cam phaser replacement...do it yourself?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam phaser replacement...do it yourself?

I know my 04 F150 5.4 has the cam phaser ticking and I suspect it is the cause of the lack of power. I have worked on engines since I was 16 off and on, 38 now. I have never worked on an engine with these cam phasers and to be honest don't even know what they look like.

Can the average Joe replace their's? I would like to know the cost of the parts and if there are any special tools required. Any pictures are also a great help.

Oh, warranty is up so I am on the hook for this repair.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to this site and watch the video '5.4L VCT Theory of Operation', its the 5th one down and you can decide http://flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=12&

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great video

Old 08-30-2007, 11:03 AM
I can't view it at work, I will have to wait until I get home from hockey,late. Thanks, I look forward to learning from it.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That is a great site. I also watched the spark plug change. That is awesome. Thanks so much!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The passenger side sucks, I haven't figured out yet how to get the valve cover off without discharging the A/C. The driver's side isn't so bad. If you take your time, and have a couple of special tools, replacing the cam phaser isn't a real big job.

If I get a real wild hair, I may replace mine this fall/winter and take some pics and stuff. My driver's side is rattling and clattering a bit.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Well those are excellent videos for information, but very bad for examples of acting!! Not sure if I want to tackle that one only because I don't have the special tools required. The wedge that holds the chain is very important as is the lifter removal tool.
I am going to see what the dealer will charge to do the job, if it is too much, I will buy the required tools and do it myself. I think mine is the driver's side if I remember correctly, so I don't have to worry about the A/C.

Thanks again for posting that link.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:23 PM
I get an error that says my account does not have access

How can I see the video?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Nevermind, the link must have changed. I just went to the main site and found it.

Should have done that before posting earlier, sorry.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The passenger side sucks, I haven't figured out yet how to get the valve cover off without discharging the A/C. The driver's side isn't so bad. If you take your time, and have a couple of special tools, replacing the cam phaser isn't a real big job.

If I get a real wild hair, I may replace mine this fall/winter and take some pics and stuff. My driver's side is rattling and clattering a bit.
Quintin, I was able to get my pass. side off without removing that a/c hose. I just pulled the small bolts and rubber gromets off the back half of the valve cover that hang up on the camshaft caps. A little wiggle and choice word never hurt either.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I remove the battery, battery tray, and unbolt the accumulator and "move" the accumulator and line out of the way, then "reposition" afterwards. If the truck has a body lift, it'll come right out. Left side takes less than 45 minutes while the right side takes around an hour and a half.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 AM
I had mine replaced 2 months ago. the ticking didn't go away. Ford tech said that they all do it and that is should be nothing to worry about. Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts if I hold it right around 950 rpms. Not sure if it is the phasers again or not, because they werent the noise before...

Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cam phasers don't tick, the fuel injectors do.

http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4 See episode 22 for all the engine sounds, good and bad.

Last edited by Stealth; 03-06-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torkum
Go to this site and watch the video '5.4L VCT Theory of Operation', its the 5th one down and you can decide http://flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=12&

Excellent site !!!!!
Thank You for sharing. I watched the "spark-plug removal vid."
Only question I have is, they didn't show the porcelain being removed but suggested the head be pulled if some of the porcelain is left in the ground shield. I have read on this site that ppl are removing the porcelain anyways which could/will creat a catastrofic problem in the cylinder. What is your input on this subject. I am asking just for curiosity sake.

Thanks again for the web-site.

TJK

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Iowa
I had mine replaced 2 months ago. the ticking didn't go away. Ford tech said that they all do it and that is should be nothing to worry about. Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts if I hold it right around 950 rpms. Not sure if it is the phasers again or not, because they werent the noise before...
Man am I glad to read that. I too can hold mine right at 950-1000 RPM and it sounds exactly the same. So this isn't a problem? I've already had both phasers changed but that was 70k ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam phaser replacement...do it yourself?