Ford Taurus- Theft Light Blinking- Will Turn OVer but won't start

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Taurus- Theft Light Blinking- Will Turn OVer but won't start

I tried starting my car this morning and it would turn over but it wouldn't start. I noticed the theft light was blinking rapidly but would go off after a couple minutes. I tried leaving the key on for 10 minutes but didn't have any luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mick

Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Try a different key,you may have lost the clip out of it or it went bad.Check with a dealer and see what they say could be wrong with it.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by mik102
I tried starting my car this morning and it would turn over but it wouldn't start. I noticed the theft light was blinking rapidly but would go off after a couple minutes. I tried leaving the key on for 10 minutes but didn't have any luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mick
If your theft light is blinking rapidly, your key has lost its programming. You will need to try another key or the vehicle will have to be towed to the dealer and the dealer will have to hook up their scan tool to program the
key(s).

Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. The key does ot contain programming, the PATS system on the Vehicle is where the key code is stored. I am not sure if the Tauras is the same as the F-150s ( 99-03 ) buy the PATS info is stored in the HEC ( the circuit bs behind the gauges ).

If you don't have another key to try, you can always try for a locksmith that does PATS key work. They would have the NGS replacement, for erasing all the keys and reprogramming new ones.

Thing is, if the HEC ( or where ever it is sotred on the Tauras ) programming is fine, but you are having a problem with say the PATS tranciever ( the antenna that "paints" the key to read the code ) then the locksmith is not going to be able to get past the erasing part, just prior to adding in the first 2 keys ( the programming steps after erase all ).

Few questions :

1. Do you have a remote start ?
1.1. If so, what brand, and how is the PATS bypass done ?

2. Have you done any work in the pass comaprtment of the car ?
2.1. i.e. work around the steering column, or under the dash, like stero work ?

3. Do you have at least one other key to try with ?
3.1. Hope you have at least 3 keys, as you need 2 to add a key to the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Taurus- Theft Light Blinking- Will Turn OVer but won't start