Drivetrain vibration in 99 Ford 150

Old 01-16-2000, 04:12 PM
RMN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Drivetrain vibration in 99 Ford 150

1999 F150, Supercab, 8' bed, 5.4 engine, 3.55 rear end, purchased Aug. 99 at Crandall Ford, Thompson, Ohio.

I felt vibration shortly after truck was purchased between 41-60 mph. Dealer has done the following: replaced driveshaft twice, replaced rear frame member, balanced all tires and rotors twice. Finally in December after two visits, Ford Rep. was contacted & came to dealer to work on truck. He rebalanced driveshaft, finally using a hose clamp, vibration STILL THERE!

I contacted 800 Ford number & faxed by 4 page report. I demanded replacement of truck or money back. Ford refused on both counts. Truck now has 4,721 miles. I'm VERY disappointed with Ford. I'm sorry I traded in a wonderful 1995 F150 with no problems.

I, myself, worked for a Ford tractor dealership & am familiar with problems and how to solve them. Ford is taking entirely too long to come up with a fix because now I know there are several trucks in our local area with the same problem & their owners are receiving the same run-around.

I'd be willing to share info with others, or brainstorm. Please email me & we can exchange phone numbers then.

What's next, a class-action lawsuit or news blitz before Ford gets serious and talks to us, not at us, about the problem?
RMN email: mtrumbull@ameritech.net
----------------------------
Mar 14, 2000 Update:
After being without my truck for weeks at a time, making repeated trips to the dealer 25 miles away, going without my truck and no vehicle replaced by dealer while it was in their shop, I gave up! I'm too old to put up with the stress and run-around.

I went to another dealer where I knew the service manager. He informed me that Ford Engineers still had no clue about a fix. So, I traded my new '99 in on a 2000, but with a 6 ft. bed instead of the 8 ft. I was given the full price I'd paid for the trade in, plus had to come up with another $4,000.00.
NO MORE VIBRATIONS! At least not thus far.
Bob

[This message has been edited by RMN (edited 03-14-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000, 10:49 PM
RMN

Had a similar problem with my 2000 which vibrated at about 45 MPH. Ford put an additional support on my exaust system and the problem went away. They told me that some trucks at that speed cause the pipe to bounce up and down making the truck feel like it had a tire out of balance

Old 01-19-2000, 09:56 AM
Lightbulb

I had a '93 Toyota whose vibration Toyota and I fought over for months. Don't think Ford is any different from any other mass-production manufacturer. They ain't. Anyway, Toyota replaced the driveshaft and tires, which didn't do a bit of good. They refused to change the wheels themselves (stamped steel). So I started rotating the spare in place of each wheel, one by one, to see if it would make a difference. Sure as you're born, there was a bad wheel. I brought it back to Toyota and they magnanimously replaced it. How big of them!
Good luck!

Old 01-19-2000, 06:03 PM
I get a vibration that I can feel in through the gas pedal, but I get it at 90mph. No steering wheel shake or body shake, just a vibration in the pedal.
It is smouth at all other speeds.

Old 01-19-2000, 07:42 PM
Talking

DonC:
I get the same gas pedal vibration, or buzz. It happens around 65 mph/1700-1800 RPM. Anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/

Old 01-19-2000, 09:13 PM
RMN,
Fill out the DSB form and go before the DSB (Dispute Settlement Board)board. It's your final step in the process where they have tried and failed to fix it three times. Usually the dealer and the FSE who can to look at it are limited by what "Ford" says is wrong.

Old 01-20-2000, 01:54 AM
RMN, check with your State Government. I believe most states have some kind of lemon law where the manufacturer/dealer has to buy back the truck or replace it with a new one if they can't fix it after a set number of tries.

Old 01-20-2000, 04:37 PM
RMN, have you looked into your state lemon law, I see you bought it in Ohio. Do a search on state lemon laws and find out what Ohios laws are.
I did one for my daughter, back in May, for TN and the url had each state listed,most states had a 30 day in shop law, GO for it...
GOOD LUCK...Ford sure isn't making many friends with their customers, Fords regionial reps are a JOKE, good example the clown out off Atlanta..

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals, K&N Filter
Super White Headlamps

Old 01-26-2000, 01:15 PM
Selva1, DonC,
I've got similar problems.
The drivetrain resonates at 1650 +/- 50 rpm. I can only assume Engine or driveshaft. The dealership replaced the exhaust system under warranty(probably because they wanted to get their money from Ford.). The resonance is still there, but I'd rather wait until somone else finds out what it is before I spend too much time waiting while driving a crappy rental.

1999 F150 Lariat. ORP, Towing, GVWR 6500# packages, 17" tires w/ 3.73 LS diff, K&N filter, 5.4L V8.

Old 01-26-2000, 01:33 PM
I, too, have a similar problem. Happens around 1600-1650 RPM when everything is warmed up. Doesn't happen when it's cold. I had the dealer check it out and was told "could not duplicate". They did not drive it long enough to let it warm up. When I'm on the highway I know when I'm going 65 MPH without looking at the spedo just by the vibration. When I go in to have the noisy, piston-slappin' engine replaced I'll have them check it out again.

Old 02-15-2000, 02:49 PM
I had a drive train vibration which was like a low frequency BOOOOOMing noise that started at 62MPH. It got worse and started at 55 to 75 MPH. Dealer changed drive shaft from a double cardon joint to single. (one universal joint on each end instead of two at the tranny end.) It also required the installation of a vibration damper which gets bolted to the rear axle. It got rid of 90% of it. It didn't start doing this till 7K miles.---Hope this helps--Bob

------------------
99 EB Expedition 5.4L with all the perks,3.73 LS,Heated Mirrors and Seats. Everything but sun-roof. Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 02-21-2000, 06:14 AM
Unhappy

Ditto here , guys! 60-65mph=vibration,appears some vibration (less) at city speeds,about 800 miles on my 2000 S/C 4.6L auto 4x2. Dealer has already changed driveshaft & indexed , also pinion gear & seal...no good (same). Going back for visit #2,hopefully there's a fix on the horizon. **Anyone have any idea of any long-term problems because of this? Like tranny damage etc. ? Already had pinion gear changed!! ** Thanks!!

Old 02-21-2000, 10:54 AM
I might have a fix I have a 99 f150 and it did the same thing and they tryed to fix it and then they told me to bring it in when it gets worse then some jack a$$ ran me off the road and I knocked the truck out of alinement. I had to have some wart. work to be done and I told them to aline it and then I recived a call that the tires were out of round with only 12k on them and good year would not replace them so ford did and then all of the shakes went away. ford put all 4 tires on. might be a fix...

------------------
1999 F150 Bright Red Extended Cab 4x4 Off Road, With Gray Interior, 5.4L, 3.73 Gears,

Add On's for now!
Access Tunnel Cover
Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Stainless Steel Rocker Pannels
Flowmaster Exhaust
Lund Bug Guard
GTS Head Light Covers
K&N Air Filter W/ Air Box Mod
Putco Bed Rails
Red Stering Wheel Cover
Pionneer CD Deck

Wish List: F1 Ram Air Hood, Tinted Side Windows, Brushguard, Wiper Crawl, Visor, Lift W/ 34" M/T Tires, ECT,ECT...

Old 02-21-2000, 05:22 PM
Just traded my 97 F150 for a 00 Expedition. Vibration starts at about 70-75. I have the 3:31 gears so I get about 10 miles per hour more before the vibration starts. Figured it was the tires or wheels as I have had the same problem in new Fords before. I'm putting on new wheels in the next couple of weeks, let you all know if it makes a difference.

Old 02-21-2000, 10:10 PM
Lightbulb

RMN: Have your dealer check service bulletin #99-6242 and 99-13125 which deal with driveline vibration. Above all, keep your cool and be persistant, don't drag out the lawyers yet, it just pis@es them off and costs you money for legals to fight the battle because they won't talk to you without one. just my .002 again....j.b.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain vibration in 99 Ford 150