Rear brake squeal when backing up solved

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brake squeal when backing up solved

Squeal from rear brakes when backing up, especially while turning...

- Parking brake scissors plates corrossion welded, everything corroded up and springs almost gone from heat of long term dragging brake - Backing plate w/ ALL parts $85, stripped new plate for swap out of everything - very painless, adjuster had welded tight also.

- Scissors lever - cable attach arm has a rubber boot , its a sloppy fit at best and on mine it had warped 'up' on inside lower flange and allowed rain & road salt spray to drench the innards - I silicone sealed the boots flange to better keep junk out of it - worth checking y'all...

99 F150 in service 4/2000 went 84,000 miles w/ zero maintanance on brakes, not bad IMO but its my own fault for not tearing it apart every two years and doing PM - so its $85 for PB kit and $45 for pads (so far!)

Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool $360 PB & pad refresh :eek:

Final tally

- front left lower caliper slide frozen, $77 for rebuilt caliper
- new front and rear pads $90
- both parking brake adaptor kits changed $190

First rear disc removal was noisy and quite a fight, dead blows with hammer against the face, hammering it 'on' freed up disc fast then walk around rim with jack's lug wrench and screwdrivers finally broke off drum rust rim and allowed disc to slip off even w/ frozen adjuster.

Second disc removal took penetrating oil at hub and ALOT of hammer dead blows, then prying with jack lug wrench to get it to move at all (adjusters were frozen) .... keeping disc centered and not allowing it to 'tilt' made it eventually slip off, in about 1/2 the time of the first one.

The springs had completely lost their temper - don't get into a high mileage rear parking brake w/o replacement springs.

Bled cylnders 3 times after reseating them on new pads, used 12 inches of aquarium hose and only bled enough to fill hose and not spill any, got a few pin-point sized air bubbles that sure firmed the brake pedal feel up better then ever!

I dread paying for new rotors but will have too before too long...

Quick Reply: Rear brake squeal when backing up solved