Pre-1997 Models

Tranny Takes Long Time To Shift Into Next Gear

Old 11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Takes Long Time To Shift Into Next Gear

help someone!!! I just purchased a 95 f150 4X 5.0. 151,000 miles, new motor with 30,000 on it. The Truck i always wanted. Well The only problem is.. My trans feels like it has to wind out too long to shift gears. From 1 st to 2nd, it takes a heavy foot to make the truck shift shift smooth, and it shifts at about 3800rpm, from 2nd and 3rd is what really bothers me. I almost have to punch it to 60mph or more to get enough speed to shift, again up to 3800rpm it takes to shift. If i dont punch it the rpm will drop to about 2100 when i let off the gas, and when i push the gas it will jump to about 3200. It feels like when you drive a manual trans and u keep it in a lower gear and go fast then let off and go again. Same feeling. There isnt any jerking or anything but it really bugs me. I feel like im burning up too much gas and also my trans. I think the guy said they had put a new cam shaft in it when i bought it , could that be the problem? Either way how would i fix it. Do i have to change my shift points or am i screwed. I tried getting the fluids changed and the filter. Got the trans fluid changed with mercon V and also the differentials topped off. If anyone has the right answer to my problem, please help. Im starting to be a very concerned ford owner. Thankyou

Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
No, a new camshaft will not affect how the transmission shifts.

I might be confusing this with something else, but chances are it has the E4OD trans(check the sticker on the driver's side door, get the code and compare it to the list in the Transmissions page to be sure). If I remember right there was an issue with some E4OD's that were improperly calibrated resulting in late shifts, and that a Ford dealer would re-program it properly. Vacuum autos you could do this yourself to some extent and this problem was almost always caused by a leaking vac line, but you're got an electronic "E"4OD tranny so there's not a whole lot you can do.

Check the ATF for level and color. If it's low, or the fluid smells/looks "burned" (espically if the fluid was recently changed) there's probably a problem with the transmission itself.

Even if the check engine light isn't on, there may be codes stored. Most major auto stores(advance, autozone, ect) will do this for free. Since you still have OBD1 you can do it yourself with a paper clip and a pen/paper, but it's a lot easier to just get a computer to tell you the code outright.

Otherwise really all you can do is take it to the dealer and hope for the best. Trans problems, espically automatics, scare off even experienced owners.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
I took advice from the guy at pepboys and bought a decoder and a haynes service manual for a 95 f150 4x4 5.0. The great thing is that the decoder actually tells you codes of whats wrong. Unfortunately i had to settle for the base model (the one with the flashing red light) instead of a digital screen. I tried getting a digital one but my truck just misses it by 1 year . It does up to 96 well i have a 95 so either spend 300 bux on a digital one or spend thirty and count beeps. So i counted the beeps and it looks like i have a code #12 . when i look up 12 in my code book, it says "system cannot raise engine speed above normal idle". What the heck does that mean? I spent a few hours lookin thru my hayes manual but that thing is almost as good as a childrens book, hardly has anything i could use in it the index is terriable. Will someone please help me get the answers to my problem, your knowledge will be greatly appreciated. and yeah the check engine light flashes on and off, like its on for about 2 min and goes off for a min then repetes itself

Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
MrKool,

I also have the E4OD, but mine is working smoothly. (at the moment)
It was causing me fits tho, such as bucking back and forth, long shifts etc.....
What fixed all that was thoroughly cleaning the EGR valve assembly. Mine was completely blocked up! Do a search on here on how to do it, its easy and well worth it.

You also said you changed the tranny with Mercon V !?!? Thats a HUGE mistake with our transmission! I dont know if the shop did it, or you did it, but the friction modifiers in Mercon V will eat the tranny up! You need to flush that crap out and fill with straight Mercon. If you dont beleive me, go ask the guys in the tranny forum.

After you flush the tranny, and add only Mercon, try cleaning the EGR.

-Glade

Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for your posts i really appreciate it. Ill try to do those things right away. Can you believe i called 2 ford dealerships and they told me to use mercon V. He said that the mercon V was like the upgrade to mercon, like the better one that should be used. Being that i just got the truck i dont know so i figure who better to ask than a ford tech. No wonder why there is a site like this, you cant even trust the certified. I just hope it works out, will my code scanner pick up on the valve you say that would be clogged? also, after everything with your trans, its running strong now correct? no rebuild?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 PM
After i cleaned up the EGR, TPS(throttle position sensor), and IAC(idle air control), the truck runs about 1,000% better! It also helps out with gas mileage too! I'm sure your EGR is probably clogged up good with that many miles, probably have a gummed up TPS and IAC also.

Tip for cleaning the EGR port tube....go to Walmart and get a shotgun cleaning kit for $8. The wire tube brushes work perfect!

Do a search for cleaning all those (IAC, EGR, TPS) and i bet your truck will run MUCH better.

By the way, the tranny hasnt glitched since then, and I did all the cleaning about 6 months ago.

-Glade

Old 11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Actually, Ford will no longer be making mercon 3 and issued a statement that when supplies run out, to use the mercon 5 on any transmission that calls for merc 3. Just some info from a Ford tech.

Robbie

Old 11-09-2006, 08:11 PM
i thought there was no such thing as mercon 3. only mercon or mercon 5. im no tech but i know that.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Its fixed!!!!!!!!!!

It was the TPS. I unhooked it and my truck was shifting great!!!!!! The only thing is it doesnt have the same hp as it did before so i bought a new sensor and i am putting it in first thing tomorrow!!

I appreciate all of your help you all have saved me tons of money!
Can you believe i called the Ford dealership in south jersey and they said bring it in, it probly needs a new transmission. I asked how much he said $5,000. I told him to go f him self and i told them how much of a crook he was. Then i hung up on him. That crap isnt right. Most people wouldnt attempt to pull sensors off or whatever you are doing to fix your problem because they are scared. Luckely we have some ***** and that there is a place where we can come to to get the right info so we can get it done. Thanks again Mrkool

Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 PM
you have to adjust the TPS, so do a search on how to do that too.
i have a similar problem with my bronco e40d, cleaned the TPS and IAC. going to try and clean the EGR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Takes Long Time To Shift Into Next Gear