correct way to check transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct way to check transmission fluid

HI

Haynes service manual says to check transmission fluid after driving 20 miles and check the fluid while truck is turned on and idleing.

I did this and the fluid doesn't even register on the dipstick. However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.

So, what's all this mean

thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by full_tilt
HI

Haynes service manual says to check transmission fluid after driving 20 miles and check the fluid while truck is turned on and idleing.

I did this and the fluid doesn't even register on the dipstick. However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.

So, what's all this mean

thanks in advance
Just say 'no' to Haynes.

Look in yer Owner's manual, maybe?

If yo don't have one, you can download one from here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=18

bubba

Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Transmission fluid is checked warm with it idling in Park. Sounds like you need to add some.

Haynes is okay with that statement in this case as long as it says to do it in Park.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by full_tilt
However as soon as I turn the truck off and check the fluid level it registers fine on the dipstick.
You can't accurately check trans fluid with the engine off. It will always read higher with the engine off.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM
The purpose in driving the vehicle 20 miles is to warm the Tranny up. I either drive mine or let it sit and idle for about 15-20 min.'s then shift thru the gears manually then check with the tranny warm. As stated by Mark you can't check trans fluid cold. If the level doesn't touch the the stick with a warm tranny and in park I would say you need fluid and wonder why and where it's going. Probably a seal.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You usually don't even have to read the manual: it's often printed ON the dipstick. "Check hot idling in Park."

Old 09-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Transmission fluid is checked warm with it idling in Park.
Well, this is true in my other vehicles, but the dipstick on my 2005 F150 5.4L seems to indicate something else. Near the bottom, it says "Cold," then there's a line across the stick. there's a crosshatch above the line, then another line. Nothing else is printed on the stick.

I need to check the level, but this is confusing. Does this mean to check the fluid cold, with the vehicle idling in park?

Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to add that the dipstick in my truck does not look like the one in the owner's manual. The manual shows a large crosshatch area near the bottom with the word "COLD" in it. Then there's another large crosshatch area above that with the work "HOT" in it. Mine doesn't look like that at all; there's only one crosshatch area, it's small (about 1/2" long), and it doesn't have anything printed in it.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I looked at the dipstick again this morning, just because I was so annoyed. There's writing on the upper part of the stick that I had totally overlooked. It clearly states to check the fluid hot, with the tranny in Park, and not to add fluid if the level is in the crosshatch area. Doh!

Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Transmission fluid is checked warm with it idling in Park. Sounds like you need to add some.

Haynes is okay with that statement in this case as long as it says to do it in Park.
my 2008 owners manual says you can check the fluid cold so long as ambient temperature is 50 degrees or higher. I would start it first tho, fluid level drops.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:29 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
It depends on the dipstick. On some dipsticks, there are marks for "cold" and "hot". In theory, the fluid expands as it heats up. Checking it hot gives you a more complete picture. Checking it cold is still okay to let you know that it's in the acceptable range for a cold transmission, you can see the color, and smell it.

The real problem is that when they say "hot", they mean 150 - 170 degrees Fahrenheit. A lot of people have no idea what the temperature is. I could be driving around, all day and I look down at my gauge, and the temp could be 225. If I check my ATF, it will not be accurate in the "hot" zone.

Maybe we could all take a deep breath, take a step back, and refer to the Corvette Forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-v4-3-28-2014/

Old 02-06-2021, 10:31 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Whether you check it hot or cold, you do it with the engine running in Park.

Quick Reply: correct way to check transmission fluid