reset anti theft dydtem

Old 09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reset anti theft system

I had to pull my instument cluster on my 01 screw today and when i replaced it the truck flashes anti theft and wont start, Is there a way to reset this ? The manual says call the dealer. But that will be my last resort....

Last edited by Mike727; 09-19-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike727
I had to pull my instument cluster on my 01 screw today and when i replaced it the truck flashes anti theft and wont start, Is there a way to reset this ? The manual says call the dealer. But that will be my last resort....

Your only other resort is to locate a locksmith that has the proper equipment.

However, you can run the HEC dealer test to see if you have any DTCs that will point towards your current fault.

Steve

Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The Pats system has a communications link with the PCM that has to be in tacked or the PCM will not let the engine start.
If what you did resulted in the loss of the link or programing then the problem has to be identified first to know what to do about it.
Do the following, turn the key to run and wait a couple minutes and see if pats system decides to blinks a two diget code telling you it has sensed a fault.
Come back and tell us what you see.
If the dash system will access (enter and step thru), you may see a supporting code that pinpoints what the probable cause/remedy will be.
If it's programming, you have no choice but to have the truck towed to a dealer for programing and take your 'two' keys for them to use in the process.
Sorry it's not so simple but these truck are loaded with electronics and programing. One mistake of fault causes a hassle.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey, Blue,

Since when did PATS systems start having flash codes?

Mike,

Make sure you didn't inadvertently disconnect the PATS transciever module in the column and forget to re-connect it. Does the THEFT indicator do anything (proveout) when the key is first turned to ON? Are you getting you normal onceper-two-second flash when the system is in standby?

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-20-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When you say you "pull my instument cluster on my 01 screw today and when i replaced it.." do you mean remove and replace with the same instrument cluster, or did you put a different cluster in ?

The reason I ask, is if you replaced the complete instrument cluster with another, and did not transfer the circuit board off teh back ( containing the HEC ) then you don't have any keys programmed for the truck. If this is the case, you need to find a PATS locksmith with the correct programming gear ( WDS or NGS programming equipment ) to reprogram the keys.

Also like Blue and Steve already pointed out, check what you put back where after the Remove and replace.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I replaced it with a different cluster. How do you change the circiut board and will this effect my mileage.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 PM
The cluster has to contain 'matching' information that the PCM vid program block has so there is a match otherwise the PCM won't allow the engine to start. A simple inhibit function.
This is the passive quality of the system and the average person cannot defeat this 'match' . You fell into it not knowing the cluster just can't be changed out like that.
The dealer can do all the programming.
Steve, I don't know the year the diagnostics started but believe it is used in the cars as far back as 99.
Leaving the ignition on times out the PATS if the lamp is flashing rapidly. Timer action.
Then it will code flash one of a 13,14, 15, or 16.
13 is key code not recieved, key not coded or the wrong key.
14 is partial key code recieved. Some kind of interference.
15 is key not programmed.
16 is the faulty link between the PATS and the PCM vid block.
In this case if the DASH id were missing or corrupted, changed you would see a code 16 from pats, possible code P1639 from the PCM and a Hec code of either 9681 or an A139 depending on where the fault is.
These all point to the same kind of trouble and seen from different points in the associated systems.
A pcm P code of 1639 would be the vid block in the PCM faulty and can't ID the PATS signals.
As a side note, a "partial" vid block corrupt can still result is letting the engine start and drive ok but if the tire size and gear ratio info is corrupted the speedometer won't read correct and may even alter the trans shifting sked a small amount. A code P1639 would be stored and the SES lamp would be lighted..
When you look at this from a larger perspective it make perfect sense.
I...have... first hand experience with it. Got into a corrupted vid block situation twice fooling around with a programmer. Live and learn what not to do is the price of progress.
I have a 17 page PATS programming doc.
It shows 5 different versions of PATS from A to E.
The 99-04 F150 has type C with different versions in the Harley and larger trucks.
Page 14 lists all the Fmoco vehs and what system versions they have up to 04.
Hint for all, this info can be 'dug up' off the internet.
Hope this is useful for all those who have a need to know.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 09-20-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mike727
I replaced it with a different cluster. How do you change the circiut board and will this effect my mileage.

Now if you had said THAT in the first place....the problem would have been pinpointed in about two seconds or less.

Steve

Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Now if you had said THAT in the first place....the problem would have been pinpointed in about two seconds or less.

Steve
Ditto. You cannot just replace the cluster with another one. The dealership needs to upload that parameters from the old one, then download them into the new one. It's not a plug-and-play unit.

From the '01 service manual:
Instrument Cluster
Removal

Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.

Remove the headlamp switch. For additional information, refer to Section 417-01.
Carefully release the four clips and remove the steering column opening cover.

Remove the instrument panel finish panel (044D70).
Remove the bolts.
Remove the instrument panel finish panel.

Remove the instrument cluster (10849).
Remove the bolts.
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the instrument cluster.
If equipped, remove the transmission range indicator.
If equipped, disconnect the boost gauge vacuum line.

Installation

NOTE: Following installation of a new instrument cluster, carry out the Parameter Reset and Key Programming procedure in this section.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

From that section,
Parameter Reset and Key Programming

NOTE: The instrument cluster parameters must be reset upon installation of a new instrument cluster.

NOTE: Both passive anti-theft system (PATS) keys are needed to carry out this procedure.

To reset the instrument cluster parameters and program the keys, complete the following procedure:

Connect the diagnostic tool.
Select the instrument cluster.
Select ENTER SECURITY ACCESS. Wait 10 minutes for security access to be granted.
Select PARAMETER RESET.
Disconnect the diagnostic tool.
Place the first PATS key in the OFF position.
Place the key in the ON position.
Remove the key.
Place the second PATS key in the ON position.
Place the key in the OFF position (the programming sequence is complete).
NOTE: If the vehicle fails to start following completion of the parameter reset and key programming sequence, clear the keep alive memory (KAM) by disconnecting the battery for five minutes. For additional information about the battery disconnect procedure, refer to Section 414-00.
More to follow...

Old 09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't speak to any personal experience, but I've never heard of the cluster flashing an LFC for the PATS system. The cluster can, in dealer test mode, display the appropriate DTCs for the system. (Sorry for the lack of formatting... charts don't copy and paste well... first number is the DTC on the scan tool, second number is the Dealer Test Mode DTC Display. I'm guessing that with the wrong HEC in there, you'll have more than a few DTCs come up... everything won't jive with what's programmed.

Diagnostic Tool Displayed DTC Dealer Test Mode Displayed DTC Description Source Action
B1202 9202 Fuel Sender Open HEC Go To Pinpoint Test C.
B1204 9204 Fuel Sender Short to Ground HEC Go To Pinpoint Test C.
B1213 9213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys is Below Minimum HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B2103 A103 Antenna Not Connected — Defective Transceiver HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B1317 9317 Battery Voltage High HEC REFER to Section 414-00.
B1318 9318 Battery Voltage Low HEC REFER to Section 414-00.
B1342 9342 ECU Is Defective HEC CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. If DTC B1342, INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Instrument Cluster. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B1356 9356 Ignition RUN Circuit Open HEC Go To Pinpoint Test A.
B1364 9364 Ignition START Circuit Open HEC Go To Pinpoint Test A.
B1600 9600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received — Damaged Key or Non-PATS Key HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B1601 9601 PATS Received Incorrect Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key) HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B1602 9602 PATS Received Invalid Format Of Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Read) HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B1681 9681 PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring) HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B1232 A103 Antenna Not Connected — Defective Transceiver HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B2139 A139 PCM ID Does Not Match Between HEC and PCM HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B2141 A141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID Exchange Between Instrument Cluster and PCM) HEC REFER to Section 419-01.
B2143 A143 Odometer NVM Memory Failure HEC INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Instrument Cluster. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
C1284 5284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure HEC Go To Pinpoint Test E.
P1197 1197 SELECT/RESET Switch Circuit Failure HEC INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Instrument Cluster. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
U1011 D011 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Air Intake PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1027 D027 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1041 D041 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Speed PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1073 D073 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Coolant PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1123 D123 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1131 D131 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Fuel System AFCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1132 D132 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Odometer PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1147 D147 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Security PCM REFER to Section 419-01.
U1148 D148 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Audio Control PCM CARRY OUT the PCM self-test.
U1262 D262 Missing SCP Message J1850 REFER to Section 418-00.
I suspect that part of the reasoning for this is so that you can't just swap clusters with another one with lower mileage. That would be odometer fraud, of course.

-Joe

Old 12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
BUMP!
HEY,thanks guys, this was a real help to my problem.
Somethings, I'll test today

Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 PM
I was wondering if you can help me out please I have a 200 4 f150 that want started I put a used pcm computer jn it with all the matching numbers and it want start I took it to ford dealership to have it flashed and they said they flash it but it want start do you know why? when I stick the key in to the ignition and turn it over it don't do anything the anti theft light just keep blinking fast

Old 06-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Be sure you do not leave any information out so we can get a better feel for what might be the problem.
Why was the PCM changed?
Did the dealer also do the keys for you along with the flash?
Do this:::::: Put key into ignition, turn key to RUN only, no cranking.
Leave it this way for a few minutes.
Does it flash a two digit code?
If yes, be sure of it and post back here.
Good luck.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:27 AM
Are you here in the state of Kentucky in elizabethtown or radcliff anywhere close to fort knox

Old 06-23-2014, 07:47 AM
If the dealer re-flashed the system for the replacement PCM, it should work. Take it back as there is nothing that can be done over the internet with such a situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reset anti theft dydtem