2004 - 2008 F-150

P2106 code?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2106 code?

First off I have searched here and Google for a better definition of this code.

I jumped in my truck after work and we was all busting to leave smoking tires and zooming out the gate. Anyhow I started my truck tossed it in reverse and punched the gas. All rather quickly of course. The check engine light came on and it started running rough. I pulled up the diagnotisics in the Edge and seen Code P2106 and no other codes. I recalled reading about it here and I shut the engine off and restarted. Everything was back to normal and the 15 minute drive home and all was great. I got my best 0-60 time with some impressive tire squeal resulting in a 8.68. :o

I've search these forums and see that the P2106 code is somewhat confusing. It normally accompanies other codes so I'm at a loss here.

Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

Google turned up TSB #17646 and TSB #17483 I searched the Recalls and TSB from the F150online.com homepage with no luck. . I'm pretty sure that isn't a good listing since there was only like 5 TSB's listed on that linked site for the 04 FX4. Google was pretty worthless when searching TSB #'s

I'm guessing I just scared the crap out of the truck getting on it so quick after startup. Does that sound about right? Only mods I've done is installed the Edge at default Lvl 2 and a cheap Cold Air Intake from ebay. Don't bash me too hard for the CIA. It works pretty good. When I installed them together I disconnected the battery and turned on the lights to clear the PCM memory. She runs like a beauty 99.9% of the time. I just want to be sure that P2106 don't put me on the side of the road out in the boonies at midnight. So if any of you highly intelligent and respectable fellows can give me some advice I sure would appreciate it.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:43 AM
Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Shameless bump -

I was driving from Wichita through Springfield Missouri and the truck was doing pretty good on cruise control for about 200 miles, then all of a sudden the ABS light, wrench, and engine lights come on and I lost engine power. I pulled the code with my edge and I have P2106. That's it- nothing else- no other codes.

I put the truck in neutral coated and restarted the truck clearing the codes. It would drive for about 2 minutes and the same thing again this time it didn't matter that I wasn't using cruise. I had to pull off the road and use my wireless internet to read about clearing the PCM by removing the negative battery cable and grounding that to the positive. (Ok yea I knew that but I didn't know that it might fix this problem) That would get me about an hour or so driving till I would have get the code and pull off to do it all over again.

I did a few things to the truck before the trip...5 tire rotation, changed fuel filter, cleaned S&B CIA. I'm going to pull the CIA in a few minutes and see if anything is dirty. Any inputs would be appreciated!

Last edited by Impact9; 07-08-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: sig overkill
Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Same thing happenes to me.

What I've done:

Cleaned air filter.
Cleaned MAF 3 times.
Changed Throttle Positioning Sensor
Checked ALL plugs for gap variation

I've had this problem in the past, but lately, it's gotten 10 times worse.

Im gonna try replacing the throttle body and see where that gets me.
To me, it seems worse on really hot days.

What was your speed going down the interstate? Personally, it doesn't go into failsafe mode when I keep my foot in it. So I usually cruize close to 80 MPH because the engine is under more "load" and it tends to not mess up while under load.

The Throttle body is on "national back order" :| But I'll report back what happens when I actually get it.

Good luck man! I know how you feel. I wanna roll my truck off a cliff everyday.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I was trying to keep to the speed limit to conserve gas but this was working against me as it would throw the code really fast. But like you said, keep your foot on the pedal. I noticed it wouldn't fault nearly as fast if I maintained at least 2k RPM which was about 70mph for me. Sad thing is where this started acting up was a 55mph area, which in the past has had plenty of HP coverage.

This really started acting up last night. I started my trip around 10pm so it wasn't hot out, maybe low 70's. I thought maybe the sensor was getting hot even with normal engine temps.

This is going to be one hell of a trip back to kansas. I wonder how bad it is on the truck/mpg to just drive in fail safe mode.

Last edited by Impact9; 07-08-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: sig overkill
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Say does the Trottle body come with the position sensor? I kinda doubt it but I'm hoping it does.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I asked the guy at the parts department if it came with a TPS. He said "YES"... it's a complete plug and play throttle body.

Mine has good days and bad days. You're trip may go flawless on the way home.

I drove 4 hours 1 way last week and it only messed up once.

About 2 weeks prior to that, I made the same trip and I think I would be underestimating if I said it happened 20 times.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM
That's cool. I ordered the body from fordparts.com last night since I've had a history of the P2106 code. I sure hope they can send it out fast before I go on this trip back home. I'm going to clean the **** out of the trottle body today and the MAF. Probably run a can of seafoam through the tank as well. I'm hoping that when I cleaned my air filter I maybe added a bit too much oil finally pushing this problem to the breaking point.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Impact...i've been having the same problem. What is the part number i need to order? How much did it run

Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
try this link:

Ford Parts

Last edited by Impact9; 07-08-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: sig overkill
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Fordparts.com came though and the new throttle body should be here sometime today. I ordered next day air just to be safe and it was only $27 so not too bad at all.

Last edited by Impact9; 07-08-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: sig overkill
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Fordparts.com came though and the new throttle body should be here sometime today. I ordered next day air just to be safe and it was only $27 so not too bad at all.
Got a part number impact?

Please keep us posted on how this turns out.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by ford2004F150
Got a part number impact?

Please keep us posted on how this turns out.
I don't have the part number but you can follow that link i posted above. The invoice should have the part number on it and I'll post that soon as I get the throttle body in.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Impact, I have your answer. I had this problem, and it happened rather often. I cleaned my throttle body which was FULL of gunk. Still happened. Cleaned the MAF and TPS sensor (disassembled both). Same problem. I replaced the TPS sensor for about $60 and still nothing. Well turns out my PCM was not compatible with the TPS sensor, so I had the PCM reflashed to work with the new version TPS. Bingo. All better.

If it happened only once, count it as a fault. When it starts to go out it will do it repeatedly. I could not drive for more than 10 minutes before it just had to be fixed.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
Well turns out my PCM was not compatible with the TPS sensor, so I had the PCM reflashed to work with the new version TPS. Bingo. All better
what caused the original problem? I can see where it won't be compatible with the new sensor, but the old one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P2106 code?