F150 - Fuel Pump Issue. Drop tank or Remove Bed?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 - Fuel Pump Issue. Drop tank or Remove Bed?

Hey guys.. My 98 f150 has a fuel delivery issue. It'll start but the engine is being deprived of fuel. yeah I changed out the filter and all.. nothing.

If I'm not mistaken there is a screen inside the tank correct? If so I'm guessing either that screen is bad or the fuel pump is bad. Its not putting enough fuel through the lines to keep the truck running. I manually put a LITTLE gas down the intake and she fired off that just fine until it burned off then I had a truck running at 4krpm

So I'm going to take the pump out and check everything there. Is it easier to drop the tank down or rip the bed off? If the bed goes anyone know what bit size I need for the bed bolts? Its a Torx bit head. Only reason I ask is I can drop the tank and all thats no problem but if the bed method is easier, I'd go out and buy the bit and just take that off.. Just need to know if I need to go out and buy the bit or not more or less. I had a real nice set of them but they were "loaned" to someone about a year ago and never returned. NEver loan tools.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Hello bcshepard, I've always heard that pulling the bed is easier, 6 bolts(?) and a little wiring, and everything is exposed. Sorry, but I don't know the size Torx you need. Good luck. Peace, Dave.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 AM
A sister company of the one I work at is a garage. They call us over every so often to help take the beds off trucks. They say it is easier to pull off the bed also..

Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming you have either a hoist, loader tractor, or buddys to help you lift it off, I would pull the bed off too. As terapinflyer said, some bolts, wiring, the filler neck, and then pull it right off.

I helped a buddy replace his fuel pump just a couple weeks ago, and we decided to drop the tanks because he had a bedliner and a few other things, and after it was all said and done, we wished we would have pulled the bed off.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I've dropped the tank on 2 96 and older trucks, easy to due if the tank is empty, 2 straps and the filler neck and then the lines. I would never try to take the bed off unless it was damaged, would hate to bounce that bed into the cab or bend it in anyway

Old 07-15-2006, 05:25 PM
the bed is stout,trust me.i took mine off once and only had my cousin to help at the time and he's only bout 145lbs i got under one wheel well he got under the other and my sister drove it out from under the bed.then,we dropped it,didn't bend an inch.me and 2 other people can get it off fairly easy but its nice to have 4 for stability.its not hard to get the bed off,and mine was mounted a little crooked from the factory so i fixed that by takin it off too.i think it's a t-45,but you will probably need an impact driver or somethin to get em out.i stripped one and had to weld a nut to it,then i just replaced them all with hex heads and nylon lock washers.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Unhappy Bed or Tank

I just dropped my tank today in a 2001 scab off road it took 6 bolts for skid plate and 2 for straps holding tank. and a couple of hoses and the plug for pump. It took maybe a hour by myself with almost a 1/2 tank of gas. I used racheting straps to support the tank while unbolting it and lowered so i could get to the bolts to remove fuel pump. Didn't put back together had to order the pump going to take 3 days not happy. but my buddy loaned his f 150 to me for a couple of days. Good luck finding the problem. My pump just went out at the gas station.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by davs150
I just dropped my tank today in a 2001 scab off road it took 6 bolts for skid plate and 2 for straps holding tank. and a couple of hoses and the plug for pump. It took maybe a hour by myself with almost a 1/2 tank of gas. I used racheting straps to support the tank while unbolting it and lowered so i could get to the bolts to remove fuel pump. Didn't put back together had to order the pump going to take 3 days not happy. but my buddy loaned his f 150 to me for a couple of days. Good luck finding the problem. My pump just went out at the gas station.

What a bitch when that happens!!!!!! I had a 98 Camaro SS and I had just finished filling up, got in and turned the switch........nothing but motor turning. OHHHH I WAS PISSED!!! $250 for a fuel pump and 15 hrs later vroom vroom.. anyways this is a little off topic, but i wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. As far as topic goes, i would remove the bed

Old 07-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It is easier to pull the bed on the pre 97s. I can't imagine the 97+ are easier to drop the tank.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-20-2006, 02:53 AM
i just changed the fuel pump on my '97 and dropped the tank. i found it to be a pretty simple and straight forward job.

i did it all without jacking the truck up at all and did most of the work while sitting up underneath the truck between the exhaust and the driveshaft on the passenger side. if your truck is a 4x4 the average 6' tall person can sit up straight and reach over the drive shaft to undo all of the hoses and connections. i unbolted the sending unit and pump bracket from the tank after letting it down about 6" and then just let the whole tank down. it was nearly empty of course.

i did install a holley 190lph fuel pump for a '97 mustang 4.6 into it without any problems and all of my ping and lag issues seem to have dissapeared completely. even that slight ping i had when first hitting the gas pedal after coasting for a few seconds or more is gone.

fyi

holley 190lph mustang pump =$140 cdn
ford oem 88lph junk=$475 cdn

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 - Fuel Pump Issue. Drop tank or Remove Bed?