electric brake controller wiring

Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric brake controller wiring

So I got up under the dash and plugged in the EBC and plugged the relay in the fuse box. My question is should the "Battery Feed" wire be hot when the truck is on? I put a test light to all wire and got nothing/

I'm trying to see if I can use the power feed as a source for a few aftermarket items instead of taping into the box.

I have an '07 Lariat 4x4.

Thanks

TB

Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 AM
only hot when the the key is on I was thinking of the same thing.

John

Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you talking about the Red lead in the gray 6 pin connector ?

EVTM shows it to be hot at all times.

Page 15 of the trailer tow install directions does not make a note either way :

If you look at the diagram, F105 is fed from 2 other fuses ( have not located those 2 yet ).

If I got the correct wire, it should be a 10 or 12 AWG wire, hot at all times. Keep in mind John might have actually tracked down with a meter that it is only hot in the run position, or run / assy, which would be a case of the EVTM being wrong, and one of those other 2 fuses only being hot in the run position.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I'll double check all the fueses tonight to see if something went wrong there. If I looked at it right Fuse 106 gets a hot feed and sends it to the relay that turns on when the truck is running and off when the truck is off.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Side-note:
SSCULLY
I picked this up in a junkyard without noticing what year truck I found it in. Can you ID what year range it's made for? I guessed '99. I also edited the instructions down to just what's needed.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Side-note:
SSCULLY
I picked this up in a junkyard without noticing what year truck I found it in. Can you ID what year range it's made for? I guessed '99. I also edited the instructions down to just what's needed. ..<snip>..
I want to say '99 was when adapters were still used to make the 4 pin trailer plug on both F-series and EXPY/Nav's. '00 was the start of the F-series having the 4 pin on the truck next to the 7 pin round connector ( if memory serves me correctly that is the -A vs. -Q on the part number).

The guts of the diagram, and the parts [i]should]/i] work on any '99 to '03 ( and '04 Heritage & Lightning ) truck, as the 2 relay locations are the same place on that series ( '97 & '98 are in a separate relay box under the hood ).
I have the directions from my '01 scanned into PDF if you want them, just drop me an email and I can send them off to you for comparison, it is a 3MB pdf file.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Update-

I plugged the harness back in, took a test light and got nothing, however the brake light leed did work. I also took the light back and tested the 7 pin and guess what has power. the battery trailer feed tab. Go figure.

Is it possible that Ford has it all prewired and connected on the 07's and that there is something else I am missing.

The Wire diagram scanned in above is the same that came with it

Old 04-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Are you asking about:
up by the EBC 6 pin connector : red wire = trailer brake battery feed

or

7 pin adapter orange wire trailer battery feed ( this one is hot in run position only )

Both of these have "Battery Feed" in the name, but each has a different function.

Just wondering where you are "getting nothing" at, and with the key in what position.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I have no power to the red battery feed on the harness that plugs in under the dash. but the green brake wire does light up when I press the brakes using a test light.. Truck is on when I test the pig tail

That help?

Old 04-20-2007, 05:43 PM

When you meter the socket for Fuse #F105, is there +12V on either of the pins for the fuse ? This is the fuse for the red wire into the 6 pin EBC pigtail

Which Green wire:

EBC 6 pin connector pigtail Light Green wire : Input to EBC from brake switch ( I think this is the one you are talking about ).

7 pin round Dark Green wire : Right stop / Turn lamp

4 pin flat dark green wire : Right stop / turn lamp

Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM
i'll test it and get back with ya

Thanks again

Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 PM
105 was blown. I took out a 30A from the passenger seat to test it and it powered up which is both good and bad.

Good that it powers up

bad that, why a truck with only 900 miles have a blown fuse already. next question is looking at the diagram it looks like it is suppose to be on key on and not battery hot and last the wife's chair wont move till i get new fues which will be priority one cause if mama aint happy ant nobody happy.

course it burned up the moonroof switch 3 days ago and it wont be at the dealer till monday....i hope this isnt the beginning of a lemon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electric brake controller wiring