Grinding Noise From Rotors/Pads/Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grinding Noise From Rotors/Pads/Parking Brake

I have a 2002 screw and over the last two weeks the rear of the truck has started to make this clicking noise. And to make it worse, it has started to make a squeaking noise. (Not a rubber squeaking noise though.)
So today I took off the rear tires, and removed both the calipers, to remove any drag by them on the rotors. I tried to turn the rotor/axle, and I found it to be very stiff to turn, and while doing it, it makes a grinding noise. (I could not recreate the clicking/squeaking.)
The only thing I can think it might be is the rotor grinding on something, or the parking brake grinding. (And no, the parking brake is not on, I checked that.)
Later on today I am going to remove the whole rotor assembly and see if I can find out what is making this noise.

If anyone has had this problem before or could maybe point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem, my rear brake pads were worn out. It sounds like your paking brake needs to be adjusted (too tight). The shoes inside the rotor itself may be bad and causing the grinding. Pull the caliper and remove the rotor and check them. Most likely what it is. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got it fixed, the parking brake was seized on. I took pictures of the whole ordeal and I will be putting them in a new thread of what to look for and how to back them off. The rotor itself was a huge pain to get off and now that I know what the inside looks like and what was having it stay on so tight I can help the rest of you who have to do this some day. The pics will be posted soon.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise From Rotors/Pads/Parking Brake