2004 - 2008 F-150

Installing Power Fold Mirrors With The Factory Switch.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Power Fold Mirrors With The Factory Switch.

I just don't have the time to explain this the right way, so I will give you all the info I have and hopefully that will help others to do this mod.

Power fold mirror install with the factory power mirror switch.

These instructions assume that you have a very good knowledge base of how to take your truck apart.

This is how I did the install, I will try to make it as easy to understand as I can.
First you need to have all of the parts and misc. installation items in hand.
Remove both front door panels then remove the center console trim and radio.
Remove the right side fuse panel door, cover and bolt that holds it to the truck.
For 2004 owner’s this will be real easy. Why? You do not have the plug in type of harness from the door to the door frame, you have a rubber boot. 2005 and 2006 owner’s this will be the big pain.

Once you have everything open and exposed you will need to de-pin your pig tail you got from Ford (see part number below) You will then take the wires and place them into your factory power mirror harness
and one from the switch harness (make sure you insert them in the correct way) and in the correct locations
(see the wiring diagram) at this point solder 7 feet of wire from each mirror
and one from the switch harness.
Run the wires inside of the door tape them to the factory harness for those that do not have the plug at the door fish the wires to the inside of the cab.
Those with the pug (this will be a BIG pain in the ars) look at the photo of how I did it I drilled one 3/8 hole in each part of the plug (lots of room and slots not being used)

make sure you line them up, pull the wires very slowly
as you do that connect your plug back in and CLIP IN DOWN
I placed my PFM relay behind the in the center of the dash.
Hook it up as the wire diagrams show. Bolt on your PFM test and you should be ready to close it up.

Wire diagrams can be foung here
from another member that did it without the factory switch.

I know this not as good a write up as some others have done but with all of the emails inregaurds to this mod I wanted to get it out ASAP.
First the players:

Right hand power fold mirror/ part number 5L3Z-17683-AA
Left hand power fold mirror/ part number 5L3Z-17683-AA
Power fold relay part number 5L3Z-17L684-AA
Wire pig tail part number 3U2Z-14S411-AJA
Fusible link auto parts store.
12 Gauge roll of wire 100 feet.
Blade connectors 5 (for the relay)
Tape and misc.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a cool mod. I am going to bookmark this post so I can do this down the road.

How much did this mod run you?

Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting this info. I've wanted to do this mod since the day I bought my truck, but I also wanted to avoid adding an aftermarket switch.

I do need clarification of one point, though: do I also need to buy the KR power mirror switch to replace the stock power mirror switch in my FX4? It sounds as if you were able to get this to work using the factory switch that comes with the non-KR models.

Thanks!
C-17 Pilot

Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow I've been waiting on someone to figure this out forever. But now that I see it, it looks like way too much work. Besides I had the mirrors painted in the mean time, so I'll just leave it the way it is.

Duke

Old 01-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by C-17 Pilot
Thanks for posting this info. I've wanted to do this mod since the day I bought my truck, but I also wanted to avoid adding an aftermarket switch.

I do need clarification of one point, though: do I also need to buy the KR power mirror switch to replace the stock power mirror switch in my FX4? It sounds as if you were able to get this to work using the factory switch that comes with the non-KR models.

Thanks!
C-17 Pilot
I would like to do this mod myself and using a factory switch would be great but I would also like to know what the entire parts list is. If I neeed to buy that switch also. That way I can price out the mod and see if the aftermaket sw is more cost effective.

Jack

Old 02-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by JackDob
I would like to do this mod myself and using a factory switch would be great but I would also like to know what the entire parts list is. If I neeed to buy that switch also. That way I can price out the mod and see if the aftermaket sw is more cost effective.

Jack
The parts list in my post is a complete one, no new switch is needed.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:46 PM
What is the setup as far as the module goes what wire goes where?

Old 02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by 2001SUPERCREW
The parts list in my post is a complete one, no new switch is needed.
I'm back trying to get the parts for this and I am using this website trademotion.com to lookup the parts and the part numbers for the mirrors or the relay asm and they are not coming back as valid.

The wire harness is coming back with a description and a price of $25.88. Any ideas...

The numbers from your post you have the mirrors L+R as the same P/N so there is a possibility that the numbers are wrong but the original pdf doc that details the installation with a momentary switch has two parts listed as R+L mirrors are 5L3Z-17683-AAA and 5L3Z-17682-AAA but those parts don't come back either..

Maybe there are substituted or have neen substituded to new p/ns???

Jack

Old 02-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Call your local ford dealer or fordpartsonline.com and they will tell you if there is a substituted part number. Just give them the Part numbers listed for the L & R mirrors from the pdf.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ascii
Call your local ford dealer or fordpartsonline.com and they will tell you if there is a substituted part number. Just give them the Part numbers listed for the L & R mirrors from the pdf.
OK, sounds reasonable.. they were vaild once.. software should look for replacements...

Thanks

Jack

Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write-up...

Old 02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
i've been following the PFM tread for quite some time. awesome to hear that it's finally working. I'm getting ready to put mine in and am confused about the instructions. Does anyone have specific instructions on what wire goes where? The link for the wiring diagram goes to the original writeup and i'm not sure if it matches the stock switch/PFM relay.

any help would be appreciative.

thanks in advance

Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Thats what I was talking about.

The only wiring diagram for the pfm I know of is the one that I made and it was done based on the diagrams on my ford dvds. So I have no idea if it works or not.

2001SUPERCREW needs to chime in for us and clarify.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Resurecting another post old post....

2001Supercrew - how did you get the vehicle side of the connector (connector with white surround) out so you could get to it?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by jdew1920
Resurecting another post old post....

2001Supercrew - how did you get the vehicle side of the connector (connector with white surround) out so you could get to it?

That's why I say this is a PITA for the 2005 and up guys. All I did was move what ever was in the way (it is tight) to get my dril bit on it to dril the holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Power Fold Mirrors With The Factory Switch.