question on a Ford Escape license plate screws?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on a Ford Escape license plate screws?

My mother owns a 06 Escape Limited, so I was out at an Auto store this morning and brought her a smoke color license plate cover for the rear end as she said she likes the way it looks on mine.

When I went to her House today to install it, I noticed there are no bottom screws for the back license plate??

If I install this cover, it will rattle around and get water inside this cover from not being any bottom screw holes.

why did Ford not make bottom screw holes and how do I go about putting screws in?

Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I have a 90 f150, a 01 windstar and both have the 2 holes for the plates. if you want more, just mark the holes and drill them. get some stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers to avoid the rusting that will surely come over time

Old 09-02-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaineer02v8
My mother owns a 06 Escape Limited, so I was out at an Auto store this morning and brought her a smoke color license plate cover for the rear end as she said she likes the way it looks on mine.

When I went to her House today to install it, I noticed there are no bottom screws for the back license plate??

If I install this cover, it will rattle around and get water inside this cover from not being any bottom screw holes.

why did Ford not make bottom screw holes and how do I go about putting screws in?
Better watch out. Mom might be getting a ticket with a smoked plate cover. Here they are against the law, you might want to look into that Matt.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Better watch out. Mom might be getting a ticket with a smoked plate cover. Here they are against the law, you might want to look into that Matt.

I called the dealership to ask about screwing the holes on the bottom, and they said not to since there is a door lock mechanism behind the door. They said just use Velcro. That won't work though, it won't hold.

they are suppose to be Illegal over here to with a cover over your plate, but cops here aren't stricked about them at all. I've been pulled over number of times with mine on, and they haven't said a word to me about the plate cover.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Suspended
Just get some 3M double-side tape, the strong stuff. I've used it before on this and it worked perfectly.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think any of the trucks in the fleet have four screws for the plates.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
My neighbor just got a ticket for having smoke color license plate cover on his car here in Montana, so I would check the laws before installing.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Unless your momma is running a 2000 watt stereo with four 12" subwoofers, it ain't gonna rattle. Mine doesn't, and I'm at 1000 watts.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I will make the assumption that the cover has 4 holes that also match the 4 holes on the plate.. Top two holes get bolted through the bumper, that fastens the plate and cover to the truck. Reverse the bottem to bolts so that they have the heads on the backside of the plate and the threads project through and past the cover. Install the lock washers and acorn nuts.
( acorn nuts have a cover so the thread does not show past the normal nut).
You might have to cover the heads as so they would not scratch the bumper. Having said all that, Napa might have plastic license plater screw/bolts all that would be required is a nut as the plastic would act as a lock washer.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Unless your momma is running a 2000 watt stereo with four 12" subwoofers, it ain't gonna rattle. Mine doesn't, and I'm at 1000 watts.
I don't know about that. I think SUVs are a lot different. My mother has a 2004 EB Expy and hers rattled before I put the double sided 3M tape on the bottom.

Quick Reply: question on a Ford Escape license plate screws?