V-6 4.2 Hesitating while accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb V-6 4.2 Hesitating while accelerating?

Hey Guys & Girls I have a problem with my truck and hopefully I can get some help/suggestions before I have to end up taking it to the shop.

Here is the problem:

I have a 2001 F150 V-6 4.2L, all maintinence has been kept up on it since I bought it new, Well about 3 days ago it started hesitating while I was driving and it has steadily become worse. It acts like it almost wants to choke out when I try to accelerate and just starts to sputter. I thought it may be the Air or Fuel filter so I changed both but still no improvement, any ideas on what could be the problem? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oh and sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, I was unsure where to post it.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Hopefully you will get a check engine light soon. I think Autozone still reads codes for free so you can take it to them when you get the CEL and then report those code(s) back here.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That happened to a bud of mine. He needed a tune up and coil packs.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Sorry, I traded my 01 f150 v6 before any problems started. Although I did have to replace my alum oil pan .

Old 04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Well I took it to Auto Zone and the only code that came back was for the EVG valve, Hell I have never heard of this part before...You think this may be the real problem for the way its running or just something in addition to?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I assume you mean EGR. Before replacing a single thing though, what was the exact number of the code? It was probably P0401 and/or P0402 - there's a few different courses of action to take, depending on which code specifically you got.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry, I didnt see the exact code, I was just going by what the man at Auto Zone told me and it was a EGV Valve.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, no, no. Never, ever, ever, ever go by what the guys at AutoadvancepepO'ReillysboysZone tell you. They're out to sell parts before anything else. I think he really meant EGR valve, in which case I'll go ahead and reach out and say he's wrong, these EGR valves don't fail very often. Tote it back to 'em, get it rescanned and find the exact number of the code. There's a few common failure items when it comes to the EGR system in that engine (and these trucks in general), and we can better pinpoint what you need to do with the specific code. Without that code, we'd be throwing parts at it hoping for the best, which gets annoying and expensive.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Question Spit and sputter misfires in #3 and #6 cyls

My 1997 Ford f150 XLT 136k miles has been running bad. Check engine light came on and off multi times over the last 6mths. I finally went to Autozone and the codes read multi cyl misfires 1 3 and 5 I think. They said it could be plugs or wires. So I replaced the plugs, it seemed better so I drove it for another month then it got real bad. So I replaced the plug wires. Seeing a very slight improvement, upon investigating I found a loose electrical connection on the "IAC valve" (it's on top of the motor right in front of the coil pack. smog stuff I guess?) And all was cured, almost. I did sputter once in a while but not even close to how it was. Best it's ran in 6 months. So.....I thought I'd try the "Sea Foam" carbon cleaning trick explained somewhere else in this fourm fed through the vacuum line hooked to the brake booster. Now it is truely running like sh** again. Worse that it has been sputters even at highway speeds. Went back to autozone and P0303 & P0306 were displayed 2 times each. I have a coil pack ordered. Can you guys help with ideas? I'm scratching my head here. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hip001
My 1997 Ford f150 XLT 136k miles has been running bad. Check engine light came on and off multi times over the last 6mths. I finally went to Autozone and the codes read multi cyl misfires 1 3 and 5 I think. They said it could be plugs or wires. So I replaced the plugs, it seemed better so I drove it for another month then it got real bad. So I replaced the plug wires. Seeing a very slight improvement, upon investigating I found a loose electrical connection on the "IAC valve" (it's on top of the motor right in front of the coil pack. smog stuff I guess?) And all was cured, almost. I did sputter once in a while but not even close to how it was. Best it's ran in 6 months. So.....I thought I'd try the "Sea Foam" carbon cleaning trick explained somewhere else in this fourm fed through the vacuum line hooked to the brake booster. Now it is truely running like sh** again. Worse that it has been sputters even at highway speeds. Went back to autozone and P0303 & P0306 were displayed 2 times each. I have a coil pack ordered. Can you guys help with ideas? I'm scratching my head here. Thanks!

i has the same problem as you, i did the same thing as you, came out to be my fuel injectors. every now and then some **** get stopped up in there. check it out.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM
If it was EGR code P0401, that means "insufficient EGR flow". My truck (which is a 2001 4.2L F150 btw) was throwing that code, and it turned out to be a bad DPFE (EGR) sensor. Code P0402, which is "Excessive EGR flow" is another EGR code that can be caused by the DPFE "EGR" sensor.

There is an extended warranty on the DPFE "EGR sensor" on certain V6 F150's. I got a letter in the mail from Ford saying that the "EGR" or "DPFE" sensor on my truck was covered under an extended warranty for 5 years/60k miles.

When mine started acting up, I went to Autozone and they pulled the P0401 EGR code. Then I took it to the Ford dealer and got it replaced at no charge.

That was about a year ago when mine was still covered under the extended warranty on that particular part. I'd check the dealer to see if your still covered if you have under 60k miles.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Same trouble with my 2001!?!?

I was readin through this after just becoming a member today. I am having the same trouble with my 2001 v-6. It does fine at a steady speed, but when I get it gas, it starts boggin down on me. I cleaned my air fliter out, changed the fuel filter and it is still doing it. Went to auto zone for them to pull the codes and see what is wrong, but they didnt get a single code. Now when it starts to bog down, I have noticed that the Anti-Theft light starts flashing. When it does flash then it wont bog down. Could this be some sort of electrical problem??? Any help would be really great yall! I have know idea what the hell im doing with it...lol.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Water shorting out firing/sensors

I had the problem with my 02 when I power-washed the engine. I pulled off and dried out the connectors on the right side, & it ran fine A month later I was driving across a 'low water crossing' ( 4 inches) at 30 mph. As soon as I started excellerating, it would back fire. The check ehgine light would flash on & off as I stepped on the gas. I went home, pulled out a hair drier, pulled all the wiring off 1 at a time, and applied dielectric grease.

The next day, I went back, crossed several time at greater speeds to see if it would happen again. I could not get it to short out.

My 2 cents:

Quick Reply: V-6 4.2 Hesitating while accelerating?