Lightning

Truck will start then die.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will start then die.....

I'm new to the forum since I just bought my 02 HD a few weeks ago. I realize this is the lightning forum but since it's the same motor (certain years) I figured it might help someone here too.

Bought truck and drove it for a week and a half. I ordered a K&N intake kit and installed it. I crank the truck up immediatly after installing the intake and it sounds great..... pull the truck over to the garage to put away some tools and leave it running. While I'm putting tools away I here the truck die... So I go and crank it and all it does is crank normally, then dies. Try a few times and it eventually stays running but RPM's hunt up and down. Pressing gas has no effect. So I'm thinking a vacuum line somewhere since I just put the intake on.... Well long story shorter, it was nothing to do with the work I had just done. After a day and a half and replacing Idle Control Valve and TPS, I started looking at relays..... The relay under the hood that is attached to the fuse box, there are two of them. One is the high/low fuel pump of something like that... I have a spare and decide to try it and what do you know the truck starts up and runs like new. A $5.00 relay disabled my entire truck and had me stumped.... Hope this saves someone a headache...

Thanks for a great forum, I'm learning constantly.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 AM
deleted

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 AM
02 & 03 are the same.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by olefafl
02 & 03 are the same.
Same motor, but different upper pulley, and programing

Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
deleted

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM
There's always "That Guy" that wants to prove they know more than the next person........

I hope my original post helps someone or at least saves them some time.

Thanks for the important info LTNDave..... What does HP/TQ ratings have to do with a fuel pump relay anyway? Correct, nothing.....
I was only sharing a problem/solution, not trying to debate the differences in the L/HD trucks of certain years. I clearly said I was referring to a 02 HD.
Anyway, great forum overall.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Talking No One Was Trying To Prove Anything

Originally Posted by eodtech72
There's always "That Guy" that wants to prove they know more than the next person........

Thanks for the important info LTNDave..... What does HP/TQ ratings have to do with a fuel pump relay anyway? Correct, nothing.....
I was only sharing a problem/solution, not trying to debate the differences in the L/HD trucks of certain years. I clearly said I was referring to a 02 HD.
No one was trying to "prove, anything this forum is made up of people who know more than most of us and are willing to help and correct those who like myself do not know everything you just got corrected except the fact that your HD is not a lightning nor will it ever be. And don't try to blame someone else who is trying to help you always remember you may want to come on this forum and ask for information about a subject where someone knows more than you do. You know it is not a crime to have more knowledge than some one else .

Last edited by tlfwatch; 09-15-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:13 PM
perhaps alternator

Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by tlfwatch
No one was trying to "prove, anything this forum is made up of people who know more than most of us and are willing to help and correct those who like myself do not know everything you just got corrected except the fact that your HD is not a lightning nor will it ever be. And don't try to blame someone else who is trying to help you always remember you may want to come on this forum and ask for information about a subject where someone knows more than you do. You know it is not a crime to have more knowledge than some one else .
Yea ,right,, some real winners on this forum Thanks Don,,, and thanks EODTECH for the tip, and welcome...

Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Great googly-moogly! Pick any nits lately?

Thanks for the tip eodtech72. That's what this forum used to be about. There is a lot of good info here; and, most of the guys here are still pretty good guys, too.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 PM

Don't be a jerk!!

Thanks for being "That Guy" who has to prove that he knows more than the next.

Last edited by LTNDave; 09-24-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
As I stated before, I hope my post helps someone here......

As for all the superfluous info, hey if that's what makes you feel good about yourself have at it. I know the differences but it wasn't really relevant or meant to start a debate. If you read the post I said for an 02 HD. If you don't have that "type" of motor than you could have just ignored the post as it was irrelevant to you.

Thanks to some of you for the welcome.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
As I stated before, I hope my post helps someone here......

As for all the superfluous info, hey if that's what makes you feel good about yourself have at it. I know the differences but it wasn't really relevant or meant to start a debate. If you read the post I said for an 02 HD. If you don't have that "type" of motor than you could have just ignored the post as it was irrelevant to you.

Thanks to some of you for the welcome.

The last time I checked this was the LIGHTNING FORUM, not the HD forum.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Is that the same relay Gigi changed?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:41 PM
What this is the Lightning forum?? Guess I was in the wrong place....thanks for bringing that to my attention LTNDave. You are the unopposed Master of the Obvious...

For the rest of you sane Lightning owners I hope this is useful, I know I get alot of info from Lightning forums AS WELL AS the HD forums. Most people are thankful for shared information/knowledge. I'm done.

Quick Reply: Truck will start then die.....