Has anyone experienced a popping noise from front axle during 4x4?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone experienced a popping noise from front axle during 4x4?

I took my truck offroading for the first time this past weekend. It is also the first time I engaged my 4 wheel drive. There were a few pops from the front axle. It felt like maybe the front axle slipped and popped back into place. I was in soft dirt at about 10 mph and it only did it a few times. It popped twice when I first engaged 4x4. Then later during a sharp turn. And again going down a steep hill. So, it did it about 5 or 6 times within an hour of offroading. What would cause this? Is this because it was the first time engaging 4 wheel drive? Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 AM
its probably your transfer case i just stripped mine out now im about a gand deep in parts.... the ford TC is a pile of crap im really mad! thats the way it started with mine i could be something else but that sounds just like my issue....

Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
ALways best to not look for the worst first - I've never had any popping, but I wouldn't assume the worst right off. Could be a hub not engaging correctly, or just something binding. Were the wheels turned when you noticed the noise?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would have to say it was a CV shaft binding how does you CV angle look like? or it could be a problem with the air activated hubs not fully locking

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Another thing is that your truck is probably going on 3 years old and you've never engaged the 4wd. It's always a good idea to engage it every couple weeks just to keep eveything lubricated.

Look for tears in the cv boots on the front axleshafts. If the grease has leaked out then the axle is pretty much ruined. A bad cv joint will making popping noises that will progressively get worse as time goes on. If that is your problem, it's a pretty easy fix and shouldn't cost more than $75 or $80.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I get little pops every now and then. Before and after I had cranked coilovers. How could I test if my hubs are fully locking?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
The hubs and axles on these truck are fixed to eachother, so the axle always turns. There's no way for the hub to be "disengaged". The "engagement" happens on the other end, inside the differential.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
I thought it engaged in the transfer case, cause the drive shaft spins even in 2x4. But there are vacuum lines that run to the hubs so something is happening there.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
My understanding is the hubs are vacuum actuated. There are vacuum lines running into the hub for this purpose. The when you engage the transfer case a vacuum signal locks the hubs. I could be mistaken, but believe this to be correct. At least on the new body style 04 (not the classic, not sure what those have).

The driveshaft may rotate due to gear lube pushing it.

I have a Jeep YJ with a central axle disconnect - on that style system, one axle shaft disconnects, so 1 axle and the driveshaft are always driven... stupid set up.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by kalebarellano
I thought it engaged in the transfer case, cause the drive shaft spins even in 2x4. But there are vacuum lines that run to the hubs so something is happening there.
it does as far as i know..... i got this hole speach from everyone hoping it wasn't my TC but it was. in you case hopfully you can catch it before you do any real damage. sorry to come up with the worst possible thing first but thats exactly what my truck did before it broke. good luck

Old 07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
The popping only happened on the drivers side. It happened mostly when I was turning. No popping when I was going straight up hill. I'm thinking maybe the accuator on the left side isn't fully engaging. Could this be the reason? It sounds like the popping came from the left cv not the transfer case. My cv angles are the same as factory, and the boots are perfect. I only have 17,000 miles on my truck and only 5,000 with my lift. Also, I was told to never engage my 4 wheel drive on the pavement. I live in Los Angeles, so it is difficult for me to engage my 4 wheel drive as often as I should. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I may be wrong because all I have experience with are 97-03s, but I'm pretty sure the system works the same. On my truck, ther are no vaccuum lines going to the hub. The only lines going there are the brake line and the wires to the ABS sensor. I've replaced both my axleshaft and hub, and there is no way they can spin separately from eachother. The axleshafts spin whether the truck is in 2wd or 4wd.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Jiggle, the system is definitely different - had mine apart to install the lift and the hub definitely has an engagement flange.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by jiggle
I may be wrong because all I have experience with are 97-03s, but I'm pretty sure the system works the same. On my truck, ther are no vaccuum lines going to the hub. The only lines going there are the brake line and the wires to the ABS sensor. I've replaced both my axleshaft and hub, and there is no way they can spin separately from eachother. The axleshafts spin whether the truck is in 2wd or 4wd.
o no there are atleast 3 vaccum lines that go to the hub that i can remember while installing my lift....
The popping only happened on the drivers side. It happened mostly when I was turning. No popping when I was going straight up hill. I'm thinking maybe the accuator on the left side isn't fully engaging. Could this be the reason? It sounds like the popping came from the left cv not the transfer case. My cv angles are the same as factory, and the boots are perfect. I only have 17,000 miles on my truck and only 5,000 with my lift. Also, I was told to never engage my 4 wheel drive on the pavement. I live in Los Angeles, so it is difficult for me to engage my 4 wheel drive as often as I should. Thanks.
now that you say that it could be something in your hub this trucks dont have the strongest hubbs in the world but if you know its coming from the front drivers side then its not the transfer case.... just bring the truck into your machanic and find out no reason to sit online and wonder....

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bryndon
Jiggle, the system is definitely different - had mine apart to install the lift and the hub definitely has an engagement flange.
Okay, I stand corrected. Perhaps I should stop just assuming stuff lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone experienced a popping noise from front axle during 4x4?