Ford AM/FM Cassete/CD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford AM/FM Cassete/CD

Hi All,

Big question, will a radio from a 1999 4 door Explorer, Ford Part # XL2F-18C868-CA, work in a 1999 F-150? There is an extra connector on the back of the radio that the truck has no harness for. Plugged in the radio and nothing, no lights, no sound, dead!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT SC 4X4 5.4L ( 2000 )
9.75 inch 3.55 open rear
Air Box Mods and K&N filter
P265/75R16 Bridgestone Dueller H/T
Black DeeZee Running Boards
Vent Shades
SportMaster Tonneau Cover
I want an AUBURN GEAR Limited Slip Rear Differential!

Old 01-04-2000, 01:16 AM
Mike,

I would first check the harness from the truck and make sure it is hot. Is there another one lying around back there? Look closely. Ford has a pseudo amp they like to use. [Pre-Amp] I am not familiar with your setup up. However, the extra conector is used for one of two things. (AMP or CD Changer) I think!?

Good Luck,
Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Electric Sunroof, Super White Headlights.
Future Mods : White face gauge. Supercharger.

Sound System:
Sony ES CDX-C90 Head Unit, Sony ES CDX-91 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP-210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.5 Components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear.

Todd's Domain

Old 01-04-2000, 01:47 AM
Question

The truck has the factory stock AM/FM/Cassette radio, which works, so I know the wiring is ok. I think the radio in question is a Premium Sound AM/FM/Cassette/CD, optional in a SuperDuty. I guess my question is whether a Premium Sound radio will work in a non-Premium Sound truck?

Thanks
Michael

------------------
9.75 inch 3.55 open rear
Vent Shades

Old 01-04-2000, 02:41 AM
Mike,
The "Premium SoundSystem" comes with an amp. You will need that for it to work. Why not go with new head unit? The Ford Premium system is not "Premium". (IMHO) If you swap out for a good head unit you can always build off of it.

Todd

Old 01-04-2000, 02:46 AM
More info on the XL2F-18C868-CA radio. There are three connectors on the back of the radio. Two on the bottom connect to the factory harnesses in the truck already. One connector on the top, little square connector with 8 pins, has no matching harness in the truck, that I can find anyway. Anybody know what this other connector is for?

Are you there Tim A or sycoholic?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

------------------
9.75 inch 3.55 open rear
Vent Shades

Old 01-04-2000, 10:47 AM
Talking

Not only am I here, the radio in question is my part!

The radio from your Explorer is designed to drive a Ford subwoofer. The small connector with 8 pins (only 4 are used) send the signal to the subwoofer amp. If you connect that radio in your F150 (and the wiring is all the same othewise) it will work, but the bass will be lousy because your truck is missing the subwoofer.

FYI, only the 97/98 premium systems have the external amp. The 99/2000 premium radio has the amp internal to the head unit. All 99/2000 radios have the same connector, which is the same as the dual media radio from the Explorer.

If you really want to put the dual media in your truck, you should get the "premium" version, not the Mach version (with subwoofer). Or, you can install the new CD6 radio which lets you play 6 CDs in the head unit with no magazine. There is a discussion about the CD6 radio in this newsgroup.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-04-2000, 07:47 PM
Talking

Hi Tim,

Thanks for answering my call for help, must be cool to work for a Ford subsidiary.

I am returning the -CA radio. It won't even power up, I don't know the history of the unit, it was kind of beat up when I got it.

Is the 1999 Premium sound unit a part number
XL2F-18C868-AB ?

I checked with www.radiosandmore.com and they said that the -AB unit would work in the 1999 F-150, but they were not sure about the -CA unit.

Could you e-mail me a pinout of the -CA and -AB radio connectors so I can check out my truck wiring for any missing wire(s)?

mjvargo60@aol.com

Oh BTW, what color is the display and button illumination on the unit?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards
Michael

------------------
9.75 inch 3.55 open rear
Vent Shades

[This message has been edited by PumperMike (edited 01-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PumperMike (edited 01-05-2000).]

Old 01-06-2000, 09:33 AM
Lightbulb

"Is the 1999 Premium sound unit a part number XL2F-18C868-AB"

Yes it is. The latest part number for the premium dual media radio is YU3F-18C868-AA. The pinout is exactly the same as your current radio. The button/display illumination is also the same (green).

The only difference between the "premium" and the "audiophile" system is the small 8 pin connector for the subwoofer. Everything will work.

By the way, did you know the premium radios in the F150 have speed sensitive volume control? Press and hold the volume **** until you see "Speed Vol 0". Then use the "SEL" arrows to change the setting from 1 to 7. As you increase your vehicle speed, the radio will increase the volume. The higher you set the number, the stronger the effect will be. Give it a try!

Old 01-17-2000, 07:46 PM
Talking

Hi All,

Installed another Ford Dual Media radio over the weekend, this one works great! Color even matches perfectly ( display and button illumination).

Lots of dremeling in the radio hole to get it to fit though, even lost a carbide cutter bit somewhere behind the dash, hope I can find it without having to disassemble the whole dash.

This radio sounds good to me, but then again I am no audiophile, best part is the dash still looks stock!

Best Regards

Michael

------------------
9.75 inch 3.55 open rear
Vent Shades

Old 01-24-2000, 10:54 AM
The AM/FM Cassette/CD head units will not fit in the F-150. The CD tray is located in the top of the head unit which makes the unit full height all the way back. In the F-150 the dash supports occupy this space. The stock F-150 head units are full height in the front and drop off to the rear. Modifications to make the cassette/CD head units work could probably be done.

------------------
Michael
99f150@pickupman.com
mkrieger@mailcity.com
99 F-150 XLT Supercab, 4x2, Bright Red/Harvest Gold, 4.2L, Automatic, 3.55LS, 255/70R16 Goodyears, Captains Chairs, Keyless Entry, CD Changer, Tow Package

Accessories: SuperChip, Donnelly Compass Mirror, Lariat Wheelwell Moldings and Bumper Cap, Ford Splash Guards, Bug Shield, Bed Mat, WeatherTech Deflectors, Mobil1 Synthetic Oil

Modifications: Painted Tailgate Handle, A/C on/off switch

Quick Reply: Ford AM/FM Cassete/CD