P1288

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1288

Alright, I am aware that a P1288 means engine temp. sensor. My service engine light has not come on, but this is the code I am getting when the computer is hooked up. What does this mean?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:45 PM
First, do the lamps self-test when you start the vehicle? Nothing like a failed bulb to send one off on the wrong path.

If the lamp is working, then suggest that this is a fault occuring in the past which is no longer present.

If it's the sensor I'm thinking of, it needs to be functional as it's part of the cold-engine and warm-up operating strategies. Has your gas mileage dropped, or notice any unusual operating issues - indicating the engine may be remaining in cold-start mode?

Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a Pending code that will become a hard code [CEL] if not corrected. What year and engine do you have?

Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM
it is an 01 4.6. It is misfiring, and I don't think I am getting any fire from my #3 cylinder. Already changed the plug and COP

Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your engine is in 'Fail Safe Mode' because of the cylinder head temperature sensor. This is a saftey feature on the F150 when the sensor detects engine overheating it starts shutting injectors down to help cool the engine down. Is your engine overheating? If not you have a sensor failure or the wiring to the sensor.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, Check that sensor out - I believe "'Limp Mode" is after 315 degrees.

Your sensor is located on the drivers side head. It's on the outside of the casting towards the front inside wall..I'm not sure but you may have to remove your alternator to get at it..It's hard to see, take a flashlight , look behind the alternator at the head - it's right there in the corner . You should be able to see the wires for sure. You may have to follow them with your hand to get to the connector.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
The engine has not been overheating, but runs like it did before I changed out the COP's and plugs. It started doing that after the engine warms up, which makes some sense. I am the guy that threw his #3 plug, and I thought it was related to that, but I may have yanked a wire when the cop popped out. I am in the process of cleaning the throttle body right now, so I will check that when I finish. Thanks again, guys.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by adamcardona17
The engine has not been overheating, but runs like it did before I changed out the COP's and plugs. It started doing that after the engine warms up, which makes some sense. I am the guy that threw his #3 plug, and I thought it was related to that, but I may have yanked a wire when the cop popped out. I am in the process of cleaning the throttle body right now, so I will check that when I finish. Thanks again, guys.

It doesn't have to be overheating for that sensor to go south..lol - That's what codes are for - to point you in the right direction ...Don't just ignore it .. The whole system relies on that sensor , heavily.. Make sure everything is cool with that first.. A couple model years before yours . These motors had TWO sensors reporting back to the PCM . Your model relies just on the CHT for that info.. If it's not right

Yea , just check it - I mean , you did get the code and it sounds like it could be a limp mode cineriel to me..

Good Luck

Quick Reply: P1288