Hood wont open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood wont open!!!

Hey guys I have a 99 F150 with the 5.4 and my hood all of a sudden wont open, I have never had a problem with this before but because my #6 cylinder is misfiring I need to change the plugs first but I cant get in the engine compartment... I almost broke the bracket with the hood release latch inside... Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Sean

Old 10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
might try to have someone push down on the hood at the same time as your pulling the release. otherwise i'm not sure what to say. that has never happened to me either on an vehicle i've every owned. good luck

Old 10-17-2006, 02:50 PM
I had the exact same problem, now its not the cable or dash switches fault, the problem is your latch that hooks onto the hood is bent/needs lubricated, $20.00 at the dealer bought & installed me a brand new funtioning one, this happens when your hood gets slammed hard to close, which I never do, but to solve your problem,

take a standard 1/4" flat head driver and stick it threw your grill and try to push the hatch off of the hood hook, thats what I did, next time you get it popped, spray with WD-40 or 3 in 1 oil or something and take a 1ft mini level and check if its level, if not, slowly try bending it back, if it has rust, yank it & get a new one in is your best bet

Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Ok, if my memory serves me correctly, once the hood is popped and you go to open it the latch has to be pushed up right?? causing the hook to be on the left hand side of the small bar or whatever the hook attaches to right?? I tried to see where I could get the screw driver inside the grill itself to get to the hook and i cant see it.. are you speaking of going under the hood and above the grill??? Thanks alot for your help

Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by OneFastGSXR
Hey guys I have a 99 F150 with the 5.4 and my hood all of a sudden wont open, I have never had a problem with this before but because my #6 cylinder is misfiring I need to change the plugs first but I cant get in the engine compartment... I almost broke the bracket with the hood release latch inside... Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Sean

Dude have another dude pull on the latch inside the cab and drop the peoples elbow on the hood works on those things like chebbys.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Ok, if my memory serves me correctly, once the hood is popped and you go to open it the latch has to be pushed up right?? causing the hook to be on the left hand side of the small bar or whatever the hook attaches to right?? I tried to see where I could get the screw driver inside the grill itself to get to the hook and i cant see it.. are you speaking of going under the hood and above the grill??? Thanks alot for your help
Well wait, does your hood even pop a little? mine did, so thats how I was able to stick the screwdriver back behind the hook lever, mine was rusted out so when my hood wouldn't even pop up a little, But I forced it open, got on a step ladder, my fingers under the crack of the hood, did a 1, 2, 3 & forced it open and it popped right up a little, then i took the flathead and pushed over the little secure latch behind the hood hold down hook, once I got past that, I was able to push the hook moving lever to the left and raise the hood. I only had to do that a couple of times,

But if your hood wont budge, then I'd say you might need to force it up, careful with your fingers though, But as I said before once you get it popped, lubicate it good, mess with it a little too like lay the hood down as if it was popped ( hook holding it down but not shut ) and giggle the latch assembly around. Hope I helped you out a little.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
I'd say you might need giggle the latch assembly around. Hope I helped you out a little.
Jiggle? I think i called you out on this last time you posted about your hood

Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM
no, it wont pop even the slightest bit... I will try pushing up on the hood while someone is pulling the latch, if that doesnt work i will try the elbows!! I hope I dont end up having to take this thing to the dealership! Any other imput would be helpful so I can avoid paying out of my *** to open my hood! Thanks for everything so far

Old 11-12-2006, 11:22 PM

Thanks
Sean
HEY DUDE HAVE YOU TRIED THE PEOPLES ELBOW?

Quick Reply: Hood wont open!!!