2004 - 2008 F-150

Tick while under load

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tick while under load

So my engine started making a ticking noise while under load. Seems like it is coming from the passenger side. Not sure if this noise is related to the Cam Phasers or something else. Im kind of worried it might be an exhaust leak or manifold leak of some sort.

The noise seems to go away at idle or while sitting at a light. But as soon as I accelerate it starts to tick. It does it at all speeds, and when I let off the gas it goes away.
I also tow a 7k trailer occasionally. When towing the heavy load it becomes very noticable. I can hear it when I pass cars or retaining walls/buildings.

From what I've read it seems that Cam Phasers are more noticable at idle, while this seems to get worse under load.

Specs: 5.4, Edge Evo Stage 2, 40k miles.

Any Ideas?

Brian

Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM
I have mine in the shop for Cam Phasers and it was making the ticking noise you are discribing from the passenger side. Basically they told me the Cam Phaser noise was normal but the ticking was not. They couldn't figure it out so I called Ford and complained and they told my dealer no matter what it takes they needed to fix my truck. So they still can't figure it out and are now just ordering part and replacing stuff hoping to figure it out. So yesterday they call and tell me they are replacing the rocekt arms and adjusters. So we will see if that does the trick. I will keep you posted.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I look forward to seeing what you figure out. Rockers already. I hope not.

I think I will bring it up when I bring the truck in for its next service.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
my truck has just started doing this also. Is there anyway they could try to blame it on the intake or should I put the stock one back on before taking it in. I'm at 35,500 miles?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Well. I might be tempted to put factory intake back on. Just to make sure they cant find a way to blame it on that.

My engine bay is completely stock, minus my Optima. And the more I hear it the more I fear it might be an exhaust leak. I think I might go ahead and take it in before the next service.

Ive already talked to my dealer awhile back about the Cam Phasers. They said the same thing every other dealer says. Its normal for the F150 to make a little noise. But if it gets worse I should bring it in. And to be honest, they are not really that loud. Just barely noticeable while standing outside.

Brian

Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Well here is a quick update. The Dealer calle dme this morning asking to see all my service records since purchase to determine if this was the fault of me not servicing the truck or just SH*T parts. I have my vehicle serivced every 3,000 miles so I am not worried but they are pouring over them to try and get out of fixing my truck. What the guy did before me was not take care of it as they found "TONS" of sludge in the valve covers. Can they hold that against me if he didn't take care of it when he had it?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadmaster
Well here is a quick update. The Dealer calle dme this morning asking to see all my service records since purchase to determine if this was the fault of me not servicing the truck or just SH*T parts. I have my vehicle serivced every 3,000 miles so I am not worried but they are pouring over them to try and get out of fixing my truck. What the guy did before me was not take care of it as they found "TONS" of sludge in the valve covers. Can they hold that against me if he didn't take care of it when he had it?

With 40,000 miles, it sounds like you're well outside of the factory warranty. Do you have an extended warranty?? Either way, I can't image that anybody would cover it under warranty if it's due to neglect (either by you or the previous owner, doesn't matter).

Have you listened for the tick with the hood open? What part of the engine does it appear to be coming from? Is it the injectors ticking that you hear?

One of the video's on flatratetech.com demonstrate the difference between the different noises that the 5.4 has. I can't remember if it's episode 19 or 22...

Old 11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the update.

I know its coming from the passenger side. Seems to be towards the rear of the engine. Thats about the best I can pinpoint it.

Its a loud tick. But only when the truck is under load. I cant hear it when it just idles. When just cruising, not accelerating, I can hear the engine making a tick. When there is a car next to me on the freeway, and I step on the gas I can hear it echo off the car.

It has not always had this sound. It just started a little while ago. And all other F150's I see with the 5.4 do not make this noise.

Brian

Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Sure sounds like an exhaust leak. Surely they would rule that out first.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM
just a tick...ive seen all kinds of bugs under loads
sorry i had to

Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K1NGoftheRanch
just a tick...ive seen all kinds of bugs under loads
sorry i had to

Yeah, depending on how long you let it sit there, it could be MUCH worse.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Ok, I watched video 22 about the 5.4's VCT setup. It did a pretty good job explaining the noises.

My noise sounds exactly like that of the Lash Adjuster in the video. It even says the symptoms as mine, noise out the wheelwell, more pronounced while next to walls and other vehicles or in garages. According to the video this is a normal noise for the 5.4 3v.

I wonder why mine only makes the noise while under load?

Thanks for posting the website with the videos. It provided a little insight on what my problem may "or may not" be.

Brian.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Funny this came up.

Mine started making the same noise 3 weeks ago towing thru PA on my way back to Ohio. Same thing, right side of motor, louder when passing or by walls, ect.

My truck had 29,500 when this started, and I was literally days out of warentee. Took it to the dealer, they checked it out and gave me some BS about my oil filter being to small, causing the oil to slow down around the lifters causing a ticking, there is even a TSB they printed out about it. I don't believe that crap for a second though. So now I am 3 weeks out of my 3/36, but I am bringing it back there this week anyways and it there is something wrong, they WILL fix it because it seems like this is a common problem.

Hell Ill fight them if I have to, get lemon law on it or something.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The ticking you are hearing is most likely valve noise.

You can either:
  1. Get the valves serviced
  2. Get the injectors cleaned and upgrade to higher octane fuel.

Is the truck losing performance or fuel economy? If not, I would personally do all the normal maintenance and drive the motor until you notice serious noises, or until the point when it's time to service the heads.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Has anyone figured this out yet?

Quick Reply: Tick while under load