Driveshaft Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft Clicking Noise

I Have A 1989 F150 2 Wheel Drive. I Have A Constant Clicking Sound On Take Off And Sometime De-accleration. I Replaced Both Of The Universals, Tightened The Rear Axle Pinion Nut.subsequently Replaced The Rear Axle With A Posi Unit Afterwards And Replaced The Rear Shaft Seal On The Trans(mazda 5 Spd).i Still Have The Noise . I Am Wondering If The Clamps Which Are Pressed Onto The Driveshaft Itself Can Slip Causing This Sound Or Is It The Slip Yoke On The Driveshaft Itself? Can I Fix It Or Should I Just Buy A New One

Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
If you have replaced the U-joints and still have the noise, then I don't think it was the u-joints.

So, what could it be? Exhaust leak? nail in tire? Dual tanks (solinoid clicking?)? Exhaust clamp hitting frame?

What makes you think that the noise is the driveshaft?

Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
damn driveshaft

hey thanks for your reply. i dont have dual tanks, have gone through multiple sets of tires; have installed a custom 3'' exhaust with tips exiting before the axle with out any hangers having clearance issues and have had this problem for 3 years with both exhausts. i figure it has to be the driveshaft because other then that i have changed everything else. i was also thinking it could be a broken leaf spring but after inspection ruled that out. i cant figure it out probably because it is a stupid fix. other then that the sound only comes when i have my rear slider open and comes from underneath the vehicle. it sounds exactly like a clinking or a clicking. the driveshaft seems to be aluminized and with pressed ends they are just the next on my list. HELP!!!!

oh yeah i thought it might be comming from the trans itself but i got under there and while a buddy installed the parking brake, rocked the clutch; the sound seemed to be echoing from the shaft. i might as well just buy another one.....

Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
i wonder if shocks can make a noise like that if they are worn out? any ideas anyone? any experience....help; ask your friends!

Old 06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
What about a fuel line/filter, brake line?

Here is a thought, could it be a muffler?
It is not unusual for something to come loose inside a muffler. I have personal experience with that!!!

If you have replaced the u-joints (properly), there is not much more to a driveshaft. Howz your speedometer? have you greased the lower cable lately?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 AM
well thanks for your info saint,
i have checked all those things though. just greased spedo cable when i pulled trans to do clutch. have had 3 different mufflers and have checked all clearances of cables or anything like that. maybe i should not have posted that it was a constant noise. it only happens on take off, downshifting and de-acceleration. sound so much like worn needle bearings in a u joint but i have repalced them twice. it sounds like a very metallic clinking of metal on metal like the driveshaft has a crack, thats why after inspecting it i figured it must be the end yokes of the shaft. they are pressed into the ends of the hollow drive shaft and have a large clamp securing them. no welds or anything,

Old 06-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by ajbuick
well thanks for your info saint,
i have checked all those things though. just greased spedo cable when i pulled trans to do clutch. have had 3 different mufflers and have checked all clearances of cables or anything like that. maybe i should not have posted that it was a constant noise. it only happens on take off, downshifting and de-acceleration. sound so much like worn needle bearings in a u joint but i have repalced them twice. it sounds like a very metallic clinking of metal on metal like the driveshaft has a crack, thats why after inspecting it i figured it must be the end yokes of the shaft. they are pressed into the ends of the hollow drive shaft and have a large clamp securing them. no welds or anything,
try lubing the slip yoke with teflon grease part no from Ford is 5L3Z-19G308-A

Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is a one time noise on accel or braking, try inspecting the frame rivets for rust around the head.You may have a loose rivet that is making the noise. Ford had a service bulletin out years ago for loose rivets that would make noise. You would chisel the head off and install a grade 8 bolt. Also I've seen aftermarket rims that didn't fit right on the hub cause noise, most noticable when changingdirections.
Hope this helps

Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks dwsf150,
that sounds like something i will investigate further!! i am still looking for suggestions on this problem everyone! this problem is really annoying me. it wont go away, short of changing the driveshaft or welding it? or burning my beloved truck i am going solve this ford enginerring **** up once and for all.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Clicking Noise