F-150 Easy Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 Easy Break-In

This story was on the Memphis news yesterday, and they showed how it is done. You just use a screwdriver to pop off the plastic trim from around the driver's exterior door handle. Slide the latch, and voila! You're in the locked truck!

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5992577

Crazy huh? Anyone know anything else about this? Surely Ford will do a recall.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm well if anyone didnt know about this, they do now, but I never knew it!

Old 01-28-2007, 07:51 PM
As noted in the story, all the breaks-ins were perpetrated by Crips gang members. I think a total of 70 '04 and up F-150's were hit in the span of two weeks. No other types of vehicles were involved. If the gangs in Memphis know it, I figure car crooks everywhere know it.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
04 and up f150's are the most stolen vehicles here (DFW metroplex), and that's not breaking news, no pun intended.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM
most of the times f150s are broken in to but not drove away thanks to the whole chiped key thing(cant remember what it is called) but the super dutys are easyer to get into and all you need is a flat head screwdriver to start it and drive away a $50k truck...dont forget to let the glow plugs warm up!!! i cant tell you how many theft recovery superdutys we see at work but not near as many 1/2 ton trucks

Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Suspended
wow, thanks for spreading the word with the media. Good idea

And posting about here only makes it worse

Old 01-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
wow, thanks for spreading the word with the media. Good idea

And posting about here only makes it worse
So, it's already on TV, and you think spreading the news on an enthusiast's forum is going to increase your risk? You must assume that crack-head thugs search these forums for tips on how they can rip you off.

No, it's obviously already underground knowledge among criminals. Posting here makes law-abiding enthusiasts aware of the risk so they can take appropriate defensive action.

I work in IT Security, and we have a similar concept called responsible disclosure. Whenever a "white hat" hacker discovers a vulnerability in computer software, he should report it to the software maker first. This gives the maker time to develop a fix. Once the vulnerability is disclosed to the public (perhaps by a "black hat" and regardless of whether a fix has been developed), the responsible thing to do is spread the news so that people can protect themselves by whatever means. Not reporting serious vulnerabilities leaves innocent and unaware people helpless.

So what will you do? Seek a fix, or leave your truck to the thieves?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM
First of all I don't know why anybody would purchase a new vehicle without getting an alarm/starter disabler system installed the same day.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by TFord
So, it's already on TV, and you think spreading the news on an enthusiast's forum is going to increase your risk? You must assume that crack-head thugs search these forums for tips on how they can rip you off.

No, it's obviously already underground knowledge among criminals. Posting here makes law-abiding enthusiasts aware of the risk so they can take appropriate defensive action.

I work in IT Security, and we have a similar concept called responsible disclosure. Whenever a "white hat" hacker discovers a vulnerability in computer software, he should report it to the software maker first. This gives the maker time to develop a fix. Once the vulnerability is disclosed to the public (perhaps by a "black hat" and regardless of whether a fix has been developed), the responsible thing to do is spread the news so that people can protect themselves by whatever means. Not reporting serious vulnerabilities leaves innocent and unaware people helpless.

So what will you do? Seek a fix, or leave your truck to the thieves?
Ever heard of Google? The rest of the world has.

Are you dense/naive enough to think that posting anything like this WON'T spread the knowledge and it will in turn lead to more stolen trucks?

The more people talk about this, post about this, or do anything to spread the word (For example, you may have seen it on the news, but I didn't. And I am pretty sure a lot of other people didn't either.) the more trucks will be stolen. Period.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very informative posting, gentlemen.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Alarms and security systems will only keep out an honest thief. Anyone with determination will get the vehicle open, disable the security system, and take what they want.
I have a '97 F250 with the sliding rear window. With a laminated card I can open the back window in 20 seconds or less. I know because I have a habit of locking the keys in.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 AM
For anyone that's worried about their truck getting broken into with the screwdriver method, then check out the Jimmi Jammer door lock protection plate. You can find this product discounted on other web sites, but here's the link to the manufacturer.

http://www.jimmijammer.com/index.html

Here's the install instructions for 2004 & up F150's.
http://www.jimmijammer.com/Ford%20F1...20tutorial.htm

If somebody wants in your truck, they're going to get in, but every little bit helps. As you can see from the pics, this product can easily be made by somebody with limited tooling and a little motivation.

Last edited by qadsan; 02-05-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
"If somebody wants in your truck, they're going to get in,"<<>>qadsan
and thats the bottom line., just that some are easier than others, for example i got in a brand new ranger today with a good ole slim jim...(wash guy locked the keys in it when cleaning the windows)took me all of about 1 min. (and i am no expert)total but as for the bigger ford products just be glad you dont have a super duty...(i wont post why because of google)

Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, the Jimmi Jammer's pretty cool, but indeed it's true: If someone wants in, they're going to get in. I can just see me installing the Jimmi Jammer and window warning sticker, just to have some thug smash the glass out or bend the door metal all to heck trying to get around it.

Of some small relief is the fact that this isn't just a Ford problem. That Jimmi Jammer sight has a "gallery of horrors" showing this done to just about every truck made. I guess this wasn't "news" after all - it seems to be long established and widespread crook knowledge.

Oh well, here's wishing everyone's truck the best!

Old 02-15-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm with TFord on this one, spreading the knowledge of this risk to a group of enthusiasts is for the better, I didn't know about this problem, and I glad that I do know now. Parking in college lots is scary, I'm always a little worried my truck, or at least part of it will be missing when I go back out to the parking lot. I'm seriously now considering putting in a JimmyJammer to go with my Viper 5000 w/remote start and good ole fashioned club. I fully comitted myself to this statement a long time ago, "If a thief wants in, they'll get in." I've chosen to embrace that phrase and put as much crap on as reasonable, that way maybe they wont want to bother trying to break in, plus my stereo upgrades are all hidden under seats, tint, and the stock head unit; I also try not to leave stuff in the truck visible from the outside.

Quick Reply: F-150 Easy Break-In