Lightning

Rattling Catalytic Converter HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling Catalytic Converter HELP!!!

I have a really loud annoying rattle under the truck. I did some investigating and it seems like the rattle is eminating from the driver's side catalytic converter. It seems like the inner part of the cat is vibrating and hitting the outer casing. I do have a Bassani BX Catback system installed that is about a year old. The rattle is extremely bad on cold mornings and I always get looks. Have any of yall experienced this problem? HELP!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I had this problem with 3 sets of MAGNAFLOW high flow cats. Ended up throwing them out and bought a different kind. The new ones have been on for 2 years now with no problems. Most exhaust company's used a kind of heat resistant packing material to hold the catalyst (honeycomb) in the CAT shell. With some company's, the material breaks down over time and the catalyst becomes loose and starts to rattle around. Eventually the catalyst will get stuck towards the outgoing part of the cat and you will loose massive power due to the clogged cat. That's what happened to me several times. Some have drilled a small hole through the cat shell into the catalyst and inserted a screw on both sides to hold the catalyst still. I would just buy a new cat.

Last edited by Neal; 02-21-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... I had this problem with 3 sets of MAGNAFLOW high flow cats. Ended up throwing them out and bought a different kind. The new ones have been on for 2 years now with no problems. I would just buy a new cat.
I agree just get some new cats

Neal those are not that bad

Here is what C16 does to cats

Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Don's Bolt
Here is what C16 does to cats
Suuuuuuure the C16 did that Don...uh huh.

--Dan

Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
My passenger side Dynatech high flow looked exactly like Don's. Guts disentegrated while it was still on the truck. Hey..at least the rattle went away.

As mentioned, you need new cat(s).

Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I had the same thing happen with my magnaflows. One went bad and started rattling, it was replaced then one year later the new one started rattling again. This last time I drove it for a couple of weeks before I took it in and by that time all the guts were blown out. problem solved...

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Converter rattle

Blk02:
I had a rattle from both of my cats. It turned out to be the heat shields, the small welds holding them to the converter break and the shields rattle like all get out. I took a large clothes dryer hose clamp and put it around the cat... rattle stopped, problem solved. I would check the $3.00 fix before you invest in a new cat system.

Quick Reply: Rattling Catalytic Converter HELP!!!