Lightning

It's still leaking coolant from the lower trans cooler line...Advice needed...

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy It's still leaking coolant from the lower trans cooler line...Advice needed...

I need some input. While I was at the dealership to get the recall completed I also had them take a look at my lower transmission cooler line that goes into the radiator. It has been slowly leaking coolant (no trans fluid) from where the fitting goes into the radiator. Initially I thought it was the lower radiator hose leaking, but upon closer inspection I figured out that it was the cooler line. The Ford tech had it on the lift, fiddling with it for about 2 hours and it still leaks. The weird thing is that when he pressurized the coolant system it stopped leaking. As soon as he relieved the pressure it started leaking again. I think it's the o-ring that seals the cooler line fitting to the radiator. It might be cut or mashed or something. For some reason the Ford tech didn't want to remove the entire fitting. He did pull the line out of the fitting and as he was doing that it started leaking even worse from him moving it around to get the hose out of the fitting. His opinion was that it's either a bad o-ring or the radiator is cracked. They don't sell just the o-rings so I had the parts department order me the fitting and it comes with the o-ring as an assembly. Hopefully that will fix it and I don't have to drop $400 for a new radiator. Should I install the new fitting/o-ring myself or let Ford do it?

Also, it never leaked before I installed the braided trans cooler lines. I didn't mess with the radiator cooler at all during the install, but I can't help but think that maybe I tweaked that line while I was installing the trans cooler line on it.

What do you think is causing this leak.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I had the same problem on my 01. Had to replace the clamp and line.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SVTLIGHTING
I had the same problem on my 01. Had to replace the clamp and line.
What clamp? It's not the radiator hose that's leaking. It's leaking from around the trans cooler fitting.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
coolant leak

the end tank will have to be puled to replace the seal.a rad shop will be your best bet they will have the repair seales that woy need. ben

Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by benyouall
the end tank will have to be puled to replace the seal.a rad shop will be your best bet they will have the repair seales that woy need. ben
What end tank are you talking about? When we pulled the radiator out to install my engine we didn't have to pull any end tank. We just unscrewed the fittings and took out the o-rings...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
coolant tank

the trans cooler is inside the rad in tank.if its leaking coolant , you must pull the tank fron the rad. to get to the o rings.the trans cooler is inside the end the tank this is how the trans.fluid is kept from the coolant. ben

Old 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by benyouall
the trans cooler is inside the rad in tank.if its leaking coolant , you must pull the tank fron the rad. to get to the o rings.the trans cooler is inside the end the tank this is how the trans.fluid is kept from the coolant. ben
I know the trans cooler is inside the drivers side of the radiator. You don't have to remove the cooler from the radiator to remove or put the o-rings on the cooler. I've done it before. I can't really see any way to get it out without destroying the radiator.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM
it is probably just the ring. my shadetree fix is stil holfing up on mine. i know i need to fix it properly, but it is hard to argue with results.

can you just use the o-ring fromt he new fitting? the ring is what seals the radiator, if you are not losing tranny fluid, then i don't think the fitting is the problem

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just the o-ring, but the radiator could very well be cracked. I'm not losing any trans fluid so like you said it's probably not the fitting. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and see if loosening it and moving it a little makes a difference.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
The cooler unit is a loose fit inside the end cap of the radiator.

Transmission lines screw into this cooler and you can apply a little pipe sealer suitable for oil lines onto the threads.

When you tighten the trans lines it pulls the cooler tight against the inside of the radiator ends caps which are high density plastic and pretty strong.

When you tighten up it pulls the black rubber seals hard against the inside of the end cap to keep coolant jacket sealed.

The O ring is infact a flat rubber seal and you can remove and replace these easy, remove the inner plastic wheel arch for easy access.
Drop your coolant and remove trans lines, pick out old seals and replace.
Apply a little vaselene to keep them in place untill you have it all hooked up.

If it takes you more than half an hour, hang up your coveralls and sell your tool kit

Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ricki F-150
The cooler unit is a loose fit inside the end cap of the radiator.

Transmission lines screw into this cooler and you can apply a little pipe sealer suitable for oil lines onto the threads.

When you tighten the trans lines it pulls the cooler tight against the inside of the radiator ends caps which are high density plastic and pretty strong.

When you tighten up it pulls the black rubber seals hard against the inside of the end cap to keep coolant jacket sealed.

The O ring is infact a flat rubber seal and you can remove and replace these easy, remove the inner plastic wheel arch for easy access.
Drop your coolant and remove trans lines, pick out old seals and replace.
Apply a little vaselene to keep them in place untill you have it all hooked up.

If it takes you more than half an hour, hang up your coveralls and sell your tool kit
Thanks man. I'll give that a try and hopefully the leak will stop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's still leaking coolant from the lower trans cooler line...Advice needed...