Roll n Lock vs Retrax Rolltop Cover

Old 01-25-2001, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roll n Lock vs Retrax Rolltop Cover

Hello All,

I read this board regularly, but seldom post. I'm thinking of putting a roll-up cover on my bed. There is a local dealer for Roll n Lock, but not Retrax. If I order from Retrax, it would still cost more than the Roll n Lock. But hey, when you're spending that kind of money, if the higher priced item has something better, then I won't let a $100 difference stand in the way.

I'd like to know if anyone has seen a head to head comparison of both units? Which cover do you own and what do you like about it? I've narrowed my purchase down to these two because I don't want to drill holes in the bed of my truck.

Thanks,

Don Scott
Columbia, SC
DScottSC@Compuserve.com
1998 F150 SC 5.4
1989 Supercharged Cougar XR7 5 spd.
1970 AMC Rebel Machine Red/White/Blue 390-V8 4 spd.
Original owner of all, OK, Dad bought the Machine, cause I was only 11.

Old 01-26-2001, 01:54 PM
I've had the Retrax cover for about 6 months now, and have had no complaints. It works great, even in icy Iowa winters. The front left corner of the bed does get a little water in it during a hard rain, but not enough for me to worry about getting it watertight. The installation instructions leave a a little bit to be desired, but overall I'm very happy.

Old 01-26-2001, 02:38 PM
I'm on my second Retrax. I had no complaints from the first but like the second one even better. It is stronger and I think it seals even better than the first. It's good to see a company that has a good product that is continuously trying to make it better. My first top cracked and they replaced it free of charge (I believe there is a 10 year warranty on the lexan from the manufacturer). Apparently the first few tops were clear Lexan that was painted and the chemical reaction broke the material down at the stress points. Now the Lexan is black from the factory and is a good deal thicker than the original.

I've talked on many occasions with the guys up in ND about their tops. I know that if you put together some sort of group buy they'd cut you a deal ($100 off or so). I've had both of mine put on at the "factory" so I really couldn't comment on the instructions.

Hope my rambling was helpful. This is probably the one product I've purchased for my truck that I'd stand behind.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L SC 4x4 ORP Wedgewood Waldoch - 3.73LS, grey/blue leather, wood dash and door inserts, Lund Deflector, Trenz Billet Antennae, Clear Corner Lenses, Line-X Bedliner, Retrax Bed Cover

1977 1/2 F250 4x4 "Low Boy" 400-4spd

Old 01-30-2001, 05:06 PM
Not familiar with retrax . . .looked at roll n lock .. did not like the bar that needs to be mounted on the tailgate . . .also looked at pace edwards . . .cheaper and good quality but . .you need to use the key every time you open and shut it . . it will not stay closed unless you also lock it with a key . .a big nuisance . .wound up with another fiberglass tonneau instead . .

Old 01-30-2001, 05:26 PM
I also have the Retrax on my Supercrew. I am impressed w/ the quality and its features. I like the fact that I can lock it in any position. They also walked me through the install process and although it took a while,
I am very happy about the fit and finish. I wasn't initially thrilled w/ the shiny black look and would've preferred a flat black finish but I have grown to like it. Although not waterproof, it is weather-tight as I've experienced from taking it through snow and rain...

------------------
2001 Arizona Beige S'Crew Lariat
5.4L, 4WD, Bucket Seats, MoonRoof, LSD, Tow Pkg, Skid Plates, Cab Steps, Rear Slider

Mods:
K&N FIPK
Borla Split Rear Exhaust
16x8 Weld Typhoons
305/70 16 Goodyear ATS
5" RCD Lift
RETRAX Retractable Bed Cover
LineX
Stull Billet Grill
Smittybilt SS Outland Sport Bumper Guard
KC 165W Daylighters
10" JL Audio 10W3 Sub
Kicker 5-Channel Amp
2 pairs of Kicker Resolution 6.5" Components

Old 02-01-2001, 01:24 PM
If you can spend the money, get the retrax! Very nice. It rolls smooth all the time. I've heard of the pace Edwards getting too stiff ( come on it works like one of those ol-fashioned window shades) I doubt the retrax will ever bind up.

The only thing I would change is the black painted side rails. They will stratch easly when lifting stuff over them.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP styleside, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Towing, 17" wheels and 265 tires.
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger, JVC 50W x4 cd player w/remote, Manik brush guard, 2KC daylighters 150watt, Retrax bed cover, Procomp 33 12.5 x17 All Terrains, K&N catback,
Future mods:
Herculiner, WMS velocity tube, SuperChip, 4-5" suspension lift

Old 02-01-2001, 04:37 PM
Question

Mr. Moose:

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for your Retrax? Thanks!

------------------
* 2000 F-150 XLT Black FS; 5.4L
* 4x4 ORP
* 3.55 Limited Slip
* Stepups
* Sliding Rear Window
* 6-Way Power Seat
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Lund Trident Bug Shield
* Custom Exhaust
* Fumoto Oil Drain Plug Valve (a must for do-it-yourselfers!)
* Wise Bedrug

So many mods, so little cash! On the up side, no wife to create a filibuster.

Old 02-01-2001, 08:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Machine:
Hello All,

I read this board regularly, but seldom post. I'm thinking of putting a roll-up cover on my bed. There is a local dealer for Roll n Lock, but not Retrax. If I order from Retrax, it would still cost more than the Roll n Lock. But hey, when you're spending that kind of money, if the higher priced item has something better, then I won't let a $100 difference stand in the way.

I'd like to know if anyone has seen a head to head comparison of both units? Which cover do you own and what do you like about it? I've narrowed my purchase down to these two because I don't want to drill holes in the bed of my truck.

Thanks,

Don Scott
Columbia, SC
DScottSC@Compuserve.com
1998 F150 SC 5.4
</font>

Old 02-01-2001, 08:13 PM
I Found The Rollnlock for $675 at rollnlockmailorderonline.com The Quote I got from retrax was $850 plus $50 shipping QUOTE]Originally posted by Machine:
Hello All,

Thanks,

Don Scott
Columbia, SC
DScottSC@Compuserve.com
1998 F150 SC 5.4
[/QUOTE]

Old 02-04-2001, 02:16 AM
sorry, I forgot abbout this post.
I paid $929 total including shipping half way across the country. Price is steep. You might try to get them down on price or at least free shipping. I was comparing the cost to those fiberglas lids and found it would be a little cheaper. These truck mods are getting pricey!!!!! lol.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP styleside, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Towing, 17" wheels and 265 tires.
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger, JVC 50W x4 cd player w/remote, Manik brush guard, 2KC daylighters 150watt, Retrax bed cover, Procomp 33 12.5 x17 All Terrains, K&N catback,
Future mods:

Old 02-04-2001, 02:30 AM
Thumbs up

$100 off Retrax if you call Joe Oliver at Retrax and mention www.ford-diesel.com Joe's a member of that site and you can look there for more details. The address of the article is:
http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/...%20Bed%20Cover

Old 02-04-2001, 06:55 PM
$850 plus $50 ship was the price from Joe Oliver
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fireman467:
$100 off Retrax if you call Joe Oliver at Retrax and mention www.ford-diesel.com Joe's a member of that site and you can look there for more details. The address of the article is:
[URL=http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/getitems.php3?Part%208%20-%20Retrax%20Bed%20Cover]http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/getitems.php3?Part%208%20-%20Retrax%20Bed%20Cover[/UR L]
</font>

Old 02-04-2001, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Machine:

I have a Roll 'n Lock cover on each of my F-150's.

Unfortunately, the quality of the latest RnL cover is not as good as the original. The latest cover will not fully retract into the magazine in cold conditions, and occasionally the cover will become unlatched from the tailgate and open on its own.

I would definitely recommend a "roll-up" type of cover to maintain the full functionality of the truck box.

I think I will try another brand of cover, maybe the Retrax based on the replies above, for my next rig.

Hope this helps.

Wilk

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 Super Cab; XLT 139" Wheelbase Flairside; Silver Frost Clearcoat; 4.6L. (Romeo); 4-spd Automatic Transmission; Preferred Equipment Package 507A; 3.55 Limited Slip Axle; Electronic Shift 4x4; California Emissions; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Towing Package; Off-Road Package; 6-Way Power Driver's Seat; Remote Keyless Entry/Anti Theft; 6-Disc CD Changer; Ford Bedliner; Ford Running Boards; Ford Nose Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

2000 SVT F-150 LIGHTNING XLT; 120" Wheelbase; Flareside; 5.4L EFI SOHC V8 SC Engine; 4-SPD Automatic; Silver Clearcoat Metallic; SVT Online Store Lightning Front End Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:09 PM
For those of you with the RnL or Retrax covers - how much space do you lose in the bed when they are fully retracted? I would prefer a rolltop cover, but am concerned that I may lose enough space towards the cab to require me to leave the tailgate down to load my ATV in the back.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Jeff

------------------
Y2K SD250 SC XLT, 4x4, 5.4L, Auto; SB; Off Road Pkg; Towing Pkg; Torreador Red; Sliding Back Glass, Tinted Windows

Mods (minor so far):
Westin step bars
Bugflector II bug shield
Pendaliner S/R bedliner
Ventvisors

Old 02-09-2001, 03:54 PM
Retrax takes up around 10", I believe the Roll n' Lock takes less space. This is because the Retrax never touches itself when rolled up. This way you can roll it up dirty or completely muddy/icey and it won't stick.

------------------
Mods:
Future mods:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll n Lock vs Retrax Rolltop Cover