Bleeding Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding Slave Cylinder

I just replaced the clutch slave on my 2003 F-150 4.2L 5-speed.
I have tried bleeding it the same way i would bleed hydraulic brakes, but with no luck. I even tried freebleeding it, but it started coming out of the reservoir. I don't know if there is a certian way to bleed a hydraulic clutch, cause i never had to mess with one before, or if it could be that i just suck that bad. But if someone knows how to do it, it would help me a whole lot.
Sergeant Cook

Old 12-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcook009
I just replaced the clutch slave on my 2003 F-150 4.2L 5-speed.
I have tried bleeding it the same way i would bleed hydraulic brakes, but with no luck. I even tried freebleeding it, but it started coming out of the reservoir.
Sergeant Cook
I'm not sure what you meant exactly by the last sentence above, but. I found the best way to bleed a clutch slave cylinder is to simply gravity bleed it. Fill the clutch master cylinder, open the slave clinder bleed valve and let the fluid run out. leave the top off the master cylinder so you don't create a vacuum lock and don't let the master cylinder go empty. After you feel all the air is out close the slave bleed valve, top up the master cylinder, replace the top and you should be done. Hope this works for you.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Well thats what i meant by freebleeding it. When i opened the valve, the fluid started overflowing from the reservior. Dont know if it is because the valve is higher up than the inlet, but it did just the opposite of what is was supossed to do. Nothing is a simple task with vehicles anymore.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If your feed line is not seated correctly in the slave it will build up pressure in the line and cause the reservoir to overflow. Try pulling on the fitting at the slave and reseating it.

JMC

Old 12-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read the caption.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
??????
If the feed line to the slave is not seated oil will not flow to the slave. see pic.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Lightbulb

Well come to find out when I was filling the reservior, I was actually filling the rubber piece inside, I forget what it's called. So when I removed it and added fluid, behold I got fluid down into my slave. It's amazing how stupid I can be sometimes.

Quick Reply: Bleeding Slave Cylinder