04 F150 AC Evaporator Issue

Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 F150 AC Evaporator Issue

Has anyone has an issue with their 2004 F150 ac cooling? I have had 3 service attempts to resolve this. I've been told from Ford that the evaporator in the ac is too small and there's no solution at this time. I'm trying to find out who else out there has experienced this and what are you being told? Basically I'm having issues paying $35,000 for a truck I cannot drive when it's 90 degrees outside and the humitidy is high!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if this helps but, my '01 supercrew will freeze you out on the hottest day 105 deg F, midwest humidity. Unless significant changes were made between '01 and '04 I think(know) your dealer is full of **it.

When you say Ford told you, "..." Do you mean the dealer where you bought the truck or Ford Motor Company (Dierborn, MI)? Because, the dealer is NOT a Ford representative. All Ford dealers are independent reps, their "quality is job one" service techs are NOT Ford employees. Unfortunately I learned this fact too late.

What to do? Unfortuately for me my truck was out of warranty when I learned that the dealer is not a Ford employee. My personal problem was with the vehicle tracking poorly/eating front tires. After three years my dealer could not fix the problem. One visit to a local shop that preformed a proper tire alignment and the problem was solved. Bit the bullet, take the truck to a reputable indy shop and have them document the issues.

Last edited by KTrostel; 09-11-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The evaporator in the '04-'06 F150 is the same evaporator that's in the '97-'04 Heritage model F150s. This evaporator is too small to efficently cool the interior volume and glass in a new F150. The '07 F150 evaporator is supposed to be bigger to aid in A/C performance.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
The evaporator core on the 97 and up F-series is similar in size to the Mid 90 Econoline.
A bit more glass and volume in that one.

If its not cooling properly its ...
Charge is incorrect
Orifice tube incorrect
Contaminated freon
Condenser with clogged tubes
Evaporator with clogged tubes
compressor weak
Insufficient airflow through condenser
Air leakage from the outside

Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 PM

There's also a rear A/C unit in an Econoline, so the front ain't doing all the work.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Post 04 F150 AC Evaporator Issue

When I said I spoke w/Ford...I called Ford Company's 1-800 number from the corporate website. What I have learned since my initial post is that Ford is aware of this issue (not what I was told initially from "Ford") and they are working on a solution, however, the issue is how long will this take? I have also talked to my local Ford dealership and I've indicated to them that if this issue isn't resolved and fixed by Spring, they can have the truck back and I will seek recovery of the money I've spent on the truck as an inconvenience. One of the Ford reps - from corporate - asked "why didn't she complain the 1st summer she had the truck?" My reply..."we didn't have the heat and humidity together as we did this past summer for any extended length of time!" First of all, I should have been told about this "issue" when it was brought to Ford's attention (although some have admitted they knew this as they buillt the truck). I guess they just do whatever they want and hope someone like me doesn't become aware of their mistakes. I won't let this one go. It's just disturbing to me that companies do things like this knowingly just because they can. I think it's time for me to just stick with my Toyota.....After sweating in that new truck a couple of days, I decided to drive my 10 year old camry....an froze!!!!! Imagine that......after 196,000 miles is still cools like a brand new vehicle!

Old 09-15-2006, 05:21 PM

You're screaming buy back just because the A/C doesn't work as well as you'd like it to?

Oh please. Get real - No, the '04-'06 A/C doesn't work as well as it should, but there's still plenty of trucks out there that run cold and consistent. If you've got a problem with yours, and your dealer is incapable/unwilling to address it, consider trying another dealer before bitching about buy backs.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:36 PM
No need to react like that - this is a forum not court

I am so shocked and I must say....this shall be my last post. I thought this was a forum to find out what fellow Ford consumers felt about situations, new products, etc. Obviously, I was wrong and someone has way too much time on their hands. It may be your opinion I'm b_ _ _ _ ing but this is not no money out of your pocket and no sweat off your back. I want what I pay for. If I wanted a piece of junk, I would have bought a used vehicle - someone elses problems, one I didn't feel confident in - I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes but I work very hard for my money and I don't feel like I have to settle for anything less than I expected!!! Any for the record...my dealer HAS addressed the issue, they've exhausted their avenues, they looked to Ford for a solution and you already know what they were told. I've been told the same thing. Now if you don't like the fact that I personally take pride in what I spend my money on, that's your opinion and you may keep it to yourself. I am merely posting an issue on here to get some kind of feed back on what others are being told. This obviously has turned into a personal issue with you............Do you happen to work for FORD????????

Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
I've had customers complain the AC isn't cold enough.
The thermometer said 36* on High Blower, in the Sun on a 95+ high humidity day.
The side windows had fog on them.

What's the temp of the vents?

Old 09-18-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by robins150
I am so shocked and I must say....this shall be my last post. I thought this was a forum to find out what fellow Ford consumers felt about situations, new products, etc. Obviously, I was wrong and someone has way too much time on their hands. It may be your opinion I'm b_ _ _ _ ing but this is not no money out of your pocket and no sweat off your back. I want what I pay for. If I wanted a piece of junk, I would have bought a used vehicle - someone elses problems, one I didn't feel confident in - I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes but I work very hard for my money and I don't feel like I have to settle for anything less than I expected!!! Any for the record...my dealer HAS addressed the issue, they've exhausted their avenues, they looked to Ford for a solution and you already know what they were told. I've been told the same thing. Now if you don't like the fact that I personally take pride in what I spend my money on, that's your opinion and you may keep it to yourself. I am merely posting an issue on here to get some kind of feed back on what others are being told. This obviously has turned into a personal issue with you............Do you happen to work for FORD????????
Personal issue? Nope. My A/C works just fine. And no, I do not work for Ford, but I do work for a dealership.

Perhaps I came off as too harsh; perhaps I came off as realistic. Fact of the matter is, you aren't gonna get a buy back for poor or insufficent A/C performance. If your dealer has exhausted all avenues, then there's not much else they can do, is there?

Let's dig a little further as to what your A/C problem is. What's the temperature at the vents with the A/C fan on high and the system on MAX?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 PM
air temp coming from vents

Zziggy, the temperature coming out of the vents is 56 degrees. However, the tech in the service department said to consider that he checked it in the morning and the temperature nor humidity was very high. I take it that meant when the temperature and humidity is high the temperature blowing out of the vents is even higher. For the record...I have had the AC on auto, temp on 60 degrees and all vents wide open....no luck. I have had the AC on manual, 60 degrees and all vents open....no change. I also turn the "circulate air inside" button so it doesn't pull the hot, humid air in from the outside.

Thanks for a positive reply. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 F150 AC Evaporator Issue