Pre-1997 Models

problems with charging system

Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with charging system

I have a 1985 ford f-150, 4.9l manual trans, 2 wheel drive. electrical system is not charging battery. changed solenoid, alternator, voltage regulator, new battery, new cables, but still no charging. any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Could be a bad fuse?
Good luck
Shane

Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

Which cables?
Did all those componets test bad or was this "shootin' in the dark"?
My bet is the fuseable link between the alt and starter relay.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Charging Troubles

Did your charging troubles get fixed? Kinda experiencing the same thing on my 98 Expedition and have replaced battery and alternator so far and both tested bad. Also my battery light and air bag light don't light up anymore when I turn the key on. Any help to get me headed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Check ground wires first. It's free, and you've gotta have good ground to be sure about anything else. I learned the hard way. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Is your "not charging" coming from looking at the gauge, or have you put a DVOM(volt meter) on the battery while running and found out that it isn't charging? I've had two older trucks that the gauge went out on that's why I ask.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Still no Charge.

Originally Posted by TypeJ
Check ground wires first. It's free, and you've gotta have good ground to be sure about anything else. I learned the hard way. Good luck.
Thanks for replying TypeJ, Checked the grounds and they are good.

Last edited by Okivice; 03-03-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
No Voltage change at Battery.

Originally Posted by bigbronc
Is your "not charging" coming from looking at the gauge, or have you put a DVOM(volt meter) on the battery while running and found out that it isn't charging? I've had two older trucks that the gauge went out on that's why I ask.
Thanks for replying BigBronc,

I have checked it using a DVOM on the Battery. I also took it back to the shop where I purchased the alternator and where I purchased the battery and everyones test showed that the alternator was not charging the battery. However when removed and checked the alternator checks out. Checked all connectors, grounds, and fuses with no success yet. So I am looking to see if there are any other possiblities that I am overlooking. Have a great day.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Do you have continuity in the cable between the alternator and the battery? Disconnect it at both ends and measure resistance in the cable. If it shows an open circuit you've found the problem

Old 03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Continuity

Originally Posted by StrangeRanger
Do you have continuity in the cable between the alternator and the battery? Disconnect it at both ends and measure resistance in the cable. If it shows an open circuit you've found the problem
Thanks StrangeRanger and to all others that replied. I have quit chasing the problem. Needed to get my wife out of my vehicle, before she breaks it too, so I bought her a new vehicle. I greatly appreciate all of the assistance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problems with charging system