# of bolts on starter?

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
# of bolts on starter?

Need to replace my starter and the new one has 3 bolt 'tabs' on it... The Chilton manual says to "remove the two starter bolts"...

I have crawled under there for a look, I can clearly see 2, but the other is out of sight. The new starter 'looks' exactly like the original one.

So, is there that third bolt on it?

Thanks!

Mitch

Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the third bolt is a pain in the A$$. have to reach way in there. have to do it by feel. 6 inch extension and a swivel. i cant remember the socket size though.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The third one is on top. Go in through the wheel well with a long 3/8" extension (the longest one you've got, I use a 24") and a 13mm swivel socket.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went underneath, got an extension the length of the starter...

Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys!

So, there is the third bolt... That's what I was afraid of. So, I have the correct replacement then... I just have to get to that third bolt!

Just to toss out another question on this..... I had 'starting' issues this last weekend right before I was heading out for a 4 day camping trip... The truck eventually started (after tapping the solenoid on the starter), so I got a new one to take with me on the road, just in case.... Well, as it turned out, it was my battery... It had plenty of volts, but under load, the CCA went down to nothing... A new battery and I was good to go...

BUT, the starter does not sound or turn over the same way it used to... Meaning, it sounds like it's still 'laboring' and spins 'slower' then before..

Could the low amps of the old battery caused the OEM starter to burn out some?? I know that if you run an electric motor for too long using lower voltage can 'burn' out the motor (for example, running an RV air conditioner on less then 105V will eventually burn out the motor)

Since I have the new starter, I'm thinking that I might as well just replace it anyway? Sound like a waste of time, or good 'preventive maintenance'??

Thanks again!!

Mitch

Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
yeh the 3rd bolt is a PITa.. i got pretty efficient at it. once u learn the socket and extention combination. i used a 13mm on a 1/4" drive ratchet. for more room

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
theres lots of wrench combos you have to remember for theses trucks lol. good chance you burned out the starter. shouldnt crank it for more than 5 seconds. alot of people dont realize that when there vehicle wont start. if you alrerady have the starter might as well install it, especially if you plan on keeping it and its your only vehicle. they always seem to break down when your broke. if you have the cash to fix a potential problem do it.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Keith! That's my thinking too. I didn't really crank it for any amount of time when I had the weak battery... It was the good ol' 'turn the key and 'click'. I did hold the key 'on' for probably 5 seconds at times.... I repeated this several times as well! So, I was telling it to start, but with not enough CCA going in, it couldn't even turn over!

I guess when it finally did catch, it was just a fluke. It didn't start the slow spinning until the next day and continued even after getting the new battery.

I have made sure the battery is fully charged as well by putting in a battery charger..

Thanks again guys! I guess you know what I'll be doing this Saturday!

Mitch

Old 06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't feel bad

Don't feel bad the Haynes book says 2 bolts also. I found out the hard way there is 3.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Don't even worry about putting that top bolt back in. 3 years and counting on only 2 bolts holding in the starter in my 4.6L 96 thunderbird. If you think it's bad getting to that top bolt in a pickup try getting to it in a thunderbird, almost twice as bad

Old 06-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Did the job today and it was not too bad once you get the right combo of extensions, universal and deep socket/socket to finally a wrench to reach each bolt.....

The top one was actually pretty easy, with the front tire off and then you get at it from the wheel well....

The old starter really started to struggle yesterday, so it was easy to make the decision to change it out. And, what a difference... The thing turns right over and starts immediately now.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 06-24-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you get that lifetime warrante Bosch - I put one in last winter , infact , re-wired everthing as well .. Works great !

Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 AM
j brew i dont think u have enough drills. :

Old 06-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Naw, just a reman from Car Quest... They were the first auto parts store in a line of many on the same side of the street, so I stopped there first. Then it would have been a Pep Boys then a Schucks.

It was a Friday morning of the day we were leaving for a 4 day camping trip when I picked up the starter, so I didn't want to shop around. The truck decided not to start after I backed it out of the garage, packed some stuff in the bed. Was going to hitch up the trailer and 'click'.....

It eventually started, so decided to pick up the starter and go anyway! Did fine until Saturday, when the truck barely cranked at all.. Turned out to be a bad battery. Replaced it, then it was better, but then the old starter slowed down to where it barely cranked over yesterday... Thought I got a bum battery, but figured it couldn't be that.... It's a brand freakn' new Interstate..

Works like a charm now, and it's got a lifetime warranty on it too, so If I have to replace again, it should not be that bad of a job..

Mitch

Old 06-24-2007, 03:38 AM
have to be careful with those remans. they only replace what absoulutely must be replaced. ive had good luck with autozones remans so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: # of bolts on starter?