5.4 idler pulley = common problem?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5.4 idler pulley = common problem?

Wondering before I go pulling things apart if the idler pully on the 5.4 is a common failure piece. Clicking/grinding noise seems to be coming from there. A shot of machine oil seemed to help, but could have been coincidence/imagination. Noise disappeared after returning from driving for ~20 minutes (mmmmmm.... pizza!), but returned the next morning.

Anybody?

Thanks.

Andy

EDIT: Also wondering of there's a preference in belts: Gates vs. Gatorback

Last edited by OhioLariat; 12-24-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 with the 5.4 (I know it's a different engine than yours) but let me know if the replacement fixes the noise because I think my problem may be of the same nature. Also ask your nearest dealership/service department about a Cam Phaser; I'm not sure how much different than mine your engine is but the Cam Phaser (ticking) is a common issue with the 3V 5.4.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 PM
My truck is an 04 5.4 3v and anytime it sits for a while and there is moisture out whether it be rain or a heavy dew it squeals for about 5 mins..... very annoying but haven't looked into it yet.... maybe belt issue also????

Old 12-24-2006, 11:03 PM
An idler pulley going bad is a common issue on any engine that uses a serpentine belt system. This pulley has a tough job to do and is under alot of pressure. It keeps the proper tension on the belt so it tracks properly around the other components. In other words it's nothing to be concerned about, it's perfectly normal to need to replace it once in awhile.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... Which idler pulley are you talking about? Some 5.4's came withy one on the left and right side of the timing chain cover :

The one on the right in the above pic or on the driver's side of the truck can be removed. It's useless. The one on the left is probably the one your speaking of. Just simply remove the center bolt from it and it will pull right off the timing chain cover. You can lift up the dust seals very carefully with a eyeglass screwdriver and regrease the bearing and simply snap the dust seals back in. Or go to your local bearing supplier and buy a new bearing for like $3.00. I suggest to go with a high speed bearing if your going to replace it. That's what I did. Less drag and will free up some H.P. Not much but mabey 1-2H.P. I've heard of LIGHTNING guys gaining up to 5-7H.P just by changing all their idler pulley bearing to high speed bearings.

Last edited by Neal; 12-24-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... Which idler pulley are you talking about? Some 5.4's came withy one on the left and right side of the timing chain cover :

The one on the right in the above pic or on the driver's side of the truck can be removed. It's useless. The one on the left is probably the one your speaking of. Just simply remove the center bolt from it and it will pull right off the timing chain cover. You can lift up the dust seals very carefully with a eyeglass screwdriver and regrease the bearing and simply snap the dust seals back in. Or go to your local bearing supplier and buy a new bearing for like $3.00. I suggest to go with a high speed bearing if your going to replace it. That's what I did. Less drag and will free up some H.P. Not much but mabey 1-2H.P. I've heard of LIGHTNING guys gaining up to 5-7H.P just by changing all their idler pulley bearing to high speed bearings.
I use ceramic bearings personally. They are lower friction than even high-speeds, and what's more, they last 3-5x longer. A little fringe benenfit (very fringe), they weight less, quite a bit less.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... Well my high speeds are going on 6 years on this truck with no problems. And for $3.00(CAN) a hell of a lot cheaper than CERAMIC bearings. At least around here.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:59 AM
NAPA Bearing Part # 6203-2RSJ

Old 12-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys! Never would have considered just replacing the bearings. If I can, it will save ~$15-$20.

I'll give it a look-see.

Any favorite belt out there? I suppose I can't go wrong either way with Gates ot Goodyear.

... and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :santa:

Andy

Old 12-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Bearings are around $10, Belt favorite,,well

Name:  P1080338.jpg
Views: 6814
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  P1080345.jpg
Views: 6928
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 12-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dbl G
Bearings are around $10, Belt favorite,,well
Funny guy.

Andy

Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by rdogg450
My truck is an 04 5.4 3v and anytime it sits for a while and there is moisture out whether it be rain or a heavy dew it squeals for about 5 mins..... very annoying but haven't looked into it yet.... maybe belt issue also????
I had the exact problem on my 04 5.4. The belt looked perfect but I went ahead and changed it anyway. Not a noise since!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by rdogg450
Had the same exact problem with mine but she's an 03 4.6. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.. I filmed it with my Video Camera and showed them.. they still didn't fix a thing. (-.-)

About 6 months ago it finally went with 45-50k on the clock. The tensioner pulley was my problem, but I replaced both the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley since I was there.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 PM

Turned out to be the tensioner pulley, but the good thing is they both took the same bearing! Had to clearance the bracket just a smidgen (new bearing sitting a few thousandths different than the old?) but all went well.

Noise gone, belt replaced...... but then noticed power steering fluid dripping (Must have bumped the hose for the last time, and after 210K miles and 7 years it was time for it to go.) So off comes the new belt to avoid contamination, R&R the hose, refill the PS reservoir, then back on with the belt, and now no more problems. (Quick! Where's some wood?)

Andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 idler pulley = common problem?