Burning Smell and Loud Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Smell and Loud Noise

Hello. When I crank my car up (Toyota Landcruiser 1993) it squells and you can smell something burning. I just got it out of the shop and it was running fine.

Yesterday, I drove from the store which is about a mile and a half away and I noticed smoke and a burning smell when I got home. I thought it was overheated because the coolant overflow was empty. But after I let it cool completely and removed the cap from the radiator it was full. So, I put more fluid in the overflow. But when I cranked it back up it squelled really loud and something is burning cause I can smell it.

Any suggestions? I saw a thread in a in 2003 email that stated a loose suspension hose causes a loud noise.... I have called the guy that fixed my truck but he hasn't called me back yet and I am hoping that it is something simple.

Please let me know what you think. Oh, I have little knowledge of cars so don't assume I know the basics. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2006, 09:25 AM
BSA
belt

May want to check your serpentine belt. I had a taurus that gave me a bunch of belt problems. Never did fix the problem. It will definitly squel and smell like its burning.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:45 AM
First I have to ask, What the hell is a suspension hose?
Sounds like the belt it smoking? Things to check, altenator maybe be seized, water pump( that would cause over heating) AC pump if ya have AC. Could also be tensioner is seized or spring is broken or weak and causing the belt to slip.
By the sounds of your automotive knowledge, I would take it to a shop and get it checked.
One thing ya can do is start it with the hood open and see where the smoke starts coming from first and listen for the squeel.

If nothing else, put some oil on the belt to make it slide better.
J/K, dont oil the belt..

Sled...

Old 05-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I thought the old thread I read said suspension hose....now I recall it said the surpentine belt. You are correct, I don't know much about cars. Matter of fact, I probably only know how to check the fluids, change the oil, change the tires, and check fuses, which is a lot more than some women know. I plan to change that though. I just find some comfort in knowing what the problem could be. Seized??? Ok, I gotta get the dictionary.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Seized, = frozen, stuck, unable to turn. As in the engine seized from lack of oil.

Sounds like something that is suppose to be turning is not. If you can figure how to loosen the belt tension you can check most of the components for rotation.

Alternator should spin freely
Power steering should spin fairly easy
AC should also spin fairly easy
Water pump should turn fairly easy also

If one or more of these are hard to turn it could be the problem.
If you can not identify even one of the components listed above then you shouldnt even open the hood. Just drive the squealing hog to the nearest dealer or repair shop.

Sled...

Old 05-20-2006, 02:12 PM
hmmmm

yeah it does sound like a belt issue.... however the burning smell could be a multitude of things. Could be that the mechanic spilled some fluid on something and it is just burning off, could be the mechanic created a leak, either knowingly or unknowingly look at your motor and try to assess where the burning smell and if any associated smoke is coming from then come back with another post and that might make it easier to put this problem to bed

Old 05-20-2006, 05:42 PM
I would suggest that you open your hood with the engine running, and see if all the pulleys are turning. If one of them is not turning, then that component is bad. Also, you can look for the area that the smoke is coming from, if all the pulleys are turning. If you decide to drive it to a repair shop, be alert when you drive cause if the belt brakes, you will no longer have power steering.

Quick Reply: Burning Smell and Loud Noise