Emergency Brake Hung Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Brake Hung Up

I have a 98 F-150 and I have had a problem with the ABS and the brake light staying on for the past couple weeks, but the brakes have been working fine. Well, today I parked the truck on a pretty steep incline, so I put on the emergency brake and went on my way. When I returned, I get in the truck, start it and release the brake as usual with no problems. I put the truck in drive and step on the gas and the rear drivers side tire seems locked up, as if the brake did not release. I put the e brake pedal down again and released it and still have the same problem. Any ideas as to what the problem could be or where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seldom-used parking brakes tend to do that. It's more than likely a parking brake cable is getting sticky as they tend to gum up. It also could be the linkage inside the drum(s). Time to yank the wheels and drums off and see what's happening in there. Give all the e-brake cables a shot of lube periodically, and most importantly, USE THE PARKING BRAKE OFTEN. That keeps everything free and moving.

-Joe

Old 03-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is, do you have disc rear brakes? If so, I'm doing mine again so I can offer alot of help. I really haven't had any cars with drum rear brakes so I cannot offer much help. In any case, remove everything, replace whatever and anti-sieze the hell out of problem areas that have siezed. Like the guy before said, use the brakes often and this problem will be delayed quite a bit. I also from time to time check that the've released properly so I'm not driving with them on all the time.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake Hung Up