Feels like I hit a wall when in reverse... what gives?

Old 05-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feels like I hit a wall when in reverse... what gives?

I've had this happen to me two or three times in the last month or so... when backing up it feels like I hit something solid, truck just stops. Pull forward, get out, look around, nothing obvious. Get back in, back up again, no problem. Like I said, this has only happened a few times but it literally feels like I hit a wall or like it was slammed into Park while backing up.

Can anyone give me an explanation and/or suggestion? I'm concerned that I've got a serious tranny problem. I'm due for the 60K mile service and I don't recall if they flushed and changed the tranny fluid when I had it in for the 30K service or not.

'02 Screw, 5.4L, auto trans, 61k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a guess here: Parking brake retainer springs that broke. When the correct spring breaks, it *could* let the shoe drop and wedge itself in the drum where it normally rides.

Just a guess though.

-Joe

Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Joe. The fact that this has only happened a few time in the last month or so makes me question that it could be the retainer spring. I would think that would cause this to happen much more often. However, I will check that out anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
My wifes explorer started doing the same thing some time ago. It would not move when put in reverse. I had to actually pull it backwards with my truck so i could get it faceing forward then it would move.... It was the tranny when i opened it up it was a total mess inside... i hope thats not ir but get it in now and have it checked... good luck.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:56 AM
T21
Unhappy Same here

Wow, I had done a search and found this Topic. The exact same thing happened to me this morning. I thought I had somehow backed into my kids' Basketball Pole. Shocked the heck out of me. I pulled a bit forward, got out and looked around. Nothing.... Put it in reverse and slowly backed out without a problem. I have no idea what it could be. I don't tow anything, and rarely carry alot of weight in the back. The only thing lately is that I did carry 1 cu yd of topsoil over the weekend, but not for long. Any ideas what to look for? I'm very concerned. I do not need a LARGE bill right now. I have just shy of 80K on the truck. 2001 Supercrew XLT.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:26 PM
?

I know this is old but was this issue resolved?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Feels like I hit a wall when in reverse... what gives?