Wal-mart Liberator A/T Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-mart Liberator A/T Tires ?

Anybody have any experiences or comments with these Wal-mart tires ? Liberator A/T they sell for $96 for a 285/75/16.

Old 09-21-2001, 05:47 PM
No experience, but a comment. Buy a better tire. Your life is worth it. Cheap tires perform poorly. Get any big name tire from overseas, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, whatever. I hate seeing people using cheap tires. Think about how important they are for a while.

Old 09-22-2001, 12:49 PM
i have a friend who is the service manager at our local wal-mart. he told me the Liberator is made by Michelin. i know lots of people here that are running them with good results. more of a street tire than an off-roader. that's why i didn't consider them for my truck. good luck, Rich.

Old 09-22-2001, 10:05 PM
It's all about what you want to spend...

Because when it comes down to it, tires are made for different price brackets. I'll second, that I believe liberators are made by michelin. This does not mean they're anything comperable to a Michelin. However, when you're looking at a 285 tire, you're options are pretty limited. At least, you're out of michelin territory. Go with what makes you comfortable, just remember a couple things. Make sure you get an idea of the treadlife of the tire, I mean real treadlife, not whatever the sales guy says. Obviously, if brand x only lasts 35k miles (average for most generic tires) and a micelin or BFG, or Pirelli and such will last 60+k miles, it makes up for the price difference. Other than that, you'd be getting a better tire.
Bottom line, get what you like.

Old 09-24-2001, 02:31 AM
Hey, I was just down at walmart today and overheard the tire guy telling a customer that those liberators are in fact only good for 35,000 miles.
As for the pirellis lasting for 60k, I really don't think so.I have the scorpion at tires.The compound is relatively soft and I don't expect to get more than 35k out of them.Nice tires though,Ok in mud (hey it isn't a mud tire),good in powder and packed snow, Sand? (I haven't had a chance for that yet) good street manners.They do absolutely suck on slushy roads. though.anyway, in tires you really do get what you pay for.Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 09-24-2001, 03:06 AM
I take up for them. I have seen lots of people around here run them and had only good things to say. I have a close friend that has them on a 2wd truck and really likes them. He said for the price you can't beat the traction they gave him. If you want a decent low budget tire 'd say you would be fine with the Liberator.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Thumbs up

I have them on my "99 4X4. They have about 30,000 on them now and I see no reason they won't get 45,000! I have the 265/75-16, but will put on the 285's next time. I really don't go off road, but did try them out on a logging trail after some rain. Result: as expected for a all terrian, they will gum up with the sticky mud but will clean out pretty easily. Snow? well I live here in Tenn. so we don't get much snow, but what little snow we do get, I had no problems at all! Very pleased. Acually, the worst enemy in the snow is the truck itself! very light in the rear!
Road noise? pretty quiet. but I do like a little noise. Ride? not quite as goos as Michlens, but good for the money. Wet road? No complaints here. In fact I like them better than the Michlens that was on it when I bought it! (Michlen M/S )
A big plus for me is that I got them at Wal-Mart and if I need any service, there are 4 Wal-Marts within 20 minutes of me that I can go to. And they (tire & lube) stay open later than most tire dealers so that us working folks can get in.
Bottom line. I like them. Recommend them for people looking for dollar for dollar value. And will replace with the same thing.

Old 07-05-2003, 10:02 PM
I had them on my '97 2wd and really liked them. A buddy of mine went to Wal-Mart to get some on his Tahoe, and they didn't have the exact size he needed, and wouldn't put any other size on his truck than what was on the sticker on the door frame. The guy even showed him the policy in their book. My friend had cash in hand, and went somewhere else.

Last edited by bigblackford; 07-05-2003 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Thumbs up

I have em on my 2000 Supercab. The only other tires I have ran are:

Stock Goodyear Wrangler POS
Les Schwab Wild Country TXR (junk)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO
Wallmart liberator

Read my review I posted in this forum. They are good tires. For the money, they are GREAT tires. I'm normally a tire/equipment snob, but I checked out the tire compound and tread pattern in the store and I liked them a lot. I was hesitant to buy the tires, and debated for weeks until I broke down and got them. I figured I could run them for a year and if I didn't like em, I'd sell em for cheap and get another set of BFG's. However I was suprised at how well they perform both on and off road. They have a relatively high void for an AT tire, yet they are quieter than the stock pieces of crap that came stock. Offroad, I seriously think they did almost as good as my BFG's, but for 1/2 the price! They grip very good on pack dirt, loose dirt, and did suprizingly well in sand (at full pressure mind you). I can't say enough about these tires.
The only bad side to them as far as I can tell is that they require a lot of weight to balance. At first I was a little grumpy about all the lead hangin off my new wheels, but after driving them for 6,000 miles, I think its a minor issue.
If you wanna be the guy with shiny, expensive tires that drives on the street, don't buy em. If you are a redneck who wants to use them for offroad some of the time and are wanting a good deal, get em.
- Nealio

Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by hikerrich
i have a friend who is the service manager at our local wal-mart. he told me the Liberator is made by Michelin.
Your friend is probably on the right track here. While I doubt that the tires are made anywhere close to the plants that actually produce a product like Michelin Pilots, MAST (Michelin American Small Tire) is likely the parent company. Michelin acquired several other tire manufacturers some years back including BFG and put them all under the MAST umbrella. It is most likely one of there entry level or house brand tires. I would expect them to be "safe" enough but I wouldn't look for a premium ride or 70,000 miles out of them. Wal-Mart would probably be great to stand behind their product and you can find a Wal-Mart just about anywhere in case of a problem. That's all I got to say bout' that.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 PM
One thing about buying at walmart is repairs after service. I bought a set of tires at sears and could not find a sears automotive dept when traveling in the south.
Seems Walmart is everywhere
Another thing I like is that Walmart will not plug a tire. They must dismount it and fix it right.
As for the tires, I like the BF Goodrich enough I will never buy another brand light truck tire

Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
I had them on my ranger 2wd and they were good tires for the price. I think I got all 4 mounted and balanced for around 250 bucks (235/70-14)
They ran well and seemed to hold up well with regular rotation and pressure checks.

My brother in law still has the ranger and the tires still seem to be holding up pretty well - he's getting ready to put another set on.

YMMV

-Rich

Old 03-04-2005, 04:10 AM
Hey helper the liberators are worth the money but if you want to look into another tire for more off road and snow traction look into the BFG Land Terrains, they are alot like the BFG A/T's but the tread lugs are spread out more. I ask my wal-mart tire man here in Arkansas about the 285 and he said that they did not have any but surtain areas of the country might be able to get them. So you might as you local wal-mart tire expert to see. I ran these tires on my 4x4 Dakota and took them through mud, snow, rain, just about any kind of terrain that you could think of and they did great in all. Mine were 30 x 9.5 15's and cost me 60 bucks a tire.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=7848

Old 03-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Lightbulb Liberator Tires

I have heard all of the great reviews on these tires and I certainly don't want to destroy anyones faith. I am on the second set of these belt rolling 5,000 mile tires. That have been recalled because of the belts rolling. Walmart won't give me a different brand name. I saay if Michellin made them then I don't want any of their tires either. It sure is a dissapointment to me.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
I had a set of the Liberator A/T 31X10.50's. I put about 15K miles on them, then traded the truck off. Seemed like pretty decent tires.

Quick Reply: Wal-mart Liberator A/T Tires ?