1982 4x4 bearing replacement?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 4x4 bearing replacement?

Help (please!)

My '82 destroyed the left front wheel bearing today, of course 80 miles from home. Would I be better off changing it on the road, or towing it home. I don't have tons of money at the moment so any and all help appreciated.

I've searched the web and come up blank.

I'm not sure how the axle is, but can it be fixed with a repair kit to space the bearing out if it's galled or worn?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The axle isn't hurt because the wheel bearings don't touch it. Click my signature link & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. It shows everything you need to know, but you can skip some of it. You probably don't have auto hub locks, so skip those. You have the oldest style of caliper with a bolt on each knuckle to hold the keys in, so skip the pics about the rubber-filled keys and the floating calipers.

If you plan to do this on the side of the road, in addition to regular wrenches/sockets/ratchets, you'll need a set of inch hex keys, metric hex keys, torx drivers, hammers, a large prybar, a long drift (punch), outside snap ring pliers, rags, good EP grease rated for disc brakes, a bearing packer, lots of rags, needle-nose pliers, mechanics picks, a piece of cardboard, a trash bag, more rags, lug wrench, jack, jack stand, reflective triangle, & a flashing light. Also, it requires a special spanner socket with 4 teeth to remove the wheel bearing nuts, which look like this. The tool is shown in one of the pics with a disassembled auto hub lock.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
The axle isn't hurt because the wheel bearings don't touch it. Click my signature link & look in the Brakes & Hubs album. It shows everything you need to know, but you can skip some of it. You probably don't have auto hub locks, so skip those. You have the oldest style of caliper with a bolt on each knuckle to hold the keys in, so skip the pics about the rubber-filled keys and the floating calipers.

If you plan to do this on the side of the road, in addition to regular wrenches/sockets/ratchets, you'll need a set of inch hex keys, metric hex keys, torx drivers, hammers, a large prybar, a long drift (punch), outside snap ring pliers, rags, good EP grease rated for disc brakes, a bearing packer, lots of rags, needle-nose pliers, mechanics picks, a piece of cardboard, a trash bag, more rags, lug wrench, jack, jack stand, reflective triangle, & a flashing light. Also, it requires a special spanner socket with 4 teeth to remove the wheel bearing nuts, which look like this. The tool is shown in one of the pics with a disassembled auto hub lock.
Steve,

I can't thank you enough. Other than the hub socket I've got everything I need in my garage / work van. I have located a local person off of a VA car enthusiasts group / forum who is supposed to haul it back home for me for gas and a little spending cash, so with all luck it will be in my garage by nightfall.

The truck was a "deal" from a friend to help him out, and help me out as I need a truck to haul firewood and other stuff in. Worse case I can get it home and part it out and get my money out of it, but it's a nice truck so I hope to salvage it.

1982 F150 4x4, 300 inline, 4-speed, 31x10.50x15 tires on 10" steel wheels, locking rear and front diffs (posi supposedly). Only has 108k on it but it was a boat tow truck that had a front hitch so the guy could see the boat as he drove it into the bay. Guess the salt water got to the bearings as it sat in his yard.

Thanks again, I'll post up what I find if I can get it back home.

Dan.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, I finally found the time to tear it apart.

The end of the axle is very beat up - right where the outer snap ring seats. Also the spindle has some damage, and the inner bearing race has become one with the spindle. Inside the hub is pretty beat up as well.

I am searching for a donor axle to get parts from as we speak. I've got all new bearings for both front hubs, new seals for the spindle and the hub, new premium warn manual hubs ready to go back in. Also need some front brake pads as the inner pad wore at an angle due to the wheel leaning.

So whenever I find the time and money to get another axle to pull everything out of (or off of) I'll be able to get it back on four wheels and able to drive it.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Put your location in your profile. I might be able to suggest some axle sources.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1982 4x4 bearing replacement?