Parking Brake Tension Adjustment

Old 01-27-2000, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parking Brake Tension Adjustment

Does anyone know how to adjust the parking brake cable tension. I use the parking brake every day to shift my transmission into gear (I park on a slight hill), but lately it feels as if the cable tension is too loose.
Any ideas.

Old 01-28-2000, 12:09 AM
Do you have rear discs or drums? I think the drums auto adjust as the shoes wear down. I don't know about rear discs

Old 01-28-2000, 08:15 PM
Cool

First, have the rear brakes "properly" adjusted. Then if the e-brake pedal is too low, you can crank up the tension on the cable. If you just crank the cable, the rear shoes will wear improperly. Most likely your rear shoes just need a little adjusting. You should have them cleaned and adjusted every 6,000 miles.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 01-29-2000, 08:20 PM
Two months ago I had the rear shoes replaced,since then the parking brake tension has been weak. I thought new shoes would increase the Pb tension, however just the opposite occured.I guess I will adjust the brake shoes and see if this makes a difference.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I have the same question--I park on a hill and use the e-brake everyday. Lately , when I set the e-brake the truck will roll just enough to be stopped by the transmisson. The truck will not actually roll a significant distance--if I leave it in neutral, set the brake, then shift into park I am fine. I'd like to fix the problem though. The only difference is I have rear discs. Does anyone know how to adjust the e-brake?

Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 AM
with rear disc you have to adjust them by removing the rear rotors and turning the star wheel. i dont beleive they added the little rubber plug for adjusting until the 04 model year. and these newer trucks dont have adjustable cables like the 96 and older did if the cables stretch you need new cables.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Bentwrench
with rear disc you have to adjust them by removing the rear rotors and turning the star wheel. i dont beleive they added the little rubber plug for adjusting until the 04 model year. and these newer trucks dont have adjustable cables like the 96 and older did if the cables stretch you need new cables.
My '00 has the plugs.... In fact, now that I think about it, I've never seen an Explorer or F-150 with drums or discs that didn't have the plug in the backing plate.

-Joe

Old 08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
ill have to check the F-150 when i get the chance but the 02 and newer explorers have a metal disc that can be punched out to access the parking brake adjuster, but no rubber plug to fill the hole afterwards.

on the F-150s im ussually able to pull the rear rotors off by just prying the parking brake actuator back alittle.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
My wife's 98 Expy has the problem where you have to press the parking brake almost all the way to the floor to get it to hold. I didn't know the disc rear brakes had the star wheel adjuster, I assumed I just needed new pads. I'll take a look at the truck later tonight and see if it has an adjustment hole like drum brake vehicles.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Just a minor update - my 98 Expy with rear disc brakes has the parking brake adjustment hole. I'll probably play with it this weekend.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Is the e-brake supposed to be self adjusting? I am talking specifically about the e-brake on a 01 F150 4x4 with 4 wheel disc brakes. The e-brake is a drum type setup inside the rotor. I pulled everything apart and the adjuster on each side was stripped out completely. This is not by design is it?

Old 10-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Ford Explorer Parking Brake Adjustment

Originally Posted by Mr_Bentwrench
ill have to check the F-150 when i get the chance but the 02 and newer explorers have a metal disc that can be punched out to access the parking brake adjuster, but no rubber plug to fill the hole afterwards.

on the F-150s im ussually able to pull the rear rotors off by just prying the parking brake actuator back alittle.
I have this problem, no hole or plug. I do see a circle where it looks like they intended it to have a whole. Have you punched one of these out before? How do I "Punch" out this little circular disc so I can adjust mine?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Marchese

Old 10-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None of the e-brakes are self adjusting, and it depends on the year of vehicle on how they are adjusted. Older ones are done by adjusting the cable. 04 up have star adjusters just like disk brakes, except not self adjusting.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:40 AM
I just did rear brakes and rotors on my 98 Expy last weekend. The parking brake went to the floor and didn't hold at all. When I took the old rotors off I founf the lining material had separated from the parking brake shoes and just fell to the floor. I put new parking brake shoes on and free'd up the adjusters (siezed from brake dust and non-use), applied a light coat on never-sieze to the threads and the parking brake works as it should now. I have the access hole and rubber plug on the backing plate.
On another note, if the axle seals are leaking and gear oil gets on the shoes, the parking brake won't work either.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by micromack
I have this problem, no hole or plug. I do see a circle where it looks like they intended it to have a whole. How do I "Punch" out this little circular disc so I can adjust mine?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Marchese
I don't have a lot of experience with anything newer than 98, but on all the vehicles I've ever seen, the adjuster access hole is oval, not round.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Tension Adjustment