factory alarm - how to disable?

Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory alarm - how to disable?

I have a 2005 SCrew. It has remote keyless entry, but didn't have the keypad on the door when new. I bought the new keypad/door handle assembly and installed it (worked perfectly - easy upgrade). My wife drives the truck and uses the remote all the time. I don't like carrying more stuff and always use the key (habit anyway since my jeep doesn't have keyless entry). And just because someone will ask why, the keypad was put on for convenience. I use it when out mowing the lawn, etc, so I can get to the garage door opener (and the beer in the garage). I don't know what my wife uses it for, but she wanted it.

Back to the point. The battery died and I jump started it. The horn started going nuts, and it now turns out that I have a factory installed alarm that I didn't know about. It's NO WHERE in my paperwork on the truck, and up to this point it was disabled. Turns out the three button key fobs disable / enable the alarm when unlocking, so all is good. The keypad I installed does the same thing, all good.

Two problems, if I use my key instead of the keypad, the alarm goes off. Okay, I can learn to live with that and re-train myself to use the keypad. But the alarm is just way too sensitive. It beeps at every noisy car up and down the street. Thunder sets it off, etc etc etc. Some nice guy here sent me a link to powercode alarm documentation so I can set the sensitivity. Unfortunately I can't set it with the 3 button remote I have. I've tried several combinations of buttons, but to adjust the alarm settings, I need a 4 button remote. I can get into the adjustment mode, but can't adjust.

Does anyone know where I can get such a remote? The dealer was worthless and could only get me a 3 button. Of course this dealer also said I didn't have an alarm either. Or even better, can I just disable the whole thing (without needing the 4 button remote to do it)?

Thanks!
...and sorry for the long winded post.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Didn't realize ford was putting shock and/or proximity sensors on their stock alarms these days. My '99 doesn't have that, and it also shuts the alarm off when the key or the button on the inside is used to unlock the door. Same with my ranger.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 PM
They sure are. bump it and it will beep at you. Kick a tire or close the tailgate and it goes bananas. I bought it brand new. The dealer didn't know it was on there, so it came from the factory, not the dealer. And the powercode alarm instructions I was sent match it perfectly. If only I had the right key fobs. I haven't tried the button on the inside, but the key doesn't turn it off.

Locking, unlocking, then locking again will bypass the alarm until you get in it again, but that's just a bandaid not a fix.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is nothing in the factory manual about this, and I have added the Ford Silver RMST, which does not have the alarm on it.

This sounds a lot like the Gold level system has been installed.

Problem being is you would need to get a set of fobs for the ford gold system, and program them to the RKE/RMST system.

Strange that this came from the factory this way, usually they are not.

If you look up under the dash, do you see a small black box installed ?

Is there a little tin colored cylinder ( about the size of half a large pen ) under the hood ?

If you pop the steering wheel cover, is there a transducer ring around the ign cylinder ?

These would lead me to believe that there is a Ford system ( gold level by your description ) installed.

There should be a push button somewhere for programming it. Mine is right above the hood latch handle, in the cut out, don't know where one might be if it truely came from the factory that way.

Is the dealer sure this was not an inter dealer transfer, where the other dealer installed it, and your just scraped the additional entry fobs ?

Old 04-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, to clarify - your truck did not come from the factory this way. The factory does not currently install any alarm system except for the Panic Button on your keyfob.

More than likely the truck was traded from another dealer before you bought it and they didn't realize this system was present. If this is the Ford dealer-installed system you should be able to get replacement transmitters directly from CodeAlarm.

Or you can just unhook the system as it is typically overlaid on top of the Ford Remote Keyless Entry system.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
...If you look up under the dash, do you see a small black box installed ?

Is there a little tin colored cylinder ( about the size of half a large pen ) under the hood ?

If you pop the steering wheel cover, is there a transducer ring around the ign cylinder ?
There should be a push button somewhere for programming it. Mine is right above the hood latch handle, in the cut out, don't know where one might be if it truely came from the factory that way.

Is the dealer sure this was not an inter dealer transfer, where the other dealer installed it, and your just scraped the additional entry fobs ?

I'll have to look for those parts. There is a push button, it's just to the left and under the steering column. I have put it into programming mode using that switch, but to adjust anything I need the fobs.

I don't believe it was a dealer transfer. I remember seeing the dealers name on some of the Ford paperwork as the destination dealer. I could probably find that again if I looked through my stuff.

I specifically asked the dealer if there was an alarm on the truck and they said absolutely not. The reason I asked is because all the salesman had little keypad remote controls for the vehicles. In order to start and test drive a truck, they had to enter a code and some number off the truck. He had problems getting mine to work when I picked it up. The horn was blowing and he claimed it was just the panic mode that he set off on accident, there was no alarm. I really don't know what this truck has on it, 0other than an annoying noise maker.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep looking into this.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by HMTwin
I'll have to look for those parts. There is a push button, it's just to the left and under the steering column. I have put it into programming mode using that switch, but to adjust anything I need the fobs. ...<snip>...
There is your answer, that is not a factory item right there.

Someone installed a Gold level RMST with Alarm in your truck, and the dope at the dealer did not know it.

Here is what the Silver one looks like, so it could be similar in shape.

The push button switch is really a dead give away on it.

He had problems getting mine to work when I picked it up. The horn was blowing and he claimed it was just the panic mode that he set off on accident, there was no alarm. I really don't know what this truck has on it, 0other than an annoying noise maker.
He would had to have pushed the switch on the fob to do this...let me guess he did not have a factory fob in his hand when he did this ???

Let us know what you find once you get a chance to look.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 04-19-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Went out and looked under the dash. There's a box just like yours. "Ford Motor Company Vehicle Security System." I got the P/N off of it, so maybe now I can figure out just what I have.

Do you have a 3 or 4 button remote with yours?

Thanks
Dave

Old 04-20-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by HMTwin
....<snip>...There's a box just like yours. "Ford Motor Company Vehicle Security System." I got the P/N off of it, so maybe now I can figure out just what I have.

Do you have a 3 or 4 button remote with yours?...<snip>...
Dave,

I have the 4 button one, but it is a silver remote start, no alarm.

Looking at Traivs' site, it seems that the CodeAlarm branded one ( CA-630) uses the same fob as mine ( CodeAlarm CA-530 ).

Either ask Travis if he can get replacement fobs from Code Alarm, or try one of the online remote start fob places ( maybe /www.keylessride.com don't know never tried them for Code Alarm fobs ? )

Old 04-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Your truck has the add-on Ford alarm system. If you look at the top of the brain module it should have the model number 2W7Z-19G361-BA. This unit attaches to your lock and unlock motors allowing it to arm and disarm when it sees signals from those wires. Basically piggy-backs onto your factory keyless system. There are not key fobs for it. It uses your factory ones.

To adjust your shock sensor:
  1. Open your door and turn your dome light on manually with the rolling switch next to your headlight switch
  2. Turn your key to the on position and hold the program button under your dash for 15 seconds until your horn honks three times.
  3. Release the program button and press it again until the horn honks four times.
  4. Press the LOCK button on your door panel and the horn should honk one time. You are now ready to set the warn-away setting of the alarms shock sensor.
  5. Make sure your window is down. Close the door and turn the dome light switch off.
  6. Using the door panel LOCK and UNLOCK you can adjust the warn-away mode of your system. UNLOCK turns it up. LOCK turns it down. I usually hit the vehicles window frame for adjustment. As you strike your truck you should hear the horn honk. You want the warn away to be kind of sensative but not so much that every car going by makes your horn honk.
  7. After you have the Warn-Away setting where you want it. Turn the dome light switch back on. Press the LOCK button on your door. The horn should honk twice. Turn the dome light back off.
  8. You are now in the Full Impact setting. This setting is if your window gets smashed. You want this setting kind of low. I usually set this up where you have to hit the steering wheel fiarly hard to get the horn to honk at you. Adjust this the same way as before.
  9. When you're done just turn the key off and check your system out.

If you start to experience an issue where the truck honks at you for no reason after sitting awhile then you might have the two fields too close together. Sometimes it takes a few adjustments to get it just right.

Last edited by KCAutosound; 04-21-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:44 AM

Travis,

Thanks for teaching me, yet something else new

YOU THE MAN !!!

Steve

Old 04-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks KCAutosound!

The part number on my brain module is different: 2W7J-19A498-AA. I used the instructions from www.gemsen.com, and all those instructions require the 4 button. I'm glad to see that I don't need it.

Is there a way to just disable the alarm altogether? If the remote lock button is pressed twice, it will beep. It's always done that, but I just figured it was telling me the doors were not open and were locked (like what my old expedition used to do). We rarely do that though. Usually just hit the lock button on the door on the way out and that's it. Before these problems I would swear that I could unlock the truck with my key and it wouldn't alarm on me. Is it possible that the alarm was in a mode that required manual activation? So the alarm was either in a bypassed (off) mode all the time, or I was just lucky that I didn't use the key when my wife hit the keyfob button twice.

With the number I gave you above, do you know where I can get my own manual for this describing how to set up and adjust?

Thanks again
Dave

Old 04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
This is what my remote looks like:

Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM

Dave,

Quick question : Do you want the alarm in the truck ?

If not, think about taking it out.

Else, try Travis method on programming it, and move the snesitivity way out ??

Steve

Old 04-21-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't really want it in the truck. Though there are times when it would be nice I guess, like when forced to park somewhere I don't want to park it. I'm just a little apprehensive about taking it out altogether since I have no documentation showing how it went in. I don't want to screw up any of the existing electronics, keyless entry for my wife and door handle keypad, among other things that could potentially go wrong I guess. The best option in my mind would be active arming alarm only. So it only activates when I specifically push the button to activate it. Of course, I'd need to adjust the sensitivity too.

With all that said, and I don't want to change subjects drastically and confuse the issue, a remote start capability would be nice (it's hot in texas!). I would like to add that to the system if it's possible and still manage to get rid of / have control over the alarm. Without starting from scratch that is. The only reason I bring this up is that this needs fixing. If a remote start is going to require ripping this out, then I guess that's the route I'll take. If remote start is a simple add on option to the rest of the package (as it seems to be from what I've seen), then I'd just as soon keep what I have and set it up how I'd like it.

Is KCAutosound the Travis guy you're speaking of? Maybe I should give him a call if he's the expert. He might have an add on box (with instructions..lol) to fix all my ills and add remote start too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: factory alarm - how to disable?