I am unable to start the darn thing. It all started a few weeks ago...it was strange because the truck started to give me troubles when starting it. I could eventually get it started after turning off the key a few times, then starting it up. Someone told me that a fresh battery is required for the fuel injectors to operate correctly. Therefore, I broke down and bought a nice battery charger and made sure my battery was at full strength before starting it.

I put the key in, turned the key to on, heard the fuel rail make a thump, then tried to start the truck.

It just kept turning and turning with no start.

I need to know something...the only sound that I hear before cranking up my truck is the fuel rail making the thump. Am I supposed to hear the fuel pump in the tank prime? If so, I am not hearing it.

If the fuel pump is bad, will the fuel rail still make this thumping noise?

I am dreading to call a wrecker and take it to Ford.

Like I said before, I have...

1) Changed the fuel filter
2) Changed the cam sensor
3) Changed a few vacuum lines that looked really bad
4) Changed out the fuel pump relay
5) Checked all the fuses
6) Made sure the shut off button was not activated

What am I doing wrong? Is there a timing issue involved?

Help! (Please)

Thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by measato; 01-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first step would be to get a fuel pressure gage to see if and how much pressure you have.

Last edited by torkum; 01-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
if you do have to replace the pump, just pull the bed instead of dropping the tank.....

but i agree visually check all fuel lines for kinks, and then check fuel pressure with a guage

Old 01-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Respectfully, what your doing wrong is guessing.
Either no fuel or no spark.
Find out which one and procees down that path.
Guessing can often times introduce a second problem and cause great confusion.
Have you looked for any pending codes that could give a clue?
Could be as simple as the crank position sensor plug came off.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Crank Position Sensor

I have rented a code reader and did not get any codes returned. The computer checked ok.

As for the pressure check, I have been reluctant to do it because it will cost me almost $40.00 to get a test kit, which I will only use once...that's almost a gas tank fillup!

As for the crank position sensor...I will check that out...where is it located on my F-150? (2000). You guys are awesome. I appreciate all your help.

Once again, I asked earlier, am I supposed to be able to hear the fuel pump prime? If so, I am not.

The sound that comes from the fuel rail...the 'thump' when I turn on the key, is that normal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to get under my truck to hear the fuel pump run and it doesn't run long so get some one else to turn the key on

Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm not trying to give you a hard time but to get you to realize a different outlook on owning a truck and what it takes to upkeep one.
You spent more than $40 guessing on at least 3 parts and now you won't invest in a tool to try finding the real problem! Check to see if there is a fuel rail port before you by a gauge set.
After awhile the total exceeds the cost of having a shop find the fault.
Often you can hear the pump run a second to shut-off when the key is turned to thr RUN position. That's normal. Often times some can't hear it in a full tank or some have poor hearing.
The crank sensor is at about the 7 o'clock position behind the front crank damper.
If things are that tight, you should consider a small car in lue of a truck that is getting older and will need more maintaince as time goes by.
Good luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bootleg837
I have to get under my truck to hear the fuel pump run and it doesn't run long so get some one else to turn the key on
true

Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Respectfully Agree

I totally agree with you. This is the 1st major repair that I have had to do on my truck since I bought it in 2000. I am reluctant on buying the pressure test kit because the school that I teach at has a state of the art testing facility and they can diagnosis it for me.

I am off for the winter, therefore I had time to kill, and wanted to see if I could dilly dally around and fix it myself. I am realizing that sometimes it doesn't pay to do the work yourself...but...when I read other horror stories of $1,200 to fix a fuel pump issue at the Ford Dealer, this has caused me to do something about it instead of waiting around for my school to get to it.

Thanks for your wisdom though, I already thought about it though.

If I did buy a fuel pressure kit, what reading should I get when I turn the key to the on position without starting it? I am asking this cause I cant get my truck started anyway.

Will the pressure go up when I attempt to start the truck?
If I remove the little black cap and depress the nipple, should the gas shoot out quickly?

I have removed the black cap and pushed down on the nipple, only to see it just dribble out a little bit.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Go out and try to start it then after a few cranks put your foot on the gas to the floor.

JMC

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Put the gauge on tight, cycle the ignition to run a few times and check the pressure.
It should be up full and hold at least 10 minutes at close to 40 psi +/- a pound or two.
Check for spark so you know what you have.
An easy way is using a timing light with a clamp-on end.
Clamp around a coil cable. While someone cranks the motor the light should flash.
Or put a plug in the boot and ground the shell to make a visual check.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Did you figure out the thumping?

Originally Posted by measato
I have rented a code reader and did not get any codes returned. The computer checked ok.

As for the pressure check, I have been reluctant to do it because it will cost me almost $40.00 to get a test kit, which I will only use once...that's almost a gas tank fillup!

As for the crank position sensor...I will check that out...where is it located on my F-150? (2000). You guys are awesome. I appreciate all your help.

Once again, I asked earlier, am I supposed to be able to hear the fuel pump prime? If so, I am not.

The sound that comes from the fuel rail...the 'thump' when I turn on the key, is that normal?

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you figure out the thumping?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Well you have a decision to make.
Either count on getting lucky or do some testing to find the issue.
Should be able to hear the pump run about 1 second at key on, then shut off.
This is normal. You still would not know anythng about fuel pressure.
At this point don't worry about using a tank of gas if the motor won't start.
Good luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dead thread drag up. The OP hasn't posted in 4 years.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Blue grass is correct.Either its no spark or no fuel.Check the spark first,if you have that then check fuel. You have been throwing parts at it and going no where. Please let us know what you find.............Sam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 - Fuel Pump Problem: Help Me! Lol