Using a Multimeter to Test Christmas Lights

Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure what in the hell the deal is with this POS. You guys are right -- one bulb that is burned out *DOES NOT / SHOULD NOT* affect the entire strand. I'm pretty certain that this is the case with this tree as one of the strands that is working perfectly has at least two bulbs out.

There is continuity between ends. That checks out fine.

I'm thinking one of the individual bulbs is fouled, somehow, within the individual socket. That or the socket itself is fouled.

I shall battle on... I hate this thing.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the light sting that don't go out all at once will always show continuity use the battery or tester

Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'm not sure what in the hell the deal is with this POS. You guys are right -- one bulb that is burned out *DOES NOT / SHOULD NOT* affect the entire strand. I'm pretty certain that this is the case with this tree as one of the strands that is working perfectly has at least two bulbs out.

There is continuity between ends. That checks out fine.

I'm thinking one of the individual bulbs is fouled, somehow, within the individual socket. That or the socket itself is fouled.

I shall battle on... I hate this thing.
Look for a missing bulb ... I have had a strand one time outdoors that when one bulb was missing half the strand would go out. But one bulb burnt out did not cause a problem.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Moderator &

I can actually plug this line in... and, using the other end, plug another strand on and it works.

I've literally pulled EVERY bulb and have re-installed every bulb (in different sockets - pulled all of them, filled all sockets again with that bulb mix). Same outcome.

We can't locate anything that came with the tree -- although, we're nearly positive that it's here somewhere. That said, rather than trying to find a replacement branch set, it's going in the freaking dumpster. I'm sick of this shiz.

Thanks for the attempted help, folks.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootleg837
Those work great. You need to open the handle and pull the INSTRUCTION SHEET out to learn how to use it properly. If you do that, you will have the string working pretty quickly.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
I can actually plug this line in... and, using the other end, plug another strand on and it works.

I've literally pulled EVERY bulb and have re-installed every bulb (in different sockets - pulled all of them, filled all sockets again with that bulb mix). Same outcome.

We can't locate anything that came with the tree -- although, we're nearly positive that it's here somewhere. That said, rather than trying to find a replacement branch set, it's going in the freaking dumpster. I'm sick of this shiz.

Thanks for the attempted help, folks.
Are you going to get another pre-lit?

Now that fiber optic sounds nice for a fake, pre-lit. Sure be easy, plus less heat on the branches so less chance of fire too.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM

take a working sting and keep pulling lights from the old set one at a time plug it in to the working set till you find bad lamp

Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 PM
My fiber optic tree is similar to these. I did the real tree thing enough years that I had my fill of it. Only trees I cut now go in the woodstove.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
The string probably just has a bad shunt, and that gizmo will fix it. I brought a dead string back to life with one just the other day.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Moderator &

ehh... to the dumpster. I'm done with it. Doubt we get another pre-lit.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bootleg837
I have one of those and they are awesome!! Saved many a string of lights from the dumpster with that little gadget. First thing I do every season is plug my lights in and go over them with the Lightkeeper Pro. Definitely a wise investment!!

Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you check the fuses in the plug? Most of the lights made in the last 10 or so years have these. Look for a tab that slides out on the plug, pull the fuses out. Most are the glass kind in which you can see the element. If both elements look good, set the multi-meter to ohms and check for resistance. If the fuse is good the resistance should be near zero (1-2 Milli ohms) If the resistance is high then the fuse is blown, replace the fuse and decorate your tree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using a Multimeter to Test Christmas Lights