Where is the low pressure side port for A/C?

Old 06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the low pressure side port for A/C?

Where is the low pressure side port?

I found a black cap on an A/C line on the passenger side and toward the front of the engine (is this the correct place)?

There also appears to be a port on the tin can looking thing up by the firewall.

I seen the diagram and it doesnt seem to make sense. Can anyone post a real picture?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you trying to recharge your a/c??. you have one of those r134 cans with the adapter??? the adapter will only fit the low side fitting. i think its one the line going to the condenser.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 06-28-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
are you trying to recharge your a/c??. you have one of those r134 cans with the adapter??? the adapter will only fit the low side fitting. i think its one the line going to the condenser.
Yes, I have the r134 can, with the adapter and gauge. I just cant fint the port. I searched and it says that its on top of the dryer, but I dont see it there.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 AM
i have a 4.6 and its on the left. as your standing looking at the motor. in the a/c line that goes to the condenser.black cap u unscrew.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by supraisthebest
Where is the low pressure side port?

There also appears to be a port on the tin can looking thing up by the firewall.

That is the low side port. The other one is the high side port which, should you manage to get it connected, can turn that can into your own personal IED when the compressor engages.

Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I would recommend that you not try to recharge your A/C with a simple can tapper. Go get yourself a proper set of manifold gauges and do it that way. There are 2 ways to add refrigerant - through the low side port with the can upright (feeding gas) and the engine/compressor running, or through the high side port with the engine OFF and the can upside down (feeding liquid).

Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
....or through the high side port with the engine OFF and the can upside down (feeding liquid).
Correct "high side" charging requires very special equipment and training. Don't even suggest this as a possibility to non-qualified people as you could encourage them to do something that may lead to injury or failure.

Doing as you suggested will result in only a partial charge and must be done into a vacuum. You still can't do this sucessfully and properly without the aforementioned requirements.

My advice: Don't give this out as advice to neophytes.

Steve

Old 06-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
That is the low side port. The other one is the high side port which, should you manage to get it connected, can turn that can into your own personal IED when the compressor engages.

Steve
But that port fitting seems to slip of easily. The can will not grip the fitting. Do I have to buy a special fitting/adapter?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM
you have to pull back on the adapter hose fitting. its spring loaded right??? pull back and slide on the low side fitting all the way. then let the adapter spring lock it in place. that fitting only fits the low side. if you still are not sure bring it to someone who has done it before.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
If you haven't already found it, it is near the top of the condenser on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment - or about 8 inches directly behind the yellow head of the tranny fluid dipstick. It is difficult to see because there is a black cap on it and everything around it is black too. I just used the same regular R134 adapter I use for everything else with no problem.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 PM
by the time you find it will be to late, summer will be over

Old 07-07-2007, 11:30 AM
The port you are looking for is on that tin can looking thing you mentioned.

I asked this same question in another forum and someone came to my rescue.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Try this thread. This is the one that answered my question.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=277883

Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by rickb65
If you haven't already found it, it is near the top of the condenser on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment - or about 8 inches directly behind the yellow head of the tranny fluid dipstick. It is difficult to see because there is a black cap on it and everything around it is black too. I just used the same regular R134 adapter I use for everything else with no problem.
You just saved a frustration blowout!! Tricky little hidden thang. Its nice that when people ask where something is, someone actually tells us, instead of missing the point of the question. Saw the post i was looking for, found your answer half way thru all the crap. Now Im riding cool again!! so thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the low pressure side port for A/C?