Driver Side PWR Window Problem on my 98 F150

Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Driver Side PWR Window Problem on my 98 F150

I have a 98 F150 4x4 Ext Cab with a 5.4L Engine. I've had a recent problem with my Drivers Side window. Sometimes, when I press the switch to roll the window down it dosen't do anything. If I drive down the road or if I'm just sitting in my driveway sometimes it will roll down by itself!! I don't know what can cause this and why its only the driver's side. The passenger side works fine. I don't think it's the switch because like I said before, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. But even if it acts like the switch isn't working it will still roll down by itself!!! Someone please GIVE ME THE ANSWER!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the '98s had the one touch down function, right ?

When the window won't go down, do you hear clicking in the dash, about the area of the fuse panel ?
When the window rolls itself down, is it all the way down, or only part way ?

Have you ever had the door panel off ( installation of signal mirrors, replacing mirror head, speakers, etc ) ?

Have you done any electrical work in the Driver's side kick panel, or around the fuse panel ?

Does the window roll itself down when sitting still/empty ( i.e. parked in the driveway ) ?

The thought being that there is cracked / frayed insulation on the wiring from the A-pillar to the Door, or inside the door, that is making contact, and causing the window to roll down.
No work could be a case of the wires are not making contact, and OTD is being activate by the bare wire making contact, and the GEM being signaled that the OTD function has been requested.

Check the harness between door and the A-pillar, and from where the harness enters the door to the switch.

If the harness from the switch to the driver's side kick panel check out good, then it would be time to check the OTD relay in the dash.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-29-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I have never had the door panel off. It just started this recently. When the switch actually works (the window rolls up and down) I hear the Clicking sound from the fuse panel. When it acts like the switch is dead I don't hear anything. Sometimes it rolls down by itself all the way but it also only goes down maybe 1/4 of the way and sometimes 1/2 at a time. The truck has to be Running or the Key on for this to happen. It won't do that with the key off. The window will roll up no matter what happens. If it goes down 1/2 the way by itself and I try to put it all the way down with the switch and it dosen't work, it will go up every time.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Cool ??????

I have the same problem......r&r switch, relays under dash and hood......up always works and not the motor cause jumped out reverse polarity and use the up on the switch and motor goes down........saw something about faulty circuit breaker, will check that next......already checked wiring.......

Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Had the same problem on my '98 F150 4x4 - driver side power window would not go down, heard (and felt) clicking on Relay 4 (in the fuse box). Changed the relay, nothing.

After reading many posts on this subject on this forum, I removed the door panel and removed the speaker to access the drive motor. According to one post, a guy removed the drive motor, wacked it on his tire a couple of time, put it back in, and it worked. Well, there's enough room in the door to give the drive motor a fair wack with a box end wrench. So, while holding the window button in the 'down' position, I gave the drive motor a few good wacks with the wrench - bada bing, the window started working. I really couldn't believe it - hitting something to make it work. Before putting the door panel back on, I ran the window up and down about 20 times. Put the door panel back on, window is still working.

I'm convinced the window will stop working again at some point (I hope I'm wrong), but it's working for now...

Good Luck!!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your drivers window will go up but not down, maybe it will go down occasionally when starting the car, or after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, you have a defective GEM module. It controls the Auto-down function and goes bad quite frequently. It's very expensive and labor intensive to replace. If you want your window to go down without spending tons of time and money and aren't worried about the auto-down feature, bypass the GEM module's window control using these instructions.

I wrote up a little diagram to help. This will bypass the GEM module and allow your windows to roll down.

Last edited by heathric; 08-02-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Image size way too friggin large
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Awesome Post

This post saved me much money. It was perfectly explained with great schematics and instructions. WINDOW WORKS GREAT !!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Works

This is one trick that worked out great. Thanks for saving me a ton of extra money and time.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by heathric
If your drivers window will go up but not down, maybe it will go down occasionally when starting the car, or after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, you have a defective GEM module. It controls the Auto-down function and goes bad quite frequently. It's very expensive and labor intensive to replace. If you want your window to go down without spending tons of time and money and aren't worried about the auto-down feature, bypass the GEM module's window control using these instructions.

I wrote up a little diagram to help. This will bypass the GEM module and allow your windows to roll down.
Thank you... this post saved me hundreds of dollars!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Unable to download instructions

Hi all,
I'm unable to download the bypass of the GEM module instructions, can somebody email me the instructions at biroairo5555@hotmail.com
or repost the instructions.
Thank you in advance.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Unable to download

I'm unable to download as well. I have been trying things to fix this issue for months! I feel like I am! Can someone email it to me or tell me how to get it? My email is nsurenu@bellsouth.net.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Old 03-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Window help

I have a 98 expedition, the drivers side window will randomly go down all by its self. I can put the window up but can't put the window down. I have replaced the whole window motor, relay, and master control swith, and it still will randomly go done by its self. Any ideas on how to fix it

Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
I replaced motor after not being able to power window down. The window went up nicely, but not down. Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes. Bam, works fine.

The old motor was erratic, before I replaced it. It died in the up position. Had same symptoms as others have mentioned. Relay clicking, etc.

Also, had an odd problem of the doors locking and unlocking continuously. Cleaned the switch to fix that problem.

Last edited by mmusgrovetn; 03-26-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:49 AM
My drivers side window is doing this same thing. How do I bypass the GEM ? I cannot see the instructions you posted . Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Side PWR Window Problem on my 98 F150