Pre-1997 Models

Radius Arm replacement, lights

Old 12-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radius Arm replacement, lights

My first question is how hard is it to replace a radius arm, is it just the through bolt up front and the nut in back or is there more to it than that. My second question is i had a little offroading "incident" and I went into the "sticks" pretty hard, it bent my radius arm, blew my tire and knocked my belt off. Ever since my dims/daytime running lights have not worked. All I have are brights. When the key is on the brights icon is not on but when I turn the key off the icon comes on. When i turn the dimmers on there are no lights at all. I did lose a lot of coolant out of the overflow tank and it got on my headlight plug, could this short the system? I really need to get this fixed because I'm sure people are getting really mad at my lol.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure about 2WDs, but 4WDs use 2 bolts at the front of the radius arms, & they're SUPER tight. The specs are in this diagram. You also have to pull the lower shock bolt, but there's not much more to getting it out. You might have to pull the axle beam forward OR grind off the rivets at the rear frame bracket #6 to get the arm out, though.

Have you inspected the wiring to the DRL module? It's under the L headlight inside the grille valance. I suspect it got pinched.

Last edited by Steve83; 12-28-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Do you have any pics of the location of this drl module

Old 12-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Front LH side of lower radiator support.
It has a black 7-wire connector on the 96 trucks, yours should be similar.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Upon further inspection, i found the dimmer filament on both of the bulbs was broken. I am assuming this was from coolant shorting it or impact. I'm going to buy some cheap bulbs first and see if they work or short out.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Impact. Coolant won't affect it noticeably for at least a few months. Just rinse it all thoroughly with water, then apply some silicone grease to the connector terminals.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 AM
well, I replaced the bulbs and now it works just fine, also the radius arm did not bend, but my tie rod adjusting sleeves are loose enough to turn by hand. I'm just going to align it by eye the best I can until I can get it to a shop because right now the steering wheel is turned way right when I'm going strait

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radius Arm replacement, lights